Fat Men or Pretty Boys...Who should the Bills draft???

Okay, so the Bills got the number 9 pick and everyone is praying for either Clauson to fall, or some even say reaching for a guy like Tim Tebow would be great. Thier reason? Well, it's a quarter back driven league and we need a franchise quarter back more than anything in Buffalo. My opinion is and always has been the Bills should draft the biggest nastiest blobbiest guy available, in other words an offensive or defensive tackle. My reasoning? Well the Bills give up more sacks than completions and they stopped the run about as good as eleven safeties could against a goal line offense. 30th in the league to be exact, and opponents averaged 5 yards a carry throughout the year no matter who we played. Alright, so what is actually the greater need?

I compiled some statistics from the last 20 Superbowl champions to find out.

First, I looked at the offensive lineman. In the past twenty years only 5% of Superbowl winners won without at least one offensive lineman in the probowl. Only 10% won a superbowl without at least two. 45% of Superbowl winners had three or more. So, this is a pretty good start for me I thought...well that proves you at least need one to probowl fat guy to win, and 90% of the time you need more than one...

Next, I looked at Run Defenses of those twenty Superbowl winners. 70% of them had a top ten rush defense. Only 10% of them fell below 20th and that was the Saints and Colts. Okay, 60% of the SB Champs had top FIVE run defenses. So again, pretty evident a rush defense...I.E. Huge Fat Defensive Tackles are pretty important as well...a majority of the SB winners have them.

After that I looked at Passing and Rushing offenses. Just to see really how important that Franchise QB really is to a championship team. Well at first glance you see the glamour of the QB and how an arial attack is fundamental to most NFL championship teams. I mean 55% of these championship teams finished in the top ten and 35% of the winners finished in the top 5. That's pretty important. Not as important as stuffing the run, but up there none the less...55% Passing offense versus 70% Rushing Defense.....35% Passing offense versus 60% Rushing defense...comparable edge to the Rushing defense...but still the champions know how to air it out.

Now I've been crying and whining that we could win with Trent Edwards as long as we smash the ball in there and play defense...stressing that our running backs could lead us...I get yelled at all the time for saying I would run at least 2 times per every pass a 2-1 ratio...so in comparison to championship clubs...55% of them ran the ball better than they threw it...slight edge...70% of the winners were in the top ten in rushing offense...again a slight edge to the 55% of passing in the top ten..and even with the 70% of top ten rushing defenses. Only 20% of the SB championship teams finished in the bottom half in rushing....while 30% of SB champions finished in the bottom half in passing...a small 15% finished lower than 20th in rushing offense...while 25% of the champions finished lower than 20th in passing...and one of those were the 2002 Patriots just a little tid bit...

So again...we have top ten placing rushing defenses winning 70% of SB's

...............we have top ten placing rushing offenses winning 70% of SB's

................we have top ten placing passing offenses winning 55% of SB's

................and we have 90% of champions touting two or more probowl offensive linemen...

I think it becomes fairly clear enough for even you Tebow fans that we are much better served picking up a slob with man boobs instead of a kid with a great smile...

While I DO agree a QB is an important piece of the puzzle, the statistics show that all of those great QB's have at least two probowl linemen protecting them...that's at least four man boobs that has seen the probowl...Only Ben Roethlisberger didn't have a probowler blocking for him, and I think he brings his own man boobs to the big show anyway...the statistics also show that even those glory getting QB's...55% of them had better rushing attacks...and 75% of them pretty boy QB's had a better rushing defense than passing attack as well...so this should end ALL DOUBT that picking a fat man in the first round in this draft is our best bet to win...

All hail the man boobs :rolleyes:

My opinion is and always has been the Bills should ...draft the biggest nastiest blobbiest guy available...

All hail the man boobs :worthy:

Yeah? Then we should draft this guy.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...ved=0CAYQ9QEwAA

I hear he really gets angry when he's hungry.

