Free Agent Left Tackles

Stl Bills

McNeil will command some big time money but I think Bushrod would be an awesome pickup....guys been pretty damn good in New Orleans this year.

The Saints are winning in spite of Bushrod, not because of him. Take a look at the offensive tackles ratings below. They have watched every game and graded every play. Bushrod is 69th out of 77. He is genuinely awful at run blockiing, but only pretty damn bad at pass blocking.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

As for McNeill, look at the Chargers depth chart. They have a second-string LT but no third-stringer. The second-stringer is also their starter at RT, and he is a second-year UDFA, not some grizzled vet who has been around long enough to handle anything thrown at him. No way do they want him to switch and thus cause problems at two positions instead of one.

S.D. will re-sign him, especially with the leverage of having him as an RFA.

Well NO is probably going to have to make a decision between Bushrod and Jammal Brown.....I wouldn't mind seeing either one of those guys in a Bills uni next year.

Yeah, they'll definitely go with Brown, and IMHO we don't need Bushrod for the reasons I detailed above.

Out of the UFA on that list, the only guy I'd trust to be a starting LT is Clifton but his price tag would be steep. They should get some depth in free agency to compete with Butler for the RT position but we need to find a starting LT in the draft (first round or maybe second round if we feel lucky).

Yeah, Clifton's average, but that would be a huge step up for us. 33 years old, so we would already have to be looking for a guy to replace him, though. But that's where 2nd and 3rd round picks really do work out, when you're getting a guy to slip in after two or three years.

Sorry but one last shot at the LT situation. Ask yourself this question:

1st pick #9 overall in the draft (rookie LT) + $8 million/yr >= Pro Bowl LT $10 million/yr ?

Ok, you make a good point except McNeil will also cost us some kind of compensation in the form of draft picks.

Right? Isn't he a restricted FA?