Polygraph

NoSaint

A PFT report today referenced an arrest and the fact that shanahan used to polygraph players... Just curious what people thought of this. Is it even legal in employment law? I know it would seem highly out of place in the ordinary workplace -- but then again, the NFL isnt so ordinary.

"It's the second arrest of a Redskins player since Mike Shanahan became the team's head coach. In Denver, Shanahan admittedly used polygraph testing on players who found themselves on the wrong side of the law."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-meter-to-zero/

A PFT report today referenced an arrest and the fact that shanahan used to polygraph players... Just curious what people thought of this. Is it even legal in employment law? I know it would seem highly out of place in the ordinary workplace -- but then again, the NFL isnt so ordinary.

"It's the second arrest of a Redskins player since Mike Shanahan became the team's head coach. In Denver, Shanahan admittedly used polygraph testing on players who found themselves on the wrong side of the law."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-meter-to-zero/

I am not sure of the legality. But if the player refused they could always cut/suspend them citing other reasons. Personally, if I am in and NFL FO or I'm an owner, investing the amount of money some of these guys command, I would do the same thing. If the guys aren't lying to your face then they have nothing to hide...and if they are, you may want to think twice about that investment. JMO.

I am not sure of the legality. But if the player refused they could always cut/suspend them citing other reasons. Personally, if I am in and NFL FO or I'm an owner, investing the amount of money some of these guys command, I would do the same thing. If the guys aren't lying to your face then they have nothing to hide...and if they are, you may want to think twice about that investment. JMO.

Thats like saying if Im a police officer and you deny a polygraph I should arrest you. Thats why I questioned the legality. If he did that, the player could turn around and sue.... atleast it would seem. I dont know -- It just jumped out of the article at when i read it.

On the flipside I whole heartedly agree that you have to be careful who you invest in.

Is the civil rights debate can of worms about to be officially opened?

my understanding is that in one of the most draconian laws we have ever had that an employer can require a drug test or polygraph as a condition of employment

but that impression is based on info that i had a long time ago so hopefully its changed now