Any fellow Irish fans out there?

Jay4481

I apologize, I know there are a few other Weis threads going but I want to hear from other ND fans specifically. How do you guys feel about this? When I first saw the news it literally made me sick, but I have had a day to digest and I am a little closer to the fence than I was yesterday.

Obviously we can all agree his tenure in South Bend was bad. Bad game management at times and poor defense were definite downsides. He has had great success in the NFL offensively though with the late 90's Jets and the Pats SB teams. He seems to be specifically good with QB's. I am sure he'd at least consider trading for Quinn for the right price or drafting Clausen. Bringing in Crennel as DC would bring the 3-4 with him. That could be good but it will also set us back even more since the current roster is not built for it.

I was just really looking forward to a new season next year where my two favorite football teams would be cleaning the slate with new coaches. Now this...ugh.

I apologize, I know there are a few other Weis threads going but I want to hear from other ND fans specifically. How do you guys feel about this? When I first saw the news it literally made me sick, but I have had a day to digest and I am a little closer to the fence than I was yesterday.

Obviously we can all agree his tenure in South Bend was bad. Bad game management at times and poor defense were definite downsides. He has had great success in the NFL offensively though with the late 90's Jets and the Pats SB teams. He seems to be specifically good with QB's. I am sure he'd at least consider trading for Quinn for the right price or drafting Clausen. Bringing in Crennel as DC would bring the 3-4 with him. That could be good but it will also set us back even more since the current roster is not built for it.

I was just really looking forward to a new season next year where my two favorite football teams would be cleaning the slate with new coaches. Now this...ugh.

Jay, I not only am an Irish fan but I attended the University as well. I don't see Romeo Crennel coming back unless he is a HC and I don't see that happening anytime soon for what ever reason. As far as Weiss goes I am sure he would relish the opportunity to stick it to his former boss Belicheat twice a year. I mean who wouldn't? That being said I think the first thing that needs to be done by the Bills to show the fans they are sincere is a complete house cleaning in the front office. Seeing you are an Irish fan there is another coach out there that is very good with quarterbacks and would make an excellent Offensive Coordinator that has ties to ND and he has been very successful. How about Tom Clements as our new O.C.?

Jay, I not only am an Irish fan but I attended the University as well. I don't see Romeo Crennel coming back unless he is a HC and I don't see that happening anytime soon for what ever reason. As far as Weiss goes I am sure he would relish the opportunity to stick it to his former boss Belicheat twice a year. I mean who wouldn't? That being said I think the first thing that needs to be done by the Bills to show the fans they are sincere is a complete house cleaning in the front office. Seeing you are an Irish fan there is another coach out there that is very good with quarterbacks and would make an excellent Offensive Coordinator that has ties to ND and he has been very successful. How about Tom Clements as our new O.C.?

Clements' 2 years as Bills OC in 2004 and 2005 were uneventful but he has a decent track record as a QB coach--right now for Green Bay. I think that Weis will want to call plays no matter who holds the title.

I think the opposite with Crennel--I think he would be happy in his early sixties coming off hip replacement surgery and a tough tenure in Cleveland--to have complete control of a D. Weis would likely give him that.

I posted this in another thread -- but here is my opinion on Weis:

Weis was cocky enough to think he could overcome the challenges of Notre Dame. There is no football dorm, there is no training table, there is an unbending disciplinary and academic standard that goes beyond even the Stanford's and Northwestern's. Its just the ND way but it fails in today's football factory mentality. Weis thought he was mighty enough to overcome all this--he wasn't--he tried to bully the system a few times and found out Our Lady is more powerful than the Gospel according to Tuna. It turned out to be a bad situation for both. Charlie is more of a pro coach. I believe this in all my heart. His ego couldn't take pandering to 17 and 18 year olds...he wants to be able to "Fire" guys who don't live up to the standard. The lesson he had at ND will serve him well...I think he can be a really good pro coach.

I am not an alum but a fan...its been almost as tough being an Irish fan as a Bills fan.

Weis would be a great choice as O.C., but obviously, the jury's still out as a Head Coach. The ND gig was a failure, for whatever reason. He seemed to get good recruiting classes, but just couldn't put anything together. He wouldn't have Tom Brady here in Buffalo, so things may not be as easy for him here as ot was with the Patsies. Unless he could teach Trent Edwards when and when not to check down, I think he'd struggle here.

Is Weis considered a good talent evaluator? We need a front office before any coach can have success.

Weis would be a great choice as O.C., but obviously, the jury's still out as a Head Coach. The ND gig was a failure, for whatever reason. He seemed to get good recruiting classes, but just couldn't put anything together. He wouldn't have Tom Brady here in Buffalo, so things may not be as easy for him here as ot was with the Patsies. Unless he could teach Trent Edwards when and when not to check down, I think he'd struggle here.

Is Weis considered a good talent evaluator? We need a front office before any coach can have success.

Weiss would come here as a head coach and OC who develops QB's.....even Tom Brady credits Weiss with a lot of his development and then Weiss goes to ND and possibly has his QB being drafted #1 overall after only his junior year...this guy knows how to run an offense...how to develop QB's and how to protect QB's

Weiss would have been a great pickup 4 years ago...he still is now only with 4 years of HC experience added to it

He'd be a great addition

I like the idea of having weis as HC/OC, and crennel as DC, they have worked well together in the past. I think romeo could do great things with the defense, especially Maybin, who looks more and more like a olb not a legit DE. The only question would be who the GM would be, cause weis would not be wise to try and lobby for double duty. I would like nolan or haslett as DC if romeo said no. But it looks like no legit coach with a winning record will step foot in buffalo, so our only hope is to try to get the guy with a good system, and experience.