Does this bother anyone else?

The three stories the NY Times lists on its front page under the Sports heading are:

A semi-confession in the Virginia murder by a lacrosse player

CBS might sell the rights to the tournament to ESPN

The recovery of an injured snowboarder

To me, none of those stories are about sports. Granted, the third one is the closest. But the first one is about a murder by one person who plays a sport of another person who plays a sport. The second one is about a TV deal.

I know, if I want sports coverage I shouldn't be going to the NY Times. Still, it seems like ESPN and, worse, Sports Illustrated are just as bad about this. One of the few outlets that I think actually covers "sports" in its sports section is the Buffalo News.

The three stories the NY Times lists on its front page under the Sports heading are:

A semi-confession in the Virginia murder by a lacrosse player

CBS might sell the rights to the tournament to ESPN

The recovery of an injured snowboarder

To me, none of those stories are about sports. Granted, the third one is the closest. But the first one is about a murder by one person who plays a sport of another person who plays a sport. The second one is about a TV deal.

I know, if I want sports coverage I shouldn't be going to the NY Times. Still, it seems like ESPN and, worse, Sports Illustrated are just as bad about this. One of the few outlets that I think actually covers "sports" in its sports section is the Buffalo News.

Those are actually pretty tame examples. A quick look at the Headlines on ESPN show 10 "soap opera" stories related to sports and 5 stories that actually pertain to games that took place or are about to take place. Most of those soap opera stories don't pertain to anything that happened remotely near the field of play.

What do you expect? You have a 24x7 media desperately trying to fill the hours with anything they can grasp.

There was a time when your local paper ran a grand total of one article about the draft and not another article about football between the Super Bowl and training camp.