Bruce Smith wasn't fat. Merlin Olsen wasn't fat. Anthony Munoz wasn't fat.

The whole thing about fat is crap, frankly. Yeah, you need a guy who has a tremendously big frame, no he doesn't have to be fat, no a little fat probably won't hurt, yeah a lot of fat makes it difficult and eventually impossible to play, even at positions like nose tackle.

Now that I've got my rant about fat out of my system (I hate it when people say we need fat guys, or that Cody being 60 pounds overweight is OK), on to my main objection to your post.

Do Super Bowl teams, in general, have good linemen? In general, yeah. Super Bowl teams in general have good players nearly everywhere, in a good scheme. But what about the Steelers two years ago? Did they have a good OL?

If you go back and do the research on those same 20 Super Bowl winners, why don't you look at their QBs? How many of those teams DIDN'T have franchise quarterbacks? Maybe three out of twenty? Maybe four?

Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV

Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII

Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX

Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV

Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI

Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI

Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - SB XLIV

Hostetler was replacing Simms due to injury, and Simms was a franchise quarterback. Rypien wasn't a franchise QB for his career, but for about three years there he was. Something happened to him and he lost it, but he looked for awhile like a potential hall-of-famer.

Dilfer, I'll give you. He was a game manager. Brad Johnson is a maybe. I'd argue he was a franchise QB, a careful one, but a damn good QB. But if you argued, I'd say, OK, go ahead, put him on your side.

Look at the rest of the names on there. That's 16 names out of 20, and every one is an out-and-out franchise QB, most in the top three or so in the league..

By the way, I'm not arguing that the lines aren't important. Not at all. I want the Bills to build from the lines out. With one exception, the obvious one, QB, the most important position on the team. If Nix thinks Clausen or Bradford is a franchise guy, he has to pick him and he will.

And by the way, if you go beyond the last twenty years, the quality of QBs stays the same. Here's a list of QBs who came before the most recent 20 I listed in the post above:

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II

Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII

Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV

Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V

Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI

Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII

Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X

Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI

Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV

Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI

Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII

Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX

Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX

Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI

Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV

Twenty-four QB, and who are the weak links? McMahon, OK. Doug Williams, I agree.

And after that? Pure class, all the way. Twenty-two out of twenty-four are not just franchise QBs, but top three to five in football at that time. The worst you could say about those twenty-two is that Simms, an obvious franchise QB, was more like top eight than top five. OK, I'll give that to you.

At an extremely high rate, Super Bowl winners have excellent QBs.

Okay, so the Bills got the number 9 pick and everyone is praying for either Clauson to fall, or some even say reaching for a guy like Tim Tebow would be great. Thier reason? Well, it's a quarter back driven league and we need a franchise quarter back more than anything in Buffalo. My opinion is and always has been the Bills should draft the biggest nastiest blobbiest guy available, in other words an offensive or defensive tackle. My reasoning? Well the Bills give up more sacks than completions and they stopped the run about as good as eleven safeties could against a goal line offense. 30th in the league to be exact, and opponents averaged 5 yards a carry throughout the year no matter who we played. Alright, so what is actually the greater need?

First, I looked at the offensive lineman. In the past twenty years only 5% of Superbowl winners won without at least one offensive lineman in the probowl. Only 10% won a superbowl without at least two. 45% of Superbowl winners had three or more. So, this is a pretty good start for me I thought...well that proves you at least need one to probowl fat guy to win, and 90% of the time you need more than one...

Next, I looked at Run Defenses of those twenty Superbowl winners. 70% of them had a top ten rush defense. Only 10% of them fell below 20th and that was the Saints and Colts. Okay, 60% of the SB Champs had top FIVE run defenses. So again, pretty evident a rush defense...I.E. Huge Fat Defensive Tackles are pretty important as well...a majority of the SB winners have them.

