Someone needs to show this to Maybin

Thoner7

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest problem with Maybin at this point is not his physical strength (even though it definately has to improve)

it is his lack of secondary pass rush move when OT's ride him outside.......he just swims up field hoping he can work his way back to the QB.....

This is where "leverage and technique" come into play......he needs to be able to set up OT's with the first step quickness then be able to spin back to the QB.

The Raiders take a lot of heat for drafting Darrius Heyward-Bey for his raw speed. But, the Bills pick of Maybin is of the same ilk. The Raiders think they can teach Darrius how to be a football player, how to run routes, and how to catch a football. They can't teach speed. For the Bills, they think they can develop Maybin and teach him how to be a football player. The guy started less than 1 full season of NCAA football. But, he has that good burst off the ball that they can't teach.

Soooo many idiots.

Maybin is a project pick that has limited playing experience and came out of School early to boot. Please do not expect miracles in year one or compare him to more traditional draft picks.

I think it's fair to expect a #11 pick to CONTRIBUTE, not to be a "project pick." The Bills aren't good enough to take "project picks."

The Raiders take a lot of heat for drafting Darrius Heyward-Bey for his raw speed. But, the Bills pick of Maybin is of the same ilk. The Raiders think they can teach Darrius how to be a football player, how to run routes, and how to catch a football. They can't teach speed. For the Bills, they think they can develop Maybin and teach him how to be a football player. The guy started less than 1 full season of NCAA football. But, he has that good burst off the ball that they can't teach.

Take note that the Raiders, like the Bills, suck. Their draft record over the last few years is only worse than ours because they have been