It's going to be Marty

DevilsAlum

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...heimer-to-bills

The line that caught my attention was from AJ Smith "Buddy got along well with Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time."

If I'm not mistaken, Thurman seemed to point out on his show this week that you needed a close relationship between coach and GM. I'm betting this is the relationship he was thinking about

with the rumors coming out two days ago that the Bills were "back talking with Cowher"...and he was impressed with the team....(who knows if any of that actually took place)....but maybe if it did. - perhaps...Cowher spoke Marty - who coached under Marty in K.C. (i think) and convinced him....the Bills were hiring Nix and he advised the Chin - it is a good hire and he would be a good match.

Who knows.

It could be worse. But I believe reports that they're going all-out for Cowher, and I also believe that Buffalo is Cowher's only realistic option. Carolina wants to keep Fox and Tampa won't fire Morris after just 1 season and a huge win over the Saints.

Not according to Marty, as it turns out: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/31/marty-scho...-with-coaching/

Schottenheimer has said repeatedly that he has no desire to return to coaching, but I spoke with him briefly this afternoon to ask specifically about his ties to Nix and the Bills’ coaching job in particular. Schottenheimer said no way.

“I don’t see any way I’ll be back in coaching,” he said during a brief telephone interview this afternoon. “I’ve got a full plate as it is right now. My frequent flier miles are as high as they’ve ever been.”

Coaches lie and change their minds, but that sounds definitive. Keep an eye out for his son, though, to be pried from NY, or maybe SD DC Ron Rivera, who has had good defenses in San Diego and Chicago.

The Bills also have to comply with the Rooney rule.

Do you really think that Nix just found out about this today and hasn't talked to someone (Shotty) who is reported to be one of his best friends?

I'm thinking that they might have had a conversation on the phone. It's entirely possible that they've got this already laid out.

Then again...no one knows!

The Bills also have to comply with the Rooney rule.

Do you really think that Nix just found out about this today and hasn't talked to someone (Shotty) who is reported to be one of his best friends?

I'm thinking that they might have had a conversation on the phone. It's entirely possible that they've got this already laid out.

Then again...no one knows!

They already spoke to fewell. Rooney rule is fulfilled.

They already spoke to fewell. Rooney rule is fulfilled.

well not really....Fewell would have fullfilled the Rooney rule for a Coaching position...but the Bills also reportedly interviewed John Guy for the GM - so the Rooney rule is covered there.