(OT) So why would you live in Buffalo?

Mikie2times

I have never been to Buffalo so the extent of my knowledge comes from the posts I read on here. Whether its people talking about the high taxes, crap politicians, or shot economy it seems like I rarely read anything positive about the city.

I grew up about 20 minutes outside Detroit in a very nice city called Livonia. I would often refer to Detroit as a peace of crap, and when compared to suburban Livonia the two really have nothing in common.

I'm wondering if that comparison is similar to many of the wallers on here. Do most you locals live in the suburbs and look at Buffalo like I would look at Detroit? Basically as a city so shot and different from your suburban town that its easy to say crappy thing about it. Or do most of you actually live in Buffalo and are dealing with the issues brought up on here on daily basis?

As an observer of the material on this board I guess I'm just curious as to why anyone would want to live in Buffalo. It really sounds like it is a dieing city with a world of problems. Maybe a few of you could help me better understand some of these issues in your responses.

As much as I love the Bills and the Sabres im not a huge fan of BUFFALO itself. The city that is. It's quite dirty and just seems most of the time very smog and just plain not fun. Peoples perspectives will vary. I also dont like the surrounding areas such as Hamburgh, North Collins, Gowanda ... etc - all very "hillbillyish" - thats just ME though. Everyone has different opinions.

I live in Rochester. About 1 hr 20 min from Buffalo and it is also dirty and has one of the highest crames rates per capita in the nation.

Detroit is much worse than Buffalo.....much worse.

I've seen Detroit suburbs too......you guys have Cheektowaga style housing tracts that run about 170k.

Maybe a median price nationally, but I can't imagine anyone buying the average house in Cheektowaga and spending 170k and upwards.

I'll throw out some positives......find me another city of comparable size with two pro sports teams.

Find me a city of comparable size with an outstanding Olmsted created parks and parkway system.....how many Frank Lloyd Wright houses in Philadelphia? Cultural value for the size of the city is fantastic.

Summer weather.....not many places are as good.

Plenty of neighborhoods in the city that are very nice.....Elmwood-Delaware-Linwood tracts.....North Buffalo......revitalization of Hertel Ave.

Not a slam, but I would take Buffalo over Detroit any day of the week.

I've seen Detroit suburbs too......you guys have Cheektowaga style housing tracts that run about 170k.

135341[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to compare Buffalo to Detroit, IMO Detroit is the biggest stevestojan hole in the United States. As for comparing Detroit suburbs each city varies so much that I don't think you could compare one to the other. Some are extremely dirty, some very affluent, just like every other place it just depends on the city.

But the reasons you enjoy Buffalo were what I was looking for, keep them coming.

I wasn't trying to compare Buffalo to Detroit, IMO Detroit is the biggest stevestojan hole in the United States.  As for comparing Detroit suburbs each city varies so much that I don't think you could compare one to the other.  Some are extremely dirty, some very affluent, just like every other place it just depends on the city. 

But the reasons you enjoy Buffalo were what I was looking for, keep them coming.

135344[/snapback]

Boating and recreational fishing are very popular in the summer. Either boating on the Niagara river or on Lake Erie, either the US or Canadian sides. I grew up around that. Grandfather had a 38 foot cabin cruiser docked off of Buffalo's west side, or Grand Island's yacht club. Another relative has a cottage on the Canadian side of Lake Erie.....people around the country wouldn't realize that recreational boating has been a widely popular activity in Buffalo for many decades.

I wouldn't/won't.

I own land Upstate and unless there are AMAZING changes in the NYS/County/Local governments, there is no way I'm moving back there, despite how much I love the area.

Ridiculous taxation, overbearing government, and a terrible economy pretty much clinch it for me. It's sad because there is truly no place like it in the world as far as people, food, and setting go.

Can't say I have ever done anything but pass through North Collins or Gowanda, but Hamburg is "hillbillyish"?  WTF?

135354[/snapback]

Your probably right - I shouldnt' have included hamburg ... but North Collins is about 5 large steps long and gowanda is about 10 large steps long ...

Ridiculous taxation, overbearing government, and a terrible economy pretty much clinch it for me.  It's sad because there is truly no place like it in the world as far as people, food, and setting go.

135353[/snapback]

Yep, and since none of that is going to change any time soon......

In the meantime, I have to figure out a way to get the rest of my family out of there.

Yep, and since none of that is going to change any time soon......

In the meantime, I have to figure out a way to get the rest of my family out of there.

135369[/snapback]

It's like trying to bail out the Irish during the potato famine.

"SEAMUS.......ALL IS WELL HERE IN THE RESEARCH TRIANGLE.......I HAD A WEE LIDDLE JOB AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER, BUT NOW ME MAKES MORE MONEY SELLING SUBSCRIPTIONS OF VIBE.....I WILL SEND FOR YOU AND MOTHER WHEN I HAVE THE FUNDS......HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH THE BOTH OF YOU AS ANOTHER HORRIBLE WINTER SETS IN. REMEMBER TO SET YER THERMOSTAT TO 50 DEGREES OR NATIONAL FOOL WILL FIND A WAY TO HAVE YOU EVICTED."

SINCERELY,

PATRICK

As much as I love the Bills and the Sabres im not a huge fan of BUFFALO itself. The city that is. It's quite dirty and just seems most of the time very smog and just plain not fun. Peoples perspectives will vary. I also dont like the surrounding areas such as Hamburgh, North Collins, Gowanda ... etc - all very "hillbillyish" - thats just ME though. Everyone has different opinions.

I live in Rochester. About 1 hr 20 min from Buffalo and it is also dirty and has one of the highest crames rates per capita in the nation.

135339[/snapback]

I agree that Rochester is a very dirty city. One of the scariest thing i have seen was when i worked this summer for SUNY, i saw a drive-by while taking a shortcut through downtown.

Not to knock WNY cities, but all cities have crummy areas by nature. I also agree that those areas are pretty hillbillyish as i graduated high school from one of the backwoods schools in genesee county

Buffalo is simply a great place to live from my point of view. My wfe is from here and loves being close to her Dad who still lives in the house they lived in when she was born, three blocks from her brother who lives with his family there and a 5 minute drive from her other brother and family near Richmond Avenue.

We have really fun friends that we share the Bills and other stuff with. Her Dad is a deacon in the church she is a member of (Westminster Presbyterian) and where we got married.

The politicians and the organized business community which influences them most heavily are in it for themselves and provide lousy leadership for the region. However, there activities as bad as they are are insignificant compared to family. friends and church.

I think the same thing is true most anyplace we would live. One can mae a go of it and live a good life quite easily in Buffalo. It depends on your priorities and life might be easier for some in the sunbelt or in more go=go economic development communities.

However, I know I am quite comfortable here and many people are and can be if they are self-reliant and lucky enough to pull it off, Life in Iraq is tough. Life here (and in much of America) is pretty easy.

I have never been to Buffalo so the extent of my knowledge comes from the posts I read on here.  Whether its people talking about the high taxes, crap politicians, or shot economy it seems like I rarely read anything positive about the city. 

I grew up about 20 minutes outside Detroit in a very nice city called Livonia. I would often refer to Detroit as a peace of crap, and when compared to suburban Livonia the two really have nothing in common.

I'm wondering if that comparison is similar to many of the wallers on here. Do most you locals live in the suburbs and look at Buffalo like I would look at Detroit? Basically as a city so shot and different from your suburban town that its easy to say crappy thing about it.  Or do most of you actually live in Buffalo and are dealing with the issues brought up on here on daily basis?

As an observer of the material on this board I guess I'm just curious as to why anyone would want to live in Buffalo. It really sounds like it is a dieing city with a world of problems.  Maybe a few of you could help me better understand some of these issues in your responses.

