K.Williams is the NT

Thoner7

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...ix-on-kyle.html

Nix on Kyle

Bills GM Buddy Nix seconded Chan Gailey's praise of defensive tackle Kyle Williams. The Bills think Williams can perform at nose tackle, at least on a rotational basis, in the new 3-4 defense, even though at 305 pounds he is not the prototypical size.

“We did it some (in San Diego)," Nix said, of playing without a prototypical nose man. "Jamal Williams was hurt a lot for us. When he was out, we weren’t as good. We had to improvise and do some things with other guys that were smaller. Kyle Williams is an exception. You want to say 6-2, 6-3, 340 (at nose tackle). But there’s always exceptions to the measurables, and he’s one of them. He’s a playmaker. He’ll make plays at nose for us.”

---Mark Gaughan

I cant say I am thrilled with this. I love Williams and all, but I think he could be a stud at DE, and think he will be a bit of a let down at NT. Besides, we are going to add some DL guys anyway, so why not add an NT and let Williams move to the 5 tech.

Interesting stuff, Thoner7, thanks for posting it.

IMHO, he only says that he could be a rotational guy, and we'd already kind of expected that he might be the guy who comes in on pass rush situations to support the big fella, whoever he is.

If we absolutely can't get a big fella this year, though, maybe Williams would be the #1 guy, and like you , I also wouldn't like that situation at all.

Jay Ratliff is listed at 303 (although he's 6'4")

Kyle Williams is listed at 306 (6'1")

So it can be done... not saying it will, but it CAN be done.

Jay Ratliff runs in Dallas's system, which has him NOT playing head up on the center. He is a "one-gap nose tackle," and IMHO, that's not really a nose tackle. He doesn't play on the center's nose.

I guess if Nix wants a "one-gap" nose tackle, then yeah, maybe Williams could do a good job. Myself, personally, at least in the long term I want a nose tackle who plays on the nose and covers both gaps.

It's worth noting that offenses playing the Dallas defense averaged 4.0 YPC last year, and that is simply not good. It's way below average. Dallas's defense, IMHO, is put together assuming that Romo and Co. will put up big numbers so the other guys will be passing a lot more than running. Dallas actually was 31st in the league last year in terms of number of running plays they faced. Playing in the Ralph, and without a competent QB as of right now, we on the other hand will be facing a lot more running plays than Dallas does.

Give me a real nose man.

Didn't read the article, but I think it could work. The 3-4 Over is referring to the 1-gap 3-4, the same system that Wade Phillips ran when he was here, and currently runs in Dallas (it was developed by his father, Bum Phillips I think), where Jay Ratliff, who is actually lighter than Kyle Williams, does quite well. However, George Edwards learned the 3-4 from Bill Parcells, who strongly believes in a 2-gap 3-4... which might mean otherwise...

Interesting post.

This switch to the 3-4 has disaster written all over it.

For this year anyway. That's what you would expect from a major scheme switch.

In the long run, though, we should be fine, assuming we do a good job drafting. And let's face, 3 - 4 or 4 - 3, if we do a lousy job drafting, we're going nowhere anyway.

Nix on Kyle

Bills GM Buddy Nix seconded Chan Gailey's praise of defensive tackle Kyle Williams. The Bills think Williams can perform at nose tackle, at least on a rotational basis, in the new 3-4 defense, even though at 305 pounds he is not the prototypical size.

“We did it some (in San Diego)," Nix said, of playing without a prototypical nose man. "Jamal Williams was hurt a lot for us. When he was out, we weren’t as good. We had to improvise and do some things with other guys that were smaller. Kyle Williams is an exception. You want to say 6-2, 6-3, 340 (at nose tackle). But there’s always exceptions to the measurables, and he’s one of them. He’s a playmaker. He’ll make plays at nose for us.”

---Mark Gaughan[/i]

I cant say I am thrilled with this. I love Williams and all, but I think he could be a stud at DE, and think he will be a bit of a let down at NT. Besides, we are going to add some DL guys anyway, so why not add an NT and let Williams move to the 5 tech.

If anyone wants to look back in time when we used to run a 3-4 when Bruce woz RDE, Ted NT, Phil Hansen LDE, I seem 2 remember Phil Hansen used to play Nose Tackle on certain downs, so maybe this is how Nix envisages using K Williams, also i think Phil played around 280lbs + Bruce 260-270lbs . . mind i must admit i don't think the scales were up to Teds weight :rolleyes:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...ix-on-kyle.html

Nix on Kyle

---Mark Gaughan

Because starting NT's worth anything are very difficult to find. The only true NT prospects in this draft have issues of one or another. (As always JMO based on scouting reports)

Suh can play anywhere but he'll be gone and at 295 pounds NT would be the worst place to put him IMO.

Cam Thomas seems to be the guy with the least questions. He played with a lot of talented guys around him so it's a little more difficult to see him as an individual player. Even with great talent around him he only made 3.5 sacks in 28 starts.

Dan Williams may only be a two down player.

Terrence Cody has been discussed here many times. Fat, lazy and two down player.

Al Woods has only started one year.

Terrell Troup looks like a two down player. He's also 6'4" and 310. He's a little light but at 6'4" he could probably pack on a few more pounds. He wouldn't be much help this year but could very good next if he could add and carry the extra weight.

Kade Weston has not had a stellar college career and is probably best suited as a backup.

