Its Hard to Find Things to Agree with Obama On

But I am happy he supports the firing of those spoiled underachieving teachers in Rhode Island:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/..._ri_school.html

Nothing is intended by posting this part of the story, its just the first I've read that he supports their firing. Maybe the teachers should get off their high horses and work harder instead of blaming the president.

But I am happy he supports the firing of those spoiled underachieving teachers in Rhode Island:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/..._ri_school.html

Nothing is intended by posting this part of the story, its just the first I've read that he supports their firing. Maybe the teachers should get off their high horses and work harder instead of blaming the president.

You know, it's never that black and white. I'm sure the teachers deserve their share of the blame but in my experience, the students, parents, and administration deserve just as much or more.

Somehow I doubt replacing all the teachers is going to fix all the broken fundamentals in American society. Kinda like tossing a deck chair off the Titanic.

in my experience teachers get scapegoated--but it's really more of a cultural crisis. parents don't promote intellectual curiosity and students can be almost aggressively indifferent. Yeah, there are a lot of bad teachers. A LOT of them. But is it worse than states like kansas and texas treating science and history as a belief system? How about how students are taught to distrust their teachers because of a delusional/paranoid assumption of liberal indoctrination? people really don't get how soul crushing of a profession teaching really is. I would have one or two students every semester tell me they had never read a secular book in their lives. I kept a file of bizarre sentences that popped up in papers--sometime I go back and read them realizing that at least half of the college freshmen I'd deal with were essentially functionally illiterate.

now maybe this district had awful teachers who deserved to get fired, I don't know. but i do know it is far too easy to blame everything on educators.