TBD's 2010 World Cup Thread

PTS

World Cup Tickets Purchased:

1. South Africa: 361,582

2: USA: 84,103

3. England: 48,388

Link: http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/worldcup2010...rticle_id=21626

Being at the last World Cup, attendance was very strong from a US fan perspective but looks like it will be pale in comparison to the number of tickets US fans are buying this time around.

Americans will never support soccer! :devil:

It was almost 84,104 but I've been out of work a couple months and couldn't afford it :lol: Glad to see the US fans heading to the matches, though! That's awesome! I think WC 2006 created a LOT of new fans in this country, cause ESPN and ABC did a fantastic job with the coverage. Even women at work who weren't sports fans knew what was going on...pretty cool!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was almost 84,104 but I've been out of work a couple months and couldn't afford it :ph34r: Glad to see the US fans heading to the matches, though! That's awesome! I think WC 2006 created a LOT of new fans in this country, cause ESPN and ABC did a fantastic job with the coverage. Even women at work who weren't sports fans knew what was going on...pretty cool!

Only 5000ish tickets per game are available as is for fans from a country. The others are sold as part of 'packages' which are largely purchased by companies and holiday firms (who then sell them in lager packages to include flights, hotel rooms, etc). If all the tickets were just put up on sale fans from England would not only try to buy every ticket for their group games, but it is likely every possible game in the knockout stages would be sold out as well. Just with the economic situation (and we have been hit even harder than pretty much everywhere else (barring basket cases like Iceland)) fans can not afford the packages over here.

In Germany although the stadiums were not full of English fans there were vast numbers at the football parks, here fans hung out in big crowds, watching on immense screens but enjoying the atmosphere of what was a huge party (or the longest, biggest tailgate ever, if you prefer).

The refs !@#$ed everybody in South Korea.

Italy 'deserved' to win the following championship based on the scandalous officiating in S Korea. It was like 11 men against 14 out there. Really, really awful. I could not bellieve how bad it was. And coming from an England fan (Hand of Freakin' God and all) that is saying a lot.

(And the calls against the Bills over the years were nothing compareed to the **** Italy had to put up with, in my mind. Seriously).

Italy 'deserved' to win the following championship based on the scandalous officiating in S Korea. It was like 11 men against 14 out there. Really, really awful. I could not bellieve how bad it was. And coming from an England fan (Hand of Freakin' God and all) that is saying a lot.

(And the calls against the Bills over the years were nothing compareed to the **** Italy had to put up with, in my mind. Seriously).

I'm no fan of Italy but that game against South Korea in 2002 was an absolute joke. The worst officiating in any sports match ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4iW8pDnft8

Edit: I updated the YouTube link because the previous one was the incorrect video. It didn't have all the terrible calls made in favor of host Korea.