Bills QBs of the last ten years

Since the Bills franchise has been in the toilet for the last 10 years, ranking the QB's against each other seems futile, the argument becomes who's line is worse,who had the worst receivers, etc., and for the most part they all had crap teams. I'll just rank them against their peers, personal best QB NFL rankings.

1 Bledsoe 2nd ranked QB in NFL 2002

2 Flutie 10th 1999

3 Losman 18th 2006

4 Johnson 24th 2000

5 Edwards 25th 2008

6 AVP 30th 2001

7 Fitz 32nd 2009

Thats depressing and except for Bledsoe and Flutie embarassing

I've always lumped him and Brad Johnson in a similar category, though I think Johnson threw the ball more. Decent arms, good decision makers, good game managers, give you what you need without a lot of flash therefore not in the highlight reels enough for the ESPN watching world to fall in love with them.

Trent Dilfer's career passer rating was 70.2; as compared to 82.5 for Brad Johnson. A significant difference! During the year the Bucs won the Super Bowl, Johnson achieved a QB rating of 92.9, averaged 6.8 yards per attempt, and had 22 TDs to just 6 INTs. That's a lot more than you'd expect from just a caretaker QB.

During the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl Trent Dilfer had a QB rating of 76.6, averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt, and threw 12 TDs to 11 INTs. That was a decent, but not spectacular, performance.

In 2005, Kelly Holcomb had a QB rating of 85.6, averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt, and threw 10 TDs to 8 INTs. Those represent slightly better numbers than Dilfer, achieved under much worse circumstances. Dilfer was playing behind Hall of Fame-level Ogden at LT back in 2000; whereas Holcomb had no offensive line at all. The pass protection of the 2005 Bills' OL was bad to atrocious even by the standards of the Bills of the 2000s; which is saying an awful lot indeed.

I was surprised to see some people rank Dilfer significantly higher than Holcomb. It seemed like those people were rewarding Dilfer for having been surrounded with a lot of talent; while punishing Holcomb for the fact that the Bills' offense of 2005 surrounded its QBs with very little talent.

If Dilfer or Holcomb was QB for the Bills in 2004 against the 3rd-string Steelers instead of Brain Dead Drew,

the Bills would've made the playoffs,

TD and Meathead would've still been in town for at least a couple more years,

and Levy-Jauron would never have had an opportunity to destroy the franchise.