Grey Cup winner

notwoz

As some of you will know Trestman is under contract to the Montreal team for another year. Their GM has already said that they will not release him. A payment or other consideration could resolve this of course but without an agreement between the Bills and the Allouettes he is not going anywhere. Commisioner Goodell would definitely not permit it and there is a deal between the two leagues that I believe governs such matters.

As some of you will know Trestman is under contract to the Montreal team for another year. Their GM has already said that they will not release him. A payment or other consideration could resolve this of course but without an agreement between the Bills and the Allouettes he is not going anywhere. Commisioner Goodell would definitely not permit it and there is a deal between the two leagues that I believe governs such matters.

On the one hand, this is unfortunate news.

On the other hand, we don't even know if Trestman was/is/will be on the Bills' radar screen.

Good of you to post this, though.

Dont know where this information came from. The only agreement I could find between the CFL and NFL was this

In 1997, the NFL provided a $3-million USD interest-free loan to the financially struggling CFL, as CFL teams were losing money after the failed US expansion. In return, the NFL was granted access to CFL players entering a defined two-month window in the option year of their contract. This was later written into the CFL's collective bargaining agreement with its players. The CFL's finances have since stabilized and they eventually repaid the loan. The CFL–NFL agreement expired in 2006. Both leagues have been attempting to reach a new agreement, however the CFL broke off negotiations after Rogers Communications paid $78-million to host eight games of the Buffalo Bills over five seasons.

Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League

If someone could find something more relevant I'd love to read it.

Dont know where this information came from. The only agreement I could find between the CFL and NFL was this

In 1997, the NFL provided a $3-million USD interest-free loan to the financially struggling CFL, as CFL teams were losing money after the failed US expansion. In return, the NFL was granted access to CFL players entering a defined two-month window in the option year of their contract. This was later written into the CFL's collective bargaining agreement with its players. The CFL's finances have since stabilized and they eventually repaid the loan. The CFL–NFL agreement expired in 2006. Both leagues have been attempting to reach a new agreement, however the CFL broke off negotiations after Rogers Communications paid $78-million to host eight games of the Buffalo Bills over five seasons.

Looks like you are right. The leagues broke off negotiations in 2008 due to the Bills in Toronto series. Interestingly, the parts of the agreement dealing with NFL access to players in Canada entering the option year of their contracts appears to have survived the formal agreement that terminated in 2006 since it applied to Cam Wake who joined the Dolphins over the summer. Probably his contract was entered into when the agreement was still in place.

The Agreement never dealt with the situation of coaches however.

One thing I have noticed is that the Canadians love the CFL despite the NFL. That isn't to say that CFL fans don't also enjoy the NFL (and US college football) but some aren't too crazy about the prospects of a Toronto NFL franchise and what negatives that may bring for the CFL. The Labor Day holiday brings a rivalry weekend in the CFL that a sizable number of CFL fans seem to enjoy.