After that I looked at Passing and Rushing offenses. Just to see really how important that Franchise QB really is to a championship team. Well at first glance you see the glamour of the QB and how an arial attack is fundamental to most NFL championship teams. I mean 55% of these championship teams finished in the top ten and 35% of the winners finished in the top 5. That's pretty important. Not as important as stuffing the run, but up there none the less...55% Passing offense versus 70% Rushing Defense.....35% Passing offense versus 60% Rushing defense...comparable edge to the Rushing defense...but still the champions know how to air it out.

Now I've been crying and whining that we could win with Trent Edwards as long as we smash the ball in there and play defense...stressing that our running backs could lead us...I get yelled at all the time for saying I would run at least 2 times per every pass a 2-1 ratio...so in comparison to championship clubs...55% of them ran the ball better than they threw it...slight edge...70% of the winners were in the top ten in rushing offense...again a slight edge to the 55% of passing in the top ten..and even with the 70% of top ten rushing defenses. Only 20% of the SB championship teams finished in the bottom half in rushing....while 30% of SB champions finished in the bottom half in passing...a small 15% finished lower than 20th in rushing offense...while 25% of the champions finished lower than 20th in passing...and one of those were the 2002 Patriots just a little tid bit...

................and we have 90% of champions touting two or more probowl offensive linemen...

I think it becomes fairly clear enough for even you Tebow fans that we are much better served picking up a slob with man boobs instead of a kid with a great smile...

While I DO agree a QB is an important piece of the puzzle, the statistics show that all of those great QB's have at least two probowl linemen protecting them...that's at least four man boobs that has seen the probowl...Only Ben Roethlisberger didn't have a probowler blocking for him, and I think he brings his own man boobs to the big show anyway...the statistics also show that even those glory getting QB's...55% of them had better rushing attacks...and 75% of them pretty boy QB's had a better rushing defense than passing attack as well...so this should end ALL DOUBT that picking a fat man in the first round in this draft is our best bet to win...

All hail the man boobs :worthy:

WOW somebody has way to much time of there hands LOL How about we take the best player

All hail the man boobs :thumbsup:

You do realise all those stats are for **** these days right? Damn near ALL experts and many personnel men are in agreement 'run and stop the run first' no longer applies.

It is a QB driven league.

Now that I've got my rant about fat out of my system (I hate it when people say we need fat guys, or that Cody being 60 pounds overweight is OK), on to my main objection to your post.

Do Super Bowl teams, in general, have good linemen? In general, yeah. Super Bowl teams in general have good players nearly everywhere, in a good scheme. But what about the Steelers two years ago? Did they have a good OL?

If you go back and do the research on those same 20 Super Bowl winners, why don't you look at their QBs? How many of those teams DIDN'T have franchise quarterbacks? Maybe three out of twenty? Maybe four?

Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV

Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII

Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX

Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV

Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI

Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI

Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - SB XLIV

Hostetler was replacing Simms due to injury, and Simms was a franchise quarterback. Rypien wasn't a franchise QB for his career, but for about three years there he was. Something happened to him and he lost it, but he looked for awhile like a potential hall-of-famer.

Dilfer, I'll give you. He was a game manager. Brad Johnson is a maybe. I'd argue he was a franchise QB, a careful one, but a damn good QB. But if you argued, I'd say, OK, go ahead, put him on your side.

Look at the rest of the names on there. That's 16 names out of 20, and every one is an out-and-out franchise QB, most in the top three or so in the league..

By the way, I'm not arguing that the lines aren't important. Not at all. I want the Bills to build from the lines out. With one exception, the obvious one, QB, the most important position on the team. If Nix thinks Clausen or Bradford is a franchise guy, he has to pick him and he will.

First, the man boobs was an ironical statement...not to be taken literally...the point was we need linemen over a QB...do they have to be 340 pound OLinemen? no of course not 295 is fine...as long as they are good...