With the 3-4 becoming more and more popular teams are grabbing the guys who can play NT and keeping them if they are solid. Wilfork, Hampton and Ryan Pickett all being franchised is no coincidence. IMO

For those of you who are scared about the switch to the 3-4 I'm not that concerned. I doubt the 3-4 will be used exclusively. They'll probably throw in a few 4-3 alignments. If Maybin can be used at OLB they could start in a 3-4 look and then have the guys jump over and move Maybin up into a 4-3 alignment just before the snap of the ball.

might get him in 2nd? or trade back into first round to draft him (of course, recall mccargo)

I'm not a fan of the trade up. McCargo being a prime example. Why give up multiple picks for one guy? I believe in drafting for need when the grades are pretty much equal but moving up is a risky venture. I'd prefer to trade back and draft more guys and hope one of them turns out to be good.

Who the hell are you, and why do you waste your vast knowledge of football on a message board?

Amen. It's amazing how much we know compared to guys who have been living the business for football for 30 or 50 years.

KW is a good football player. Period.

Thread title should read "K.Williams is a NT" not "the NT." :rolleyes: I'll be damned if this staff is gonna go with him as the main guy in the center. In fact, I read Chan's quote to mean that Williams CAN do it and might only be in there as a last resort.

That's what I read, too.

We're taking Cam Thomas.

"You want to say 6-2, 6-3, 340 (at nose tackle) " does not describe Terrence Cody. It DOES describe Cam Thomas in the second (if we don't take him, we'll be seeing him twice a year in Miami --remember I said this). Thomas is #61 on our Big Board. After Thomas, you have to go down quite a ways for a Nose Guard (first possibility is Georgia's Jeff Owens at #276, roughly 7th Round #200 Pick). I think we'll go for Dan Williams or Cam Thomas or make a play in FA. The problem with FA is, unless you want damaged goods (Maake Kemoeatu), they've all been re-signed or franchised.

Unfortunately Williams doesn't translate to a prototypical DE in the 3-4 either. Kyle is more of the 3 tech tackle in the cover two or a one-gap DT in the 4-3. So they will have to make do until they can find a true NT. I think they're going to be playing a lot more 4-3 than 3-4 in the first year.

Didn't read the article, but I think it could work. The 3-4 Over is referring to the 1-gap 3-4, the same system that Wade Phillips ran when he was here, and currently runs in Dallas (it was developed by his father, Bum Phillips I think), where Jay Ratliff, who is actually lighter than Kyle Williams, does quite well. However, George Edwards learned the 3-4 from Bill Parcells, who strongly believes in a 2-gap 3-4... which might mean otherwise...

Its nice to see that someone understands the difference in football schemes. That is the reason I am not thrilled about WIlliams as the NT. As a 2 gap End I think he will verge on being a PB caliber player - thats just a hunch from seeing him play for the past few years. I could see him moving inside on 3rd and longs to get more of a pass rush, but counting on him to be a 2 gap NT every down will result in another year of terrible rush D IMO.

That's what I read, too.

We're taking Cam Thomas.

"You want to say 6-2, 6-3, 340 (at nose tackle) " does not describe Terrence Cody. It DOES describe Cam Thomas in the second (if we don't take him, we'll be seeing him twice a year in Miami --remember I said this). Thomas is #61 on our Big Board. After Thomas, you have to go down quite a ways for a Nose Guard (first possibility is Georgia's Jeff Owens at #276, roughly 7th Round #200 Pick). I think we'll go for Dan Williams or Cam Thomas or make a play in FA. The problem with FA is, unless you want damaged goods (Maake Kemoeatu), they've all been re-signed or franchised.

I have a feeling Cam Thomas is out man also. Althought I dont think we take him with our 2nd. My guess is we trade up to get him ala Levitre. With the depth there is at DT I think its possible he lasts that long.

Unfortunately Williams doesn't translate to a prototypical DE in the 3-4 either. Kyle is more of the 3 tech tackle in the cover two or a one-gap DT in the 4-3. So they will have to make do until they can find a true NT. I think they're going to be playing a lot more 4-3 than 3-4 in the first year.

But Williams wasn't the 3-technique in our cover two. He played as our NT (over the shoulder of the C, between the G, a 1-technique if you will). Which is why I've been saying that he could play NT in a 1-gap 3-4, a-la Wade Phillips in Dallas.

Jay Ratliff runs in Dallas's system, which has him NOT playing head up on the center. He is a "one-gap nose tackle," and IMHO, that's not really a nose tackle. He doesn't play on the center's nose.

I guess if Nix wants a "one-gap" nose tackle, then yeah, maybe Williams could do a good job. Myself, personally, at least in the long term I want a nose tackle who plays on the nose and covers both gaps.

It's worth noting that offenses playing the Dallas defense averaged 4.0 YPC last year, and that is simply not good. It's way below average. Dallas's defense, IMHO, is put together assuming that Romo and Co. will put up big numbers so the other guys will be passing a lot more than running. Dallas actually was 31st in the league last year in terms of number of running plays they faced. Playing in the Ralph, and without a competent QB as of right now, we on the other hand will be facing a lot more running plays than Dallas does.

Give me a real nose man.

Exactly what I was trying to say in another post. Yeah, Williams could play in a 1-gap...but with George Edwards learning the 3-4 from Bill Parcells, it has to be a 2-gap style for the long-run.

Nix can say anything He wants to say right now...KW is not a NT...He may line up there from time to time...But The Bills know they need to get a true NT...No matter how good a Football Player Williams is...

I definitely can see KW lining up at different spots along the D-Front in a 3-4...I'm sure he'll be the back-up NT...But if he's the primary NT in a 3-4 The Bills are in deep trouble vs. the run... :thumbsup: