Build From the Trenches

I been reading all these ridiculous mock drafts and fantasies about the draft. If you want to be a champion/competative team then you build from the inside out, good/ championship type teams win the battles in the trenches. Offensive and defensive lines thats where it starts. I cant remember a quarterback winning a superbowl on his own with no offensive or defensive line help. But i do remeber teams winning superbowls without great quarterbacks beacause they dominated in the trenches.

With that being said, i believe we should draft big men early. My first choice would be OT Brian Bulaga, if hes off the board by the 9th pick i think we should trade down and try to pick up and extra 3rd or 4th round pick. If we trade down then i would focus on a big DT maybe Dan Williams or Terrance Cody depending how far down we trade. In the second i would focus on OT Someone like Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell or Jared Veldheer should be available for us. If for some fortunate reasone OT brian Bulaga Falls to us at the 9th pick then i would focus on a DT like Cam Thomas in the second who can eat up space. In the third round depending on if we traded down and picked up an extra 3rd round pick then you can go in a variety of positions OLB/WR/RB/QB Guys like OLB possible OLB Jason Worilds, WR Andre Roberts, and RB Joe Mcknight. But for My money Late in the 3rd if we have two picks or with my only 3rd round pick i would like to see Buffalo pick up QB John Skelton this guy has all the physical tools needed at the nfl level and can make all the throws (read up on this guy) to me he's a better nfl prospect than Tebow, Pike, Le fefevour hes got everything you need, and with the right tootaledge from Gailey he has all the makeing of a Flacco. In the 4th round i'd like to see buffalo address DE with someone like C.J Wilson. Thats as far as my draft goes anything further than 4 rounds is really stretching it.

Well i just had to vent, i'm tired of hearing all these crazy predictions and fantasy wants, im trying to be a little more realistic and build a solid core, im tired of lossing and want to build a winner the right way. Be glad to hear peoples opinion on this topic.

Idk what mocks on here you have been reading alot of people want to build fromo the trenches first and have said they want a NT or LT with the #9 pick...saying everyone else's opinions are stupid and senseless and your's is right is not a good way to start here tho...fair warning

I been reading all these ridiculous mock drafts and fantasies about the draft. If you want to be a champion/competative team then you build from the inside out, good/ championship type teams win the battles in the trenches. Offensive and defensive lines thats where it starts. I cant remember a quarterback winning a superbowl on his own with no offensive or defensive line help. But i do remeber teams winning superbowls without great quarterbacks beacause they dominated in the trenches.

With that being said, i believe we should draft big men early. My first choice would be OT Brian Bulaga, if hes off the board by the 9th pick i think we should trade down and try to pick up and extra 3rd or 4th round pick. If we trade down then i would focus on a big DT maybe Dan Williams or Terrance Cody depending how far down we trade. In the second i would focus on OT Someone like Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell or Jared Veldheer should be available for us. If for some fortunate reasone OT brian Bulaga Falls to us at the 9th pick then i would focus on a DT like Cam Thomas in the second who can eat up space. In the third round depending on if we traded down and picked up an extra 3rd round pick then you can go in a variety of positions OLB/WR/RB/QB Guys like OLB possible OLB Jason Worilds, WR Andre Roberts, and RB Joe Mcknight. But for My money Late in the 3rd if we have two picks or with my only 3rd round pick i would like to see Buffalo pick up QB John Skelton this guy has all the physical tools needed at the nfl level and can make all the throws (read up on this guy) to me he's a better nfl prospect than Tebow, Pike, Le fefevour hes got everything you need, and with the right tootaledge from Gailey he has all the makeing of a Flacco. In the 4th round i'd like to see buffalo address DE with someone like C.J Wilson. Thats as far as my draft goes anything further than 4 rounds is really stretching it.

Well i just had to vent, i'm tired of hearing all these crazy predictions and fantasy wants, im trying to be a little more realistic and build a solid core, im tired of lossing and want to build a winner the right way. Be glad to hear peoples opinion on this topic.

Good job being the first to post this Nostradamus.

It doesn't sound like you have a draft philosophy past throwing out popular names. Have you been watching college football all year scouting these guys? I don't know much more than what the people in the media have said about any of these guys and am guessing you know about the same. How do you know Bulaga isn't going to be a bust and we'll all be pissed that we'd didn't take the next Chris Johnson in CJ Spiller? It sounds like you read a mock draft somewhere you didn't like or someone's post here and decided to setup an account to be smarter than everyone else. That's poor form. I kind of hope they do draft a non-lineman at 9 now just so you can eat your liver.

To be honest, I think we should get some linemen in the draft this year as well, but I don't think I really want a potential LT (probably the 3rd rated guy) who might end up as a RT with the 9th pick. I'd rather have a difference maker. If that's a defensive or offensive linemen, then all the better. If not, we'll probably get some later in the draft. In fact we'll probably get more than one no matter what. I'd be fine with a pass rusher though.

Idk what mocks on here you have been reading alot of people want to build fromo the trenches first and have said they want a NT or LT with the #9 pick...saying everyone else's opinions are stupid and senseless and your's is right is not a good way to start here tho...fair warning

[/quote

I can say that there a people who have said they want a LT/NT and maybe you have too and im not reffering to those individuals, im reffering to the people who want to waste the 9th overall pick on a qb with no1 to protect him or no1 to stop the running game, or the people who would like to squander a pick on tebow/Mccoy in the 2nd round on a guy who has an average arm at best, when we need big men to control the line of scrimmage. So that being said i can say my opinion is the best way to build, history has proven it right, and i can asure you thats the proper way to start here.... Fair warning!

We are on the same page except I am not sure about Skelton. There are questions on Skelton's attitude and work ethic. I would want the Bills to interview him carefully to see if he has the critical intangibles that would give him a chance to be a Tom Brady and not a JP Losman.

I can say that there a people who have said they want a LT/NT and maybe you have too and im not reffering to those individuals, im reffering to the people who want to waste the 9th overall pick on a qb with no1 to protect him or no1 to stop the running game, or the people who would like to squander a pick on tebow/Mccoy in the 2nd round on a guy who has an average arm at best, when we need big men to control the line of scrimmage. So that being said i can say my opinion is the best way to build, history has proven it right, and i can asure you thats the proper way to start here.... Fair warning!

eh aaron rodgers did pretty well up in GB without a line, pittsburg and big Ben did pretty well against arizona winning the SB without a line and arizona has done well with an average line...so idk about all this history bull ****..you are pretty much pulling **** outta your ass, but you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine

We are on the same page except I am not sure about Skelton. There are questions on Skelton's attitude and work ethic. I would want the Bills to interview him carefully to see if he has the critical intangibles that would give him a chance to be a Tom Brady and not a JP Losman.

To even hope for him to be half as good as JP Losman, is the same as hoping I will be president in 2012. Skelton is only on people's radar's because he is huge, period. He plays for Fordham, I'm sure if he was really that good, someone would have recruited him to a much more prominent college. (And before you use Freddy as an example, RB's are the easiet position to find talent at.)

Skelton is just another pipe dream, and first got his name out by someone hoping that they could predict the next "Tom Brady" of this years draft. College coaches don't miss out on QB's very often, even Tom Brady went to a primetime school.

Good job being the first to post this Nostradamus.

It doesn't sound like you have a draft philosophy past throwing out popular names. Have you been watching college football all year scouting these guys? I don't know much more than what the people in the media have said about any of these guys and am guessing you know about the same. How do you know Bulaga isn't going to be a bust and we'll all be pissed that we'd didn't take the next Chris Johnson in CJ Spiller? It sounds like you read a mock draft somewhere you didn't like or someone's post here and decided to setup an account to be smarter than everyone else. That's poor form. I kind of hope they do draft a non-lineman at 9 now just so you can eat your liver.

To be honest, I think we should get some linemen in the draft this year as well, but I don't think I really want a potential LT (probably the 3rd rated guy) who might end up as a RT with the 9th pick. I'd rather have a difference maker. If that's a defensive or offensive linemen, then all the better. If not, we'll probably get some later in the draft. In fact we'll probably get more than one no matter what. I'd be fine with a pass rusher though.

Anyone can be a bust smartass there no sure picks in the draft thanks for enlighting me. By the way an argument can be made that Bulaga is the best rated T in the draft. Im by no means sayin im a scout its my opinion just like u have one as stupid as your is to take a running back with no1 to block for him. whats to say hes not a bust at a position that isnt a major need. Thats the kinda thinking thats keeps an organization from winning. Thanks but no thanks Tom Modrak!

I definately agree with that!

"I cant remember a quarterback winning a superbowl on his own with no offensive or defensive line help," you say? The Steeler had a pretty bad OL the last time they won the SB.

I'm all for building from the trenches, leave the skill players till later, with one exception, and that is quarterback. You never know whether you will be able to be in a position to get a good one, and you almost can't win a Super Bowl without a top ten QB. The only exceptions are teams with not just great but historically great defenses like the Ravens and the 80s Bears. Maybe you could throw Tampa Bay in there, but actually Brad Johnson was a much better QB than he was ever given credit for between maybe 1995 and 2003.

The Golden Rule of the Draft: NEVER pass up a franchise QB, unless you already have one on the roster.

With that one exception, yeah, build from the trenches.

So that being said i can say my opinion is the best way to build, history has proven it right, and i can asure you thats the proper way to start here.... Fair warning!

If history has proven anything, it is that about one Super Bowl winning team in ten wins without an excellent franchise QB. And that franchise QBs are few and far between and that when you have a shot at one, you'd better take it.

A good O Line make Qb's and Rb's look awesome....

Yeah, right. Tarvaris Jackson, for instance, looked sensational behind the Vikes terrific line. And that great Pittsburgh OL definitely made Kordell Stewart look like Unitas. I'm filling out my Hall of Fame ballot for him right now. There are a lot more examples.

To even hope for him to be half as good as JP Losman, is the same as hoping I will be president in 2012. Skelton is only on people's radar's because he is huge, period. He plays for Fordham, I'm sure if he was really that good, someone would have recruited him to a much more prominent college. (And before you use Freddy as an example, RB's are the easiet position to find talent at.)

Skelton is just another pipe dream, and first got his name out by someone hoping that they could predict the next "Tom Brady" of this years draft. College coaches don't miss out on QB's very often, even Tom Brady went to a primetime school.

Flacco didn't. Neither did Kurt Warner.

I'm not a Skelton fan (nobody after Bradford or Clausen, really) but being a small-school guys isn't enough to rule a guy out.

The greatest NFL quarterback of all went to college at Louisville.

here's what I don't understand....the Bills have holes everywhere but fans don't like the idea of trading down.

The draft has good quality players everywhere not just in the top 10. This isn't the NBA draft. There's no 1 player that makes me have to keep that #9 pick. The Bills to collect 2nd and 3rd round pick and try to get 5, 6, 7 of them so they can fill some of their holes. What good's a LT do if we have no QB? What's good's a QB do without a LT? OK we get both but we have no NT or OLB's (you guys who didn't play DE for years in the NFL). What about a TE? WR? backup OL?

Come on trading down is the only solution for this year. Everything else leads to more of the same.

"I cant remember a quarterback winning a superbowl on his own with no offensive or defensive line help," you say? The Steeler had a pretty bad OL the last time they won the SB.

I'm all for building from the trenches, leave the skill players till later, with one exception, and that is quarterback. You never know whether you will be able to be in a position to get a good one, and you almost can't win a Super Bowl without a top ten QB. The only exceptions are teams with not just great but historically great defenses like the Ravens and the 80s Bears. Maybe you could throw Tampa Bay in there, but actually Brad Johnson was a much better QB than he was ever given credit for between maybe 1995 and 2003.

The Golden Rule of the Draft: NEVER pass up a franchise QB, unless you already have one on the roster.

With that one exception, yeah, build from the trenches.

build from the trenches, except when chasing your tail going after over-hyped, marginal QB prospects since they were falsely labeled "franchise QBs"

none of the QBs in this class are 1st round talents, let alone franchise QBs

here's what I don't understand....the Bills have holes everywhere but fans don't like the idea of trading down.

The draft has good quality players everywhere not just in the top 10. This isn't the NBA draft. There's no 1 player that makes me have to keep that #9 pick. The Bills to collect 2nd and 3rd round pick and try to get 5, 6, 7 of them so they can fill some of their holes. What good's a LT do if we have no QB? What's good's a QB do without a LT? OK we get both but we have no NT or OLB's (you guys who didn't play DE for years in the NFL). What about a TE? WR? backup OL?

Come on trading down is the only solution for this year. Everything else leads to more of the same.

you just ruined your own argument..this is a deep draft noone is gonna trade up to 9 therefore the bills aren't gonna trade down

The trenches back. We've passed on Oher, Ngata, and a ton of very good offensive and defensive linemen for players that have not made much difference (including a couple of qb's-Losman and Edwards) It is pretty clear that you are operating with a significant handicap without a quality o-line and d-line. Hopefully the people in charge have finally realiazed this fact.

s

Flacco didn't. Neither did Kurt Warner.

I'm not a Skelton fan (nobody after Bradford or Clausen, really) but being a small-school guys isn't enough to rule a guy out.

The greatest NFL quarterback of all went to college at Louisville.

Brohm is well on his way but I think it's a little premature to say "greatest". :thumbsup: