My Bills 3-4 Defense

I read in the Buffalo News recently that Gailey confirmed that all of the DEs from last year would be competing for OLB spots in the new system. Can't find the article.

I checked out a few rosters of 3-4 teams, and pretty much all of the DEs are in the 290-300 range. Kyle Williams is undersized for a 3-4 NT, but he's the best fit for NT out of the players on the current roster. IMO he would be a better fit at DE in this scheme. With Williams at NT, Stroud and Spencer Johnson are the logical choices for DE.

Kelsay might be one of the odd men out this season. He doesn't seem to be as good a fit compared to others on the roster. Schobel and Maybin seem like the best fits at OLB. Agree with Poz and Mitchell on the inside. Makes sense to have Ellison be a backup ILB. Bryan Scott will probably also get on the field quite a bit in some quazi-nickel alignments where he replaces one of the ILBs.

When he's healthy, McGee is the best CB on the team. McKelvin will presumably be given every opportunity to earn the other starting spot. At the beginning of training camp last season, Florence was at the top of the nickel depth chart; will probably be the same this season.

Of course, Byrd is the starting FS. Wilson moved ahead of Whitner during last season. Not sure how, if at all, Whitner fits into the team's plans for this season.

While they are planning to switch to a 3-4 that does not mean they are planning a 100% 3-4. You will definitely see them also using a 4-3. Last year's defense did produce against the pass and they are not going to completely abandon the things that worked. I believe they will put some beef on the line in the form of a good nose tackle to put a stop to teams running up the gut on us late in games. All of these doom and gloom theories flying around are just plain goofy. An apple falls on their heads and they start running around screaming that the sky is falling. The defense is going to surprise people because offenses will not know what kind of defense is coming at them. And as far as guys like Schobel and Maybin, they will definitely be used as OLB's in a 3-4. Saying that they can't play that position just for the sake of saying it doesn't mean anything. Both have proven they can come off of the edge to put pressure on the QB. Why wouldn't they be good at it? They might even play DE in a 4-3 scheme as well once in a while. Football players don't stop becoming football players just because they switch positions. Open your minds up to the possibilities instead of moaning and groaning over perceived weaknesses. The sky is not falling. I am not drinking koolaid and please no wisecracks about the beer I'm drinkin' either.

I read in the Buffalo News recently that Gailey confirmed that all of the DEs from last year would be competing for OLB spots in the new system. Can't find the article.

I checked out a few rosters of 3-4 teams, and pretty much all of the DEs are in the 290-300 range. Kyle Williams is undersized for a 3-4 NT, but he's the best fit for NT out of the players on the current roster. IMO he would be a better fit at DE in this scheme. With Williams at NT, Stroud and Spencer Johnson are the logical choices for DE.

Kelsay might be one of the odd men out this season. He doesn't seem to be as good a fit compared to others on the roster. Schobel and Maybin seem like the best fits at OLB. Agree with Poz and Mitchell on the inside. Makes sense to have Ellison be a backup ILB. Bryan Scott will probably also get on the field quite a bit in some quazi-nickel alignments where he replaces one of the ILBs.

When he's healthy, McGee is the best CB on the team. McKelvin will presumably be given every opportunity to earn the other starting spot. At the beginning of training camp last season, Florence was at the top of the nickel depth chart; will probably be the same this season.

Of course, Byrd is the starting FS. Wilson moved ahead of Whitner during last season. Not sure how, if at all, Whitner fits into the team's plans for this season.

Yes, Stroud and Williams will move to DE. My guess is that the FO is diligently seeking a nose tackle for the middle.

yes but the only time Bruce played anywhere near 300 pounds was the firsttwo seasons when he was working towards a bust category. Slow slow slow. Then he got serious went to his fighting weight 270-285 I think for most of his career and voila !!!!!!

True but he was a phisical specimen and very rare there has never been a 3-4 DE comparable to him you will find that Seymour is 300+. I pointed that out to make a point that people just are not getting about the 3-4.

Are you crazy he had 6.5 sacks his rookie year which is great for a Rookie 3-4 DE and we apparently were ready to declare him a bust after he had 15 sacks in his second year. WOW please don't ever respond to one of my post again with crap like this and to help what your saying which really has nothing to do with my post he came in to camp his second year in great phisical shape.