Pretend Cowher called you to be on his staff a week ago

A week ago or so we heard rumors that Cowher was making calls to assemble a staff.

So pretend you got such a call. You have to lock yourself in somewhere to feed your family, so how can you agree to attach yourself to Cowher unless you know you both have a definite landing spot?

Anyone know how this kind of thing works? How do you "commit" to a HC candidate without knowing where of if they will be hired?

A week ago or so we heard rumors that Cowher was making calls to assemble a staff.

So pretend you got such a call. You have to lock yourself in somewhere to feed your family, so how can you agree to attach yourself to Cowher unless you know you both have a definite landing spot?

Anyone know how this kind of thing works? How do you "commit" to a HC candidate without knowing where of if they will be hired?

Maybe they agreed to attach themselves for only specific locations? Carolina, TB or Jax?

The way I understand it, Cowher (or any other unattached coach), doesn't actually "assemble" his staff. They are hired, by the team (once the HC is in place).

I suspect, what he does is contact perspective underlings about their interest & availability. Ultimately, they can't commit til they know specifics (salary, location, title, possiblity who else is on staff, possibly players, etc) which Cowher won't know until after he's signed on the dotted line.

Once that happens, things come together. Til then he's just organizing & getting info.

"Hello?"

"Hi. It's Bill. Thinking about the Bills gig and need a TE coach. Think you'd be interested at all if it happens?"

"Buffalo?!? <hysterical laughter> You want to talk about Buffalo?!?"

"Yeah, didn't think so. What about some other gig."

"Yeah, Bill. But, not Buffalo, land of the four headless horsemen."

"Say hello to the wife and kids. Later."

"Hello?"

"Hi. It's Bill. Thinking about the Bills gig and need a TE coach. Think you'd be interested at all if it happens?"

"Buffalo?!? <hysterical laughter> You want to talk about Buffalo?!?"

"Yeah, didn't think so. What about some other gig."

"Yeah, Bill. But, not Buffalo, land of the four headless horsemen."

"Say hello to the wife and kids. Later."

BC "Hi Mr. Eastwood. It's Bill. Thinking about the Bills gig and need a TE coach. Think you'd be interested at all if it

happens?"

Clint "Buffalo eh.. that sounds like a tough spot to be in up there Bill, but I've seen worse. Who else did you have in mind?"

BC "I was just about to give a call over to Charles Bronson <interrupted>...."

Clint "Bronson's dead."

BC "How about Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas?"

Clint "yeah, not so fast though Bill, lets not get cute."

BC"All right Mr. Eastwood, I'll tell you what. Why don't you just get back to me when you are ready with your suggestions and I won't say anything to the media until then"

Clint "yeah, stop wasting my time and be ready when I call." <Clint Eastwood hangs up.>........

BC"Thank you Mr. Eastwood. Thanks again and I'll be ready. You better bet.." <Cowher hangs up and smiles knowing that his work is now in good hands>