Unbiased HC update

Here's what appears to be the most unbiased update on the HC situation that I could find, from CBS Sports:

"Off-limits this week since their teams are playing in the wild-card round but on Buffalo's radar are New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Philadelphia defensive coordinator Sean McDermott and Arizona assistant head coach Russ Grimm.

Bills general manager Buddy Nix has expressed that a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience has an advantage to being hired in his eyes. But that list isn't as star-studded as once thought with coaches such as John Fox in Carolina, Tom Coughlin with the Giants and Lovie Smith in Chicago holding on to their current posts.

Ex-Denver coach Mike Shanahan, who spoke with Buffalo's chief executive officer Russ Brandon several weeks ago, signed to coach Washington. Ex-Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher, meanwhile, reportedly met with Brandon and team owner Ralph Wilson but remains undecided about his future coaching desires.

Ex-Baltimore coach Brian Billick's name continues to be linked to Buffalo as well but Buffalo's interest appears lukewarm.

After failed experiments with Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey in the recent past, Buffalo giving a current coordinator its head coaching post won't be a popular move with fans. One possibility is Marty Schottenheimer, a close associate of Nix from San Diego, being lured out of retirement. His son Brian would serve as offensive coordinator/assistant head coach then take over for his dad in one or two years."

Seems like that's about right.

One possibility is Marty Schottenheimer, a close associate of Nix from San Diego, being lured out of retirement. His son Brian would serve as offensive coordinator/assistant head coach then take over for his dad in one or two years."

This would be the best of both worlds scenerio. We get a proven program building HC who is known for turning teams around. Once rebuilt, he passes the team on to his son (who is clearly on the rise in the NFL coaching ranks.) Serves both sort term and long term goals and would likely satisfy the majority of fans.

This would be the best of both worlds scenerio. We get a proven program building HC who is known for turning teams around. Once rebuilt, he passes the team on to his son (who is clearly on the rise in the NFL coaching ranks.) Serves both sort term and long term goals and would likely satisfy the majority of fans.

which is exactly why it wont happen... as much as we all want it to.

Here's what appears to be the most unbiased update on the HC situation that I could find, from CBS Sports:

"Off-limits this week since their teams are playing in the wild-card round but on Buffalo's radar are New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Philadelphia defensive coordinator Sean McDermott and Arizona assistant head coach Russ Grimm.

Bills general manager Buddy Nix has expressed that a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience has an advantage to being hired in his eyes. But that list isn't as star-studded as once thought with coaches such as John Fox in Carolina, Tom Coughlin with the Giants and Lovie Smith in Chicago holding on to their current posts.

Ex-Denver coach Mike Shanahan, who spoke with Buffalo's chief executive officer Russ Brandon several weeks ago, signed to coach Washington. Ex-Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher, meanwhile, reportedly met with Brandon and team owner Ralph Wilson but remains undecided about his future coaching desires.

Ex-Baltimore coach Brian Billick's name continues to be linked to Buffalo as well but Buffalo's interest appears lukewarm.

After failed experiments with Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey in the recent past, Buffalo giving a current coordinator its head coaching post won't be a popular move with fans. One possibility is Marty Schottenheimer, a close associate of Nix from San Diego, being lured out of retirement. His son Brian would serve as offensive coordinator/assistant head coach then take over for his dad in one or two years."

Seems like that's about right.

McDermott's name has come up recently, and I'd just like to vote NO on this one. He just took over for Jimmy Johnson half way thru the summer. If we are talking experience, I don't think this guy has it.

I'm on board with the father/son combo. I agree with the analysis. My second choice, as of now, would be Brian Billick based on reports that he wants the job and has reached out to possible assistants. He's a proven head coach, offensive minded and has won the super bowl. However, I have a bad feeling that the choice will be another up and coming defensive coordinator.

In my humble eyes that's what's known as too good to be true. Schottzie is undoubtedly one of the very best coaches in the HISTORY of the game, his playoff record notwithstanding, and I'd be overjoyed to have him and doubly so if he'd be accompanied by his talented son, who as noted above is clearly on the rise in the NFL coaching ranks.

I just wish that Ralph and Nix would get together and make him/them an offer so good that it just could not be refused and I almost guarantee a winning program pretty much right off the bat. After all, check out Schottenheimer's records over the years; for God's sake, the man hardly knows what a losing season is!!

Come on Nix, convince Ralph to part with big bucks, lots of control, Brian's hiring, and get the Schottenheimer hiring done!!! :wallbash::o:(