Compare and contrast

Why did you include the compare link?

The contrast link is pretty tough stuff. I don't see anything wrong with Euthanasia, but it gets tricky when the person being euthanized doesn't have the mental ability to make the decision. Tricky is a bad word- makes it sound too trivial.

This is an issue where I'd have to see this on a case by case basis. I truly don't think parents of babies billsfanone to suffer and die would do this for convenience; nor would the family of a person in a coma or with irreversible brain damage, pain/ALS etc. Having been through the latter with relatives, it's a terribly personal decision, and despite people's arguments to the contrary, hospitals that euthanize are not dealers in death, or somehow cheapen life.

If I was in a coma or lost control of my decision-making ability and I was in pain and suffering with no likely chance of recovery, I would want (and have filled out all the necessary directives) for someone to let me go. Having made that decision, I would want it done with dignity and professionalism, assisted by medical personel if necessary. And to those people I would be grateful- not because they cheapened my life, but because they would have let me and my relatives live the way we chose.

My wife is a hospice worker, and she tells me that most people, at the end of their lives, want to insure that they die on their terms, and they set those terms before they lose consciousness where they can. The terms are usually, not in pain, surrounded by some people they love, and if possible, at home rather than in a hospital.