Now as for franchise QB versus Linemen...let's do the numbers

Hostetler....NO

Rypien......nope...two good seasons doesn't qualify him IMO

Aikman....most definitely a franchise HOF QB....had three probowlers on his line in 1993, then picked up a fourth in 1994 both SB years...then 5 in 1996...1997 lost two probowl linemen...sacks went from 19 in 1996 to 33 in 1997...in 1998 they had only one probowler left on the line and this was the first season Aikman began getting hurt with concussions...missed five games in 1998, two in 1999, and five more in 2000 and hung it up and retired...

Steve Young...sure Franchise QB...one of the best of all times....1995 had five probowl linemen...had them five probowlers on the line already established when he took over for Joe...had them for pretty much his entire career until 1997...then EVERYONE was getting old he took almost 50 sacks that year and was about done anyway...

Brett Favre....Franchise QB...only two probowl linemen...but anyone who's watched him knows getting beat up didn't phase him at all...he's one of two of those QB's that have that extra that NO other's have...the other is Ben Roethlisberger...they just take a beating and keep on ticking...but you're takling about two out of the last twenty years of SB's here...

John Elway...Franchise QB...Three probowl linemen...did not have them early in his career...1995 brought in/developed probowl linemen...1994 sacks 46, injured missed two games...1995 sacked 22 times...1997/98 SB champs...1998/1999 SB champs...a brand new bum azz Griese/Burliene/anyone else...still got them to the AFC championship the next year...probowl linemen began to age and leave and retire...team became irrelevant

Kurt Warner...Franchise QB...two probowl linemen...had that line when he stepped in lost them in 2001...sacks went from 20s to 38 and injuries started happening then missing games here and there...and re-emerged in AZ to lose the SB...

Trent Dilfer...ummm no

Brad Johnson....ummm could be considered, but I say no, and thier offense didn't even need to show up the Defense outscored oakland

Tom Terrific...ummm hells yes...but...had two probowl linemen in 02, and 04, three in 05...when he first stepped in, just ask Bledsoe, they did not have a good OLine...did Brady play well? yes he sure did posting nearly 3000 yards and almost 20 td's...sacked 41 times...did not win...got the probowl beasts...three superbowls in four years...exit said linemen...Brady still posting numbers Bigger than ever before...not winning SB's...not running the ball well...not what they used to be...end of an era?...I don't know the linemen they got are developing nicely and I think they have at least three that could get into the probowl and squeeze out yet one more championship for the Pats...if they fix thier defense...

Roethlisberger...already mentioned this exception with Favre

Eli Manning...won the SB based on a top five rushing attack and didn't have to do much with a top ten defense either...made throws when he needed to and that's that...he is a franchise QB though, and he does have two probowlers on his line

Peyton Manning...two probowlers during the SB...

Brees...played in San Diego with one probowler...good numbers no wins...came to Saints had two probowlers, picked up another this past year...won it all...hasn't been sacked more than 20 times in any season he's been with the Saints...last season without probowler Brown...sacked 20 times even...Trent gets that per game in Buffalo...

So, I mean, I believe the statistics show that Franchise QB's post numbers...when they have Linemen they win SB's...bummy QB's can win SB's with a good line and defense...soooooo....hmmmm...what can we deduce from these empirical facts????....THE BILLS NEED TO SOLIDIFY THE OLINE...before wasting a pick on a QB that will take another three years to develop when they may have the answer on the roster now if they can keep him upright long enough to evaluate his play

And now that that rant is over with...let me also ad

Don't think Nix and Gailey don't know this...they have spoken about the draft like this..."the depth at the big man positions is immense, probably the most depth ever"....and "the drop off between the very top two and the rest of QBs is immense...very thin"...hmmmm...could it possibly be and this is just speculation...that Gailey reviews what we have...tells RW look I think we can stick with what we got at QB and be okay and RW says well lets not go out and tell Bills fans because if we say we're sticking with what we have at QB NOBODY IS GOING TO BUY TICKETS...and Gailey says, okay, we'll be vague and we will set it up like we cant get another name in here and that we just have to go with what we got right now the wins start coming in...fans love TE again...everyone is happy

You do realise all those stats are for **** these days right? Damn near ALL experts and many personnel men are in agreement 'run and stop the run first' no longer applies.

