How come teams fall apart when the star QB leaves/retires

but continue their success even after a losing a left tackle?

1/5 of a line and many plays not directly affecting him. QB involved in the majority of all offensive plays. I would say that teams do suffer when their LT goes down, if they don't have a capable back up. Not all that easy to quantify but certainly very few teams have 2nd string QB's who are close in ability to the starter.

Good point. Obviously you make an assumption that said QB is / or will become a star. Got someone other than Clausen in mind that has to be taken at No 9 that won't be there at No 41?

I think it is. And one I haven't seen raised here before.

Obviously, the prospect has to be worthy. I also don't think they should putz around with the Qb's that don't grade out as first round talents (please, spare me the Tom Brady/ Joe Montana bit, I know about them). If Clausen is there, bad press aside, they should take him.

The season is pointless without a qb at least in development.

1/5 of a line and many plays not directly affecting him. QB involved in the majority of all offensive plays. I would say that teams do suffer when their LT goes down, if they don't have a capable back up. Not all that easy to quantify but certainly very few teams have 2nd string QB's who are close in ability to the starter.

No. I'm not talking about injury! Are you being disingenuous?

I'm talking replacing the main man, the head honcho. Jim Kelly fer instance. Or John Elway, Dan Marino, even Bernie Kosar!

I'm talking about teams that are perrenial playoff teams under a particular guy, not doing so well for a while, until they are lucky enough to get another quality Qb. As opposed to the same kinda teams suddenly pooping the bed, unable to compete for any prizes when their almighty LT leaves/retires.

Get it? It's a popular discussion around here, this LT/QB conflict, 'specially round draft time,