Chris Carter vs. Andre Reed

Without looking at stats or excel spreadsheets that would show who was better mathematically, Reed was the better receiver. His catches over the middle, his ability to get open, and his run after the catch were up with (but not better than) Rice. Neither Kelly nor Thomas would have had the careers they did without Reed. Who can forget in the Cleveland playoff game, when he took a simple hook, made someone miss, and ran seventy plus yards for a touchdown. This is not to say that Carter should not be in but Reed should have been in before him.

I can see where the voters would not have wanted to put three Bills in last year, but it should have had no impact on this year for Andre.

Just think of the numbers Reed would have put up if he was out West or played in a dome....How many games were "non passing" games due to weather throughout his career.....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here, here! Very few receivers ever came close to Andre's ability to run after the catch. 951 catches as well. Carter had 1101 catches so clearly he was no slouch, but Buffalo was never as pass happy as Minny was was back in the day and Andre and Kelly had their spats and for whatever reason, Kelly ignored him at times.

I'll never forget Carter's last year when he signed after the season started to play for Miami. He looked axtremely old, slow, and I do recall "Mr. Hands" dropping a few balls as well. I actually enjoyed his failure with Miami as he's an egotistical athlete short on intelligence.

Carter was great, but so was Andre. Trouble with Andre is that he made it look so easy, those that followed the Bills back then often took Andre for granted. After recently watching some highlight videos of him, I came away in awe of what he could do. Andre deserves HOF every bit as much, if not more so than Carter.

Hossage clearly missed it.

And how did Andre look in his last three years in Buffalo and training camp in Denver? Slow old and pathetic. His record breaking catch in his own words wasn't even a pattern.

I still believe he should be in the HOF over Monk, Brown, and Irvin but Randy Moss is way better, Carter was significantly better, and obviously Rice was in a league of his own.

Hmmm pretty sure he had his own HOF QB throwing to him for the majority of his career.

Yeah, I'm aware of who his quarterbacks were.

Kelly was great, but Rice had two greats, each in their prime, successively. I think it would be fair to say that Jerry Rice had better quarterbacking throughout WHOLE career. A few seasons can mean a lot when it comes to stats.

Without looking at stats or excel spreadsheets that would show who was better mathematically, Reed was the better receiver. His catches over the middle, his ability to get open, and his run after the catch were up with (but not better than) Rice. Neither Kelly nor Thomas would have had the careers they did without Reed. Who can forget in the Cleveland playoff game, when he took a simple hook, made someone miss, and ran seventy plus yards for a touchdown. This is not to say that Carter should not be in but Reed should have been in before him.

I can see where the voters would not have wanted to put three Bills in last year, but it should have had no impact on this year for Andre.

Recently I was looking at old Houston Gambler footage on Youtube.. Jim Kelly had an unbelievable arm.. His throws were effortless and they were on the money anywhere on the field.. So I disagree about Kelly not having the career he did without Andre Reed... When Andre left Buffalo he was the second leading reciever of all time, (catches) but Carter passed him a year or so later as did Tim brown and several others.. However the man does deserve to be in the Hall of Fame...!!!

I just got done watching the NFL Network's "10 players who belong in the Hall of Fame."

Tasker was #9.

Reed was #5.

Rod Woodson (a guy who actually played in the NFL, was a top cornerback, and might know a thing or two about receivers) said that Reed deserves to be in the HOF over Michael Irvin. How's that for a ringing endorsement?

A few people on the segment made similar comments as are posted here - he was very good, but not HOF caliber. They also mentioned that offenses have exploded nowadays, so everyone and their brother gets 50 catches and 1000 yards. It doesn't diminish how great the guy was, and a lot of people seemed to agree he belongs in the HOF (several people said he deserves it more than Irvin -- one guy said something like, "When I heard Irvin got in over Reed, I thought it was bullBLEEP."

I didn't see Cris Carter's name mentioned in the top 10 (although I was fast forwarding so may have missed it).

I just got done watching the NFL Network's "10 players who belong in the Hall of Fame."

Tasker was #9.

Reed was #5.

Rod Woodson (a guy who actually played in the NFL, was a top cornerback, and might know a thing or two about receivers) said that Reed deserves to be in the HOF over Michael Irvin. How's that for a ringing endorsement?

A few people on the segment made similar comments as are posted here - he was very good, but not HOF caliber. They also mentioned that offenses have exploded nowadays, so everyone and their brother gets 50 catches and 1000 yards. It doesn't diminish how great the guy was, and a lot of people seemed to agree he belongs in the HOF (several people said he deserves it more than Irvin -- one guy said something like, "When I heard Irvin got in over Reed, I thought it was bullBLEEP."

I didn't see Cris Carter's name mentioned in the top 10 (although I was fast forwarding so may have missed it).

Nice post. And to reiterate:

… at the most recent Hall of Fame vote, Andre Reed made the list of top ten finalists.

Cris Carter did not.

I actually know a producer who works at ESPN. I used to sell him pills. He says they just take someone elses list of ten players and put it on the air without much thought. It is more about the footage they have and the story than the list.