Want to run the ball?

FightClub

I know there are some Mike Leach supporters on the board, and that offense is really impressive, but I don't think it would work in Buffalo. We need to run the ball.

One guy I would throw out there for discussion in Paul Johnston, current head coach at Georgia Tech. I call him the anti-Mike Leach as where Leach has a brilliant structure for the passing game, Johnston has an equally brilliant approach to the running game.

His offense has had success where ever he has gone, and while it might not work in its purest form in the NFL, I believe he would accept the challenge of proving it would work there, and make adjustments to that end. I think that has been the only reason he has left coaching positions in the past - to prove his offense will work where he goes next. The NFL would be his ultimate challenge

At Tech, this offense routinely scores 40 points a game against just about any competition. It is relentless. Also, coach Johnston is a no-nonsense leader. I live here in Atlanta and have heard multiple interviews with him and am always impressed with his frankness and tough mentality.

Also, the offense is NOT the triple option, that is only one of the plays that can be run from this offense. I believe, given the chance, he would adjust this offense slightly to work in the NFL. Give him someone like Vick and watch the fireworks.

For an education on this offense, watch

EDIT TO ADD: I should add that I am very much in favor of Shanahan, but I think Johnston should be added to the list of "other HC candidates" if we can't lure Shanahan.

I love him and what he has done with GT football, but Im not sure what success he could have in the NFL with his only real experience with a O is the triple option. Id rather have Jim Harbaugh, he is my number one choice right now - even over Shanny. Maybe Martyball would want to be the GM in that case - he has said he doesnt want to coach, maybe GM? Those two are cut from the same cloth.

I love him and what he has done with GT football, but Im not sure what success he could have in the NFL with his only real experience with a O is the triple option. Id rather have Jim Harbaugh, he is my number one choice right now - even over Shanny. Maybe Martyball would want to be the GM in that case - he has said he doesnt want to coach, maybe GM? Those two are cut from the same cloth.

As I think you know, Thoner, I'm also a big Jim Harbaugh fan. He's a very good former NFL QB who as a college head coach developed Josh Johnson who was a 5th round pick in 2008 by Tampa Bay.

At the University of San Diego he took over a team which was 4-7. His first year they went 7-4. They then had two consecutive 11-1 seasons, winning the league championship two years in a row.

Harbaugh was then hired at Stanford in 2006. He inherited a team which went 1-11 in 2005. In his first year Stanford improved to 4-8.

In Harbaugh's second year at Stanford, his unranked team was a 41 point underdog to #1 ranked USC. Stanford beat USC 24-23 making the victory the biggest upset in NCAA College Football history. Stanford finished the season 5-7.

This year they are 7-4, pending the results of tonight's season finale against Notre Dame.

Harbaugh has a strong record of developing quarterbacks and winning teams. He was a very good NFL quarterback.

That said, Harbaugh played college football at Michigan and his offense this year heavily emphasizes the running game. Stanford simply doesn't have many athletes on the defensive side so Harbaugh protects his defense by implementing a power running approach.

He's also doing a great job of developing Andrew Luck at Stanford who is a redshirt freshman (20 years old, 6'4" 235 pounds) who led Stanford to victories over two ranked opponents, USC and Oregon this year.

In six seasons as a college head coach, Harbaugh has taken over two very bad programs and compiled a record of 45-25.

I'd be happy if he was a candidate for the Bills head coaching job and overjoyed if he came in as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator.

I know there are some Mike Leach supporters on the board, and that offense is really impressive, but I don't think it would work in Buffalo. We need to run the ball.

One guy I would throw out there for discussion in Paul Johnston, current head coach at Georgia Tech. I call him the anti-Mike Leach as where Leach has a brilliant structure for the passing game, Johnston has an equally brilliant approach to the running game.

His offense has had success where ever he has gone, and while it might not work in its purest form in the NFL, I believe he would accept the challenge of proving it would work there, and make adjustments to that end. I think that has been the only reason he has left coaching positions in the past - to prove his offense will work where he goes next. The NFL would be his ultimate challenge

At Tech, this offense routinely scores 40 points a game against just about any competition. It is relentless. Also, coach Johnston is a no-nonsense leader. I live here in Atlanta and have heard multiple interviews with him and am always impressed with his frankness and tough mentality.

Also, the offense is NOT the triple option, that is only one of the plays that can be run from this offense. I believe, given the chance, he would adjust this offense slightly to work in the NFL. Give him someone like Vick and watch the fireworks.

For an education on this offense, watch

EDIT TO ADD: I should add that I am very much in favor of Shanahan, but I think Johnston should be added to the list of "other HC candidates" if we can't lure Shanahan.

Oh, goody. If we are going to run some kind of gimmicky option offense, we might as well go for broke.

Do whatever it takes to sign Urban Meyer, and give up all our draft picks to ensure we can draft Tebow.

Johnson and Vick? :)

As I think you know, Thoner, I'm also a big Jim Harbaugh fan. He's a very good former NFL QB who as a college head coach has developed two drafted quarterbacks in 3 years at the University of San Diego...Josh Johnson who was a 5th round pick in 2008 and Josh Freeman who was a 1st round pick the this year.

At the University of San Diego he took over a team which was 4-7. His first year they went 7-4. They then had two consecutive 11-1 seasons, winning the league championship two years in a row.

Harbaugh was then hired at Stanford in 2006. He inherited a team which went 1-11 in 2005. In his first year Stanford improved to 4-8.

In Harbaugh's second year at Stanford, his unranked team was a 41 point underdog to #1 ranked USC. Stanford beat USC 24-23 making the victory the biggest upset in NCAA College Football history. Stanford finished the season 5-7.

This year they are 7-4, pending the results of tonight's season finale against Notre Dame.

Harbaugh has a proven record of developing quarterbacks and winning teams. He was a very good NFL quarterback.

That said, Harbaugh played college football at Michigan and his offense this year heavily emphasizes the running game. Stanford simply doesn't have many athletes on the defensive side so Harbaugh protects his defense by implementing a power running approach.

He's also doing a great job of developing Andrew Luck at Stanford who is a redshirt freshman (20 years old, 6'4" 235 pounds) who led Stanford to victories over two ranked opponents, USC and Oregon this year.

In six seasons as a college head coach, Harbaugh has taken over two very bad programs and compiled a record of 45-25.

I'd be happy if he was a candidate for the Bills head coaching job and overjoyed if he came in as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator.

Would Jim Kelly approve of hiring Jim Harbaugh? The man did slug him in the face and fracture his own hand in the process.

Bills QBs have thrown for 2,008 yards on 334 attempts this year = 6.01 yards per attempt

Georgia Tech QBs have thrown for 1,491 yards on 128 attempts = 11.65 yards per attempt

This type of running attack opens up the passing attack as well. They have a bunch of long (70+ yard) touchdown completions this year.

Would Jim Kelly approve of hiring Jim Harbaugh? The man did slug him in the face and fracture his own hand in the process.

Kelly was right. Harbaugh was a wimp.

Harbaugh a wimp?

He was a four year starter at Michigan. He was a first round draft pick. Harbaugh played 14 seasons in the NFL. Kelly played a total of 13 seasons of pro football.

I've never heard anyone question Harbaugh's toughness.

And if you actually saw him play, BillsfaninFL (judging from comments I can only assume this is not the case) you wouldn't judge his toughness either. The guy was the ultimate gamer. Harbaugh was given the nickname Captain Comeback for a reason. He was the ultimate competitor.