NBA Player Contracts and Draft

Virgil

With all this talk about the Labor Contracts, it makes me think about how the NBA runs their player relations and wonder if that isn't the exact model the NFL should follow.

1 - Rookie Salaries are structured and pre-determined by pick - None of this crap about rookies being the highest paid at their position without ever playing a snap. No more team not drafting players cause they can't afford to sign them.

2 - NBA Lottery - We get it, the Lions suck. How many times do we need to give them a top 3 pick before they finally learn how to draft? I sincerely doubt that any teams are tanking their final games to get a better pick, but I think there should be some parity around the top 5 picks. Also, the lottery selection night is a pretty fun night to watch. Overall, I think this is the least of the concerns for the NFL, but I like the concept of it.

3 - Cap help for re-signing your own - Now, I don't know exactly how this works, but LeBron James is a Free Agent this summer. Yet somehow, Cleveland is able to sign LeBron to a contract that is 30 million dollars richer than any other team. Whether he leaves or not is undeterminied, but I love the idea. NFL teams should be able pay out more money to players they originially drafted or have it count less against their cap.

I'm not going to pretend to be a fan of Basketball. I watch 'Cuse and hope the Knicks get LeBron so I can try to watch again, but if what I know above to be true, I think that would be a huge fix to the NFL. Do that, add two regular season games and reduce the preseason by 2, and I think you have a much, MUCH better product.

i agree the nfl should do similar to the nba with the rookie salaries.

but.. not the rest... the lottery was invoked to prevent teams from tanking it to get the top pick. with only 16 game season... almost every team is in it with 5 games to go. in the nba, your done by march if you aint runnin 8-9 in the division.

protecting your own is done in the nba cuz there aint revenue sharing. having to pay extra like that in the nfl would kill the small market teams. the nba also allows teams to go over the cap. they have to pay a luxury tax when they do that. dallas and wash could do that regularly without a problem. that would drive salaries higher and keep stars out of small markets. also... the nba is a whole different ballgame for trades... you must match salary slots and a lot of times it requires 3 and 4 teams to consumate a trade

if the nfl forgoes revenue sharing, to make it fair in the nfl, they almost have adopt salary ranges for players so that the dallas' and wash's can't have a leg up