Roderick Scott aquitted

PushthePile

I can easily understand why. Scott was probably sick and tired of people committing crimes in his neighborhood. It's easy to say he should have done nothing but call 911 and watch the cops show up 20 minutes later when the guys are long gone, but a lot of people (thankfully) aren't willing to settle for that outcome.

Instead he decided to make sure they got caught. And if you are confronting guys late at night with the intent of seeing them arrested, it's probably a good idea to show your weapon to take control of the situation as firmly as possible.

I agree that once you get yourself into that situation, bad things can and often do happen. The punishment may not have fit the crime, but that's the fault of the criminal and the risk he took by choosing to spend his evening committing crimes.

:rolleyes:

These stupid juries that give out huge sums of money to people who've broken the law should realize the same thing. Sorry stupid Jackass broke his leg but if he hadn't been there in the first place it wouldn't have happened.

I can easily understand why. Scott was probably sick and tired of people committing crimes in his neighborhood. It's easy to say he should have done nothing but call 911 and watch the cops show up 20 minutes later when the guys are long gone, but a lot of people (thankfully) aren't willing to settle for that outcome.

Instead he decided to make sure they got caught. And if you are confronting guys late at night with the intent of seeing them arrested, it's probably a good idea to show your weapon to take control of the situation as firmly as possible.

I agree that once you get yourself into that situation, bad things can and often do happen. The punishment may not have fit the crime, but that's the fault of the criminal and the risk he took by choosing to spend his evening committing crimes.

I'm completely against untrained citizens arming themselves and attempting to play the role of a police officer. Scott has no training in how to handle that situation. The neighborhood this took place in, his hardly a haven of crime. Combined efforts of the neighborhood and persistent contact with the police higher ups would have fixed this situation.

What if the kid was armed and shot Scott? Terrible decision that most of us wouldn't make. Obviously, if someone enters your home it's a different story. Scott chose to leave his home and point his pistol at somebody accross the street. At that point he doesn't even really know whats going on. How many mistaken 911 reports are called in?

Anytime you threaten a person with a gun, it creates chaos. People react differently to having a gun pointed at them. Leave it to the professionals and stay in your house.

I would not draw a weapon in defense of property. Life, mine or others of course. Not property.

Having said that, When Cervini ran at Scott the situation changed dramatically. He just as easily could have run away, but choose to put Scott in a life threating situation. The shooting was justified at that point.

To steal a line from Outlaw Josey Wales -Gene Hackman"you just shot a unarmed man"-Eastwood"Well he should have armed himself"

Jim, there was no real proof that Cervini ran at Scott. Just Scotts word. Scott announced he had a gun, why would someone run at someone with a gun? I really don't know if he ran at him or not, it is his word against the other kid with was with Cervini.

He lived in Greece. Not exactly a hot spot for crime.

Jim, there was no real proof that Cervini ran at Scott. Just Scotts word. Scott announced he had a gun, why would someone run at someone with a gun? I really don't know if he ran at him or not, it is his word against the other kid with was with Cervini.

Well apparently the jury believed him, and since they sat through the trial and heard evidence I didn't, I have no business second guessing them.

Maybe the kid was high?

So? Dansville, NY isn't exactly a hotspot of crime either, but it didn't stop a series of car break-ins over multiple weeks this summer around my grandparents house.

I don't know about you, but one crime in my neighborhood is one too many.

So? Dansville, NY isn't exactly a hotspot of crime either, but it didn't stop a series of car break-ins over multiple weeks this summer around my grandparents house.

I don't know about you, but one crime in my neighborhood is one too many.

No, I love crime in my neighborhood <_. What I was responding to was the comment about Scott being tired of all the crime in his neighborhood. Comparing the crime in Greece to crime in the city is rather silly. I agree one crime is to many.

What scares you more, kids breaking in cars or guys running around with guns chasing them?

And yet a guy was shot and killed by the Greece PD just last night for wandering around his neighborhood waving a gun around. Only a mile or two from where Cervini was killed.

:rolleyes: You need to do a little reading on the Greece PD "higher ups".

The majority of the department would love nothing more than to just go back to work. A handful of phone calls would not be ignored. My uncle lives in the same neighborhood as this shooting and the crime is nothing more than your average teenage nonsense.