NASCAR

Officially no. But NASCAR has the "debris on the racetrack" caution, which can be used like a holding penalty in football. I've seen a good number of races where someone is running away with the race with 10-15 laps left, and officials mysteriously find "debris" on the racetrack and throw the caution for 1-2 laps, while they "clean it up".

That's ridiculous. Pretty much the equivalent of refs stopping the clock in football to ensure the losing team gets another crack on offense.

Wrong. There are 4 left turns on Watkins Glen.Watkins Glen Track Map

Ahh...real racing.

F-1 season starts this weekend.

I have another question:

I saw this weekend that the guy Edwards intentionally caused a crash at 200mph which sent an opponent's car flipping down the track. NASCAR has issued some sort of three-week penalty, essentially saying that the wreck was intentionally caused by Edwards. Edwards apparently had a history with the guy, and in a tongue-in-cheek manner, he himself insinuated that he intentionally F'd the guy up.

It got me to thinking about other sports, and in particular, hockey. Marty McSorley slashed Donald Brashear in the head and knocked him unconscious, and was criminally charged by the local jurisdiction with assault. Same for Todd Bertuzzi, who smashed Steve Moore's head into the ice, ending his career. In both cases, the NHL suspended the players, and the local law enforcement acted on their own to press criminal charges for those intentional acts of violence.

Is something similar possible in NASCAR? Specifically, in this case, could local law enforcement charge Edwards with some sort of criminal negligence or assault, or in the most extreme case, assault with a deadly weapon or attempted murder (as death was a realistic possibility while flipping in a car at 200mph)??

look's like their cracking down.

:P

I have another question:

I saw this weekend that the guy Edwards intentionally caused a crash at 200mph which sent an opponent's car flipping down the track. NASCAR has issued some sort of three-week penalty, essentially saying that the wreck was intentionally caused by Edwards. Edwards apparently had a history with the guy, and in a tongue-in-cheek manner, he himself insinuated that he intentionally F'd the guy up.

It got me to thinking about other sports, and in particular, hockey. Marty McSorley slashed Donald Brashear in the head and knocked him unconscious, and was criminally charged by the local jurisdiction with assault. Same for Todd Bertuzzi, who smashed Steve Moore's head into the ice, ending his career. In both cases, the NHL suspended the players, and the local law enforcement acted on their own to press criminal charges for those intentional acts of violence.

Is something similar possible in NASCAR? Specifically, in this case, could local law enforcement charge Edwards with some sort of criminal negligence or assault, or in the most extreme case, assault with a deadly weapon or attempted murder (as death was a realistic possibility while flipping in a car at 200mph)??

As far as I know, NASCAR drivers have never been investigated for on track incidents. Not sure why either. One thing I do know is that a fatality has never occured as a result of a "payback". I would rather see the drivers fight after the race and not do it out on the track.