Reggie Wells/ Israel Idonije

C.Biscuit97

So I was watching the Cards-Vikes game last nite and as the Cards' offensive starters were being announced, the name Reggie Wells stood out to me. I was wondering why a guard's name would make any type of impact and then I realized something. One of Marv's first moves was to sign Wells, who was a RFA at the time. He isn't the best of guard in the league but he is a good and fairly young one. Along with Wells, Marv also tried to sign another RFA from the Bears, DT/ST Idonije. He's not a star but he is a very solid rotational guy. Both teams matched and we didn't end up with either player. But it's interesting to think the type of chain reactions that may have happened if we did get these deals done.

- Wells signing would have stopped us from signing Dockery. That would free up $10 million (his salary & signing bonus) to use else where.

- If there is no Dockery, perhaps Peters doesn't take his hard line stance in his contract demands. I did always agree that Peters deserved more money. My problem was that he acted like a child in order to get it and the Bills couldn't just bow to his demands. However, when an average guard like Dockery is getting paid almost double what Peters was making, I can understand his frustration. But with a guy like Wells making reasonable $, perhaps Peters and the Bills could have engaged in more civil contract discussions.

- If we sign II, we don't trade up to draft McCargo. Either we traded up for another player or stay put where we are with additional draft picks.

I guess the main point is that sometimes like moves can make a huge difference. For a lot less cost, we could have had 2 better players and prevent a serious of bad front office moves. So while we curse Ralph Wilson, Marv, Jauron, & Brandon, lay the blame where it really belongs: On the Cards and Bears for matching our offers. <_<