It is a QB driven league.

And to address you, you shortsighted sheep who thinks ESPN actually knows wtf they are talking about...

only the Saints and Colts won thier superbowls with poor run stopping ability...Steelers (two years) and Giants had top ten run defenses no passing attack and a good run game...and who did those three beat?...Steelers beat the Cards a pass first team...Giants beat Brady's ridiculous best passing team EVER in the history of football...steelers beat the seahawks...both were run first teams, and both had top five rushing defenses...Roethlisberger and Hasselbeck were ehhh QB's statistically that year as well Hasselbeck threw a whopping 18 tds and 2500 yards...quite frankly SAME STATS AS THE BILLS QBS COLLECTIVELY THIS SEASON...and Roethlisberger threw 17 and only 2400 yards...again WORSE THAN THE BILLS THIS SEASON...so...lets stop being ignorant little sheep doing what ESPN tells us...and LOOK FOR OURSELVES....

Yeah so come at me with the saints...all day fine...but they still had a top ten RO as well...and beat a Colts team that was also a pass first team...

The only pass first team to beat a run first team in the past five years has been the Colts win over the Bears...and the stats show that even the Bears rellied more heavily on the pass with Rex Grossman...thier rushing offense was 14th and thier passing offense was fifteenth...so they were more balanced than a run first team...and thier defense was ranked in the top ten...so they were like half of the "run and stop the run" profile...thier best back averaged 75 yards a game...good but not great...

So in conclusion...Run/Defense versus Pass in the past five years is 3-0...Pass versus Pass 1-1...Pass versus Run 0-3...balance versus pass 0-1...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is THAT relevant enough for you????

And to address you, you shortsighted sheep who thinks ESPN actually knows wtf they are talking about...

only the Saints and Colts won thier superbowls with poor run stopping ability...Steelers (two years) and Giants had top ten run defenses no passing attack and a good run game...and who did those three beat?...Steelers beat the Cards a pass first team...Giants beat Brady's ridiculous best passing team EVER in the history of football...steelers beat the seahawks...both were run first teams, and both had top five rushing defenses...Roethlisberger and Hasselbeck were ehhh QB's statistically that year as well Hasselbeck threw a whopping 18 tds and 2500 yards...quite frankly SAME STATS AS THE BILLS QBS COLLECTIVELY THIS SEASON...and Roethlisberger threw 17 and only 2400 yards...again WORSE THAN THE BILLS THIS SEASON...so...lets stop being ignorant little sheep doing what ESPN tells us...and LOOK FOR OURSELVES....

Yeah so come at me with the saints...all day fine...but they still had a top ten RO as well...and beat a Colts team that was also a pass first team...

The only pass first team to beat a run first team in the past five years has been the Colts win over the Bears...and the stats show that even the Bears rellied more heavily on the pass with Rex Grossman...thier rushing offense was 14th and thier passing offense was fifteenth...so they were more balanced than a run first team...and thier defense was ranked in the top ten...so they were like half of the "run and stop the run" profile...thier best back averaged 75 yards a game...good but not great...

So in conclusion...Run/Defense versus Pass in the past five years is 3-0...Pass versus Pass 1-1...Pass versus Run 0-3...balance versus pass 0-1...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is THAT relevant enough for you????

he doesn't care about your facts and stats that prove him wrong only about his opinions and rumors that prove him right..don't try arguing with him you'll get nowhere, he wants a QB and that's that

he doesn't care about your facts and stats that prove him wrong only about his opinions and rumors that prove him right..don't try arguing with him you'll get nowhere, he wants a QB and that's that

heheheh okay thanks...I was beginning to think it was me heheheeeh :thumbsup: