I am thowing my hat in the Billick ring.

DarthICE

Yeah yeah I know but look at his record, he has a WINNING one. He only had a couple bad seasons in Baltimore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Billick...Football_League

Here is my thinking... He learned a ton in Baltimore from his wins and losses. Things he learned....

1. You need a great Defense.

2. To have a great Defense, you need BIG DT's and bad ass LB's.

3. If you don't have a damn good QB you lose in this league. It was his downfall in Baltimore.

4. If you have a damn good QB you win in this league :-)

5. Last but not least, He built an OUTDOOR team that does play in some cold, bad weather.

I think if Cowher isn't the guy (and I don't think he will sign here as he wants power that is Buddy Nix's) then I think Billick is the choice.

Oh and BTW, he is an OFFENSIVE mind that will be able to hopefully develop a QB and will call his own plays. BTW I wonder if Billick would have lost his job if he had Joe Flacco as his QB instead of the Scrubs they strapped him with?

Agree completely, Cowher would be a great hire but if he isn't coming Billick is not a bad fallback. He had a winning percentage of .700 before his final year at Baltimore. He was Vikings OC during some successful offensive years. His teams have won with a passing offense and a running offense when he had no QB.

My only problem with Billick is that he seemed to have lost the team his last year in Baltimore, plus the fact he never really found and developed a QB to lead his teams.

Considering he was the highly touted OC in Minnesota with Culpepper and Randy Moss and that high scoring Vikings offense. It seems kinda odd that the Ravens never even came close to being a dominate offense and he was supposedly an offensive genius.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/mar/21/sports/sp-19393

March 21, 1999|JOHN EISENBERG, BALTIMORE SUN

BALTIMORE — When the Baltimore Ravens made their interest in Scott Mitchell known, drawing a public response that was tepid at best, Ravens Coach Brian Billick asked the doubters to take a "leap of faith" in his ability to transform Mitchell into a productive starter.

Billick also held sway in the Grbac acquisition following the Super Bowl win. During their Super Bowl season, the Ravens went five consecutive games without an offensive touchdown. How is that possible?

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/mar/21/sports/sp-19393

March 21, 1999|JOHN EISENBERG, BALTIMORE SUN

BALTIMORE — When the Baltimore Ravens made their interest in Scott Mitchell known, drawing a public response that was tepid at best, Ravens Coach Brian Billick asked the doubters to take a "leap of faith" in his ability to transform Mitchell into a productive starter.

Billick also held sway in the Grbac acquisition following the Super Bowl win. During their Super Bowl season, the Ravens went five consecutive games without an offensive touchdown. How is that possible?

Great post. It is inconceivable that anyone could advocate for Billick as a offensive mind at all.

People just say stuff, just to say it.