Clearing the air, we most likely hold the

Mikie2times

Their has been a lot of misinformation spreading around about a possible Bills/Jets playoff tie breaker. This post is meant to set the record straight about how the tie breaker works within the division. First of all throw out conference record because within the division it is the 4th procedure used to determine who wins. Here are the top four followed by how this applies to the Jets and Bills.

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

1. We split the series so move onto #2

2. If the Jets beat the Patriots, or we lose to Miami, the Jets win. If we beat Miami and the Jets lose to New England we tie. Since that is the most likely scenario lets move onto #3.

3. All this is assuming we run the table and the Jets lose to New England, the reason I am assuming this is because in order to make the playoffs we need to run the table. Secondly in order to advance to tie breaker #3 the Jets need to lose to New England. If this happens and the Jets finish 10-6 they can't win tiebreaker #3 over us under any conditions. It's mathematically impossible and heres why.

The Jets are 8-3 with 5 games to play, in order to even tie us in the common game tie breaker they would need wins against Pitt, Seattle, and St Louis. Well if they win those three games they will be 11-5 giving them the better record and the nod over us. To sum up this colostomy bag if the Jets lose to New England and finish 10-6 we will win a tie breaker if we finish with the same record.

Their has been a lot of misinformation spreading around about a possible Bills/Jets playoff tie breaker. This post is meant to set the record straight about how the tie breaker works within the division. First of all throw out conference record because within the division it is the 5th procedure used to determine who wins. Here are the top four followed by how this applies to the Jets and Bills.

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

1. We split the series so move onto #2

2. If the Jets beat the Patriots, or we lose to Miami, the Jets win. If we beat Miami and the Jets lose to New England we tie. Since that is the most likely scenario lets move onto #3.

3.  All this is assuming we run the table and the Jets lose to New England, the reason I am assuming this is because in order to make the playoffs we need to run the table. Secondly in order to advance to tie breaker #3 the Jets need to lose to New England.  If this happens and the Jets finish 10-6 they can't win tiebreaker #3 over us under any conditions. It's mathematically impossible, and heres why.

The Jets are 8-3 with 5 games to play, in order to even tie us in the common game tie breaker they would need wins against Pitt, Seattle, and St Louis. Well if they win those three games they will be 11-5 giving them the better record and the nod over us.  To sum up this colostomy bag if the Jets lose to New England and finish 10-6 we will win a tie breaker if we finish with the same record.

145444[/snapback]

What happened to Denver in this mix, since they only have one hard game to play?

What happened to Denver in this mix, since they only have one hard game to play?

145482[/snapback]

They got SD, Indy, @KC, @TENN and MIA....

SD/INDY should be loses, just need one more from KC/TENN or MIA....When does Holmes comeback??

They got SD, Indy, @KC, @TENN and MIA....

SD/INDY should be loses, just need one more from KC/TENN or MIA....When does Holmes comeback??

145483[/snapback]

I think Holmes is done this season. I would be willing to bet if we finish 10-6 we make the playoffs. If Vegas set the lines it would probably be even money we make it at 10-6. The unthinkable is very possible as long as we take care of our end.

One game at a time.  I would really like to see Buffalo 9-6 going into the 17th week against a Pittsburgh team that has nothing to play for.  Then I think we've got a chance.

145543[/snapback]

I agree and have said the same thing to many of my friends. I just want to get to the Pittsburgh game with something to play for. Half the board has said Pittsburgh will likely not be playing for anything and thats why we have a chance.

It doesn't matter what Pittsburgh is playing for, I don't care who it is, if the Bills had one game to reach the playoffs in Buffalo I think they could beat anybody. The momentum this team would have going into that game would be unmeasurable. The weather, the fans, no team in the NFL would beat us on that day. We have to crawl to walk and walk to run, but if we get to 9-6, and the chips fall right, we make the playoffs.

Guest Southern Man's reality check
I think Holmes is done this season.  I would be willing to bet if we finish 10-6 we make the playoffs. If Vegas set the lines it would probably be even money we make it at 10-6.  The unthinkable is very possible as long as we take care of our end.

145540[/snapback]

I keep hearing the optimists on the board saying Pittsburgh will have nothing to play for and be resting their starters. That would be really nice, but there's a damn good chance they'll be fighting for home field advantage over the Pats. If they go into the final week tied or with one less win than the Pats, they'll be extremely motivated to win. If they somehow have a one win advantage going into the final week, they'll have already wrapped up home field advantage (having won the earlier head-to-head matchup with the Pats).

NFL players have a lot of pride, and I doubt, regardless of standing, they'll just lay down and play possum. Should the second stringers be thrust into the game, they'll be motivated to show their stuff and play their "A" game.

Seems to me that the odds are the Steelers will be coming to the Ralph geared up to win, so y'all can stop with the "Steelers will be mailing it in" mentality.

One advantage the Bills may carry into this game will be Mularkey & Clement's familiarity with the Pittsburgh personnel.

Bottom line: if the Bills are truly playoff worthy, with so much on the line(assuming they run the table), they should be able to stop the visiting Steelers.

Guest Southern Man....

The above post was supposed to be a reply to BB2004 and others continue the "Pittsburgh - a team that has nothing to play for" mantra.

BTW to Kzoomike, nice breakdown to the possible playoff scenerios in a Bills/Jets tie.

Seems to me that division tie breakers are irrelevant when it comes to determining wild cards. Head to head, yes, but conference records come in 2nd if I recall.

Sorry to pop the bubble guys, I like your senarios better ....

Seems to me that division tie breakers are irrelevant when it comes to determining wild cards.  Head to head, yes, but conference records come in 2nd if I recall.

Sorry to pop the bubble guys, I like your senarios better ....

145732[/snapback]

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Their has been a lot of misinformation spreading around about a possible Bills/Jets playoff tie breaker. This post is meant to set the record straight about how the tie breaker works within the division. First of all throw out conference record because within the division it is the 4th procedure used to determine who wins. Here are the top four followed by how this applies to the Jets and Bills.

145444[/snapback]

Nice break-down, Mikey. Thanx. :rolleyes:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

145735[/snapback]

Outstanding, I really want to be wrong about this. One possible, and big, Gotcha in this is if there is a 3 way tie. Skip step 1, Bills go home.

Outstanding, I really want to be wrong about this.  One possible, and big, Gotcha in this is if there is a 3 way tie.  Skip step 1, Bills go home.

145739[/snapback]

More good news

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the three Wild-Card participants.

Like I said, if the Jets finish 10-6 we 100% guaranteed go ahead of them if we finish with the same record and they lose to the Patriots.

Outstanding, I really want to be wrong about this.  One possible, and big, Gotcha in this is if there is a 3 way tie.  Skip step 1, Bills go home.

145739[/snapback]

All the new format tiebreakers from espn. In either two- or three- club wildcard tiebreakers, division tiebreakers apply for any teams in the same division before proceeding to the next tiebreaking step.