135334[/snapback]

How the heck are you a Bills fan if you've never been to Buffalo?

How the heck are you a Bills fan if you've never been to Buffalo?

135414[/snapback]

Well, I don't have any kids yet, but if I do I'm pretty sure they will grow up to be Bills fans, and there is no way in hell I ever move back upstate.

I live in North Carolina and have been here for 6 years. My wife has been in NC for the past 4 years and both of us came from WNY. I'm from North Tonwanda and she's from Attica, and we both can't wait for the day we can return to WNY. You don't see Hurricanes, Noreasters, Tornados in WNY. The schools down here are terrible, beinga teacher I should no, and I'm tired of the ultra-right religious movement being part of everything.

No matter how bad the weather is and how bad the taxation WNY just feels like home. NC, and the other places I have lived, just don't feel right. Certainly home is where you hang your hat, but it should also bring a feeling of being comfortable. When I come back to visit friends and family it just feels right. It brings back all the good memories.

When we do return I will not live in Erie county but somewhere out in the country side, maybe Genesee, Wyoming or Orleans Counties.

Beyond that, I could provide you another answer.

Guest You're A Teacher ?
The schools down here are terrible, beinga teacher I should no

135417[/snapback]

Boces just called. They want that diploma back.

Detroit is much worse than Buffalo.....much worse.

Maybe a median price nationally, but I can't imagine anyone buying the average house in Cheektowaga and spending 170k and upwards.

I'll throw out some positives......find me another city of comparable size with two pro sports teams.

Find me a city of comparable size with an outstanding Olmsted created parks and parkway system.....how many Frank Lloyd Wright houses in Philadelphia?  Cultural value for the size of the city is fantastic.

Summer weather.....not many places are as good.

Plenty of neighborhoods in the city that are very nice.....Elmwood-Delaware-Linwood tracts.....North Buffalo......revitalization of Hertel Ave.

135341[/snapback]

Summer weather?

That's only 17 days, what about the other 348 days? LOL

Boces just called. They want that diploma back.

135419[/snapback]

<_<

Seriously though, he is right about the schools. New York has very high standards when it comes to teachers compared to the rest of the nation. Most states won't allow you to teach with a certification from another state. You say you're certified in NY though and they throw offers your way after a simple interview. My fiancee had 4 job offers for NC and 1 for Arizona right out of college. We choose to stay and take the hard road though to stay where we love and with our family. It's all worked out and you couldn't pay me to leave Rochester.

Dirty? Sure, it has its areas. Then again it is an old city and all old cities do. As for the crime rate, stay out of the ghetto and you have little to worry about. These are the same problems all old cities face and these boom areas will eventually see.

I love this city!

I have never been to Buffalo so the extent of my knowledge comes from the posts I read on here.  Whether its people talking about the high taxes, crap politicians, or shot economy it seems like I rarely read anything positive about the city. 

I'm wondering if that comparison is similar to many of the wallers on here. Do most you locals live in the suburbs and look at Buffalo like I would look at Detroit? Basically as a city so shot and different from your suburban town that its easy to say crappy thing about it.  Or do most of you actually live in Buffalo and are dealing with the issues brought up on here on daily basis?

As an observer of the material on this board I guess I'm just curious as to why anyone would want to live in Buffalo. It really sounds like it is a dieing city with a world of problems.  Maybe a few of you could help me better understand some of these issues in your responses.

135334[/snapback]

What makes UNY worth living in is the people. It's much friendlier than other parts of the country for the most part, especially other East Coast cities.

Buffalo is a mismanaged city to be sure. They could have done a whole lot more with the water front and much of the surrounding regions still has idle remants of the mid-century industrial economy as eyesores.

But it is the proximity to the Finger Lakes, Canada and Niagara Falls, the Adirondack Mountains, as well as an abundance of things to do and a solid family environment that make WNY nice in whatever ways it is.

As cities go it doesn't provide as many things to do so some people look at that.