Rugby star gets interest from NFL teams

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...from-nfl-teams/

Rugby star gets interest from NFL teams

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 15, 2010 1:08 PM ET

NFL teams including the Broncos and Bills have expressed some interest in Austrailian rugby star Greg Inglis, according to the Sunday Mail in Australia.

The 23-year-old won the "Golden Boot" award as the best rugby player in the world last year. He likely would just get a tryout, and he seems likely to continue playing rugby for the immediate future.

If Inglis tried to cross over, the 238-pounder would probably try out as a kick returner and linebacker.

"I know for a fact, if Greg was keen, there would be four clubs who would take him tomorrow," said Cameron McGillivray, who works for an Australian Academy that helps prepare players -- mostly kickers and punters -- to prepare for American football.

"They've got some scouts out here and a few of the scouts thought Greg would be a sensation in the game," Melbourne Storm manager Allan Gainey said.

i know no one cares, but he plays "rugby league" which is different from (and inferior to, in my opinion)"rugby union." Different game, different rules, different number of players. it's really popular in oz but not as much in other countries. The union code is what is played on college campuses here in the u.s.

anyway, i wish the guy luck.

i know no one cares, but he plays "rugby league" which is different from (and inferior to, in my opinion)"rugby union." Different game, different rules, different number of players. it's really popular in oz but not as much in other countries. The union code is what is played on college campuses here in the u.s.

anyway, i wish the guy luck.

Jester, care to give any insight on that. . .

Either way i hope someone else takes him on adn tries im out. We dont need any more projects. We also dont need to publicity this would cause if it fails. With that being said if he gets a shot, i hope he does well. . .

this is rugby union: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45jqBbBjYDo cue it up at 3:20 for one of the greatest tries by the USA team ever.

this is rugby league (that's what Inglis plays). it's like "rugby lite" to me. but it's flashier and trendier, i think, even though it's also been around for a very long time.

rucks and scrums are basically non-existent in rugby league. it's a faster paced game, though.

the scoring is different too: 4 pts for a try in league and 2 points for a conversion; 5 points for a try in union and 2 for a conversion.

rugby league has 13 to a side, rugby union has 15.

mind you i have never played the game...i just picked it up as a spectator sport 5 years ago and got hooked. Go The All Blacks!

Being a massive Bills fan from Sydney Australia, I guess I have to opportunity to watch all 3 sports (Rugby league, Rugby union and the NFL) religiously when they are on, and I think it would be interesting to see a player like Inglis give the NFL a go.

I have actually played all 3 sports over the years and like I said earlier on TSW when the news about Inglis first came up, I think Inglis's sport rugby League is actually more suited for the NFL then Rugby Union. (even though Union is a better sport then league IMO)

The reason being is that in Rugby League when you get the ball, the opposing team has to be 10 meters back when they start running with the ball. So the players are known for being great tacklers especially in the open field and it is also such a high impact sport like the NFL.

League is actually my least favourite out of the 3 sports and Inglis plays for my most hated team in the League so I would love for him to come to the Bills where I could support him.

I know lots of people on here believe it's impossible for these players to make it in the NFL and they are probably right. all im saying is that a guy like this has the right raw skills that it could work. I dont know if any of you have heard of Jonah Lomu? (those who saw Invictus would know who he is) He was A New Zealand rugby union player who the Dallas Cowboys offered Millions to play for them, And I believe without a doubt he could have made it in the NFL because he was a monster

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/146059-...e-it-in-the-nfl

I dont think Inglis is as big and strong as Lomu, but he is still in the same mould of player.

Like I also mentioned earlier in another post, I don't think this is not a possibility for this season as we are in week 12 of a 26 week season so he is still on contract for another few months so if they signed him it will be a while before you see him.

Anyway thats just my two cents. GO BILLS!!!

Being a massive Bills fan from Sydney Australia, I guess I have to opportunity to watch all 3 sports (Rugby league, Rugby union and the NFL) religiously when they are on, and I think it would be interesting to see a player like Inglis give the NFL a go.

I have actually played all 3 sports over the years and like I said earlier on TSW when the news about Inglis first came up, I think Inglis's sport rugby League is actually more suited for the NFL then Rugby Union. (even though Union is a better sport then league IMO)

The reason being is that in Rugby League when you get the ball, the opposing team has to be 10 meters back when they start running with the ball. So the players are known for being great tacklers especially in the open field and it is also such a high impact sport like the NFL.

League is actually my least favourite out of the 3 sports and Inglis plays for my most hated team in the League so I would love for him to come to the Bills where I could support him.

I know lots of people on here believe it's impossible for these players to make it in the NFL and they are probably right. all im saying is that a guy like this has the right raw skills that it could work. I dont know if any of you have heard of Jonah Lomu? (those who saw Invictus would know who he is) He was A New Zealand rugby union player who the Dallas Cowboys offered Millions to play for them, And I believe without a doubt he could have made it in the NFL because he was a monster

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/146059-...e-it-in-the-nfl

I dont think Inglis is as big and strong as Lomu, but he is still in the same mould of player.

Like I also mentioned earlier in another post, I don't think this is not a possibility for this season as we are in week 12 of a 26 week season so he is still on contract for another few months so if they signed him it will be a while before you see him.

Anyway thats just my two cents. GO BILLS!!!

As an American living in Australia for the last 5 years, I also get to watch all 3. I think it would be interesting to see him get on team.

Here is the Rugby League and Union websites. They have some free video on there if you guys want to check the game out.

http://www.nrl.com/

http://www.superxv.com/

One of the reasons you don't see rugby stars switching to the NFL is, well, the same reason you don't see them going the other way. Switching sports is never a sure thing. Why would a star take the risk? A professional in either sport has fame and is already earning decent money. At best he can prove he can make it in both sports. More likely he will ride the bench somewhere earning the salary minimum. At worst he gets a career-ending injury fooling around in a sport he doesn't know. Can you see a Randy Moss taking a year off from the NFL just to see if he can make it as a wing for Ulster or Toulouse?

Rugby and Football are both physical, high risk sports. We've seen one or two NFL players try to play the MLB or the NBA. As a vanity thing, those sports are pretty safe. But how many established NBA or MLB players have risked actual careers trying to make an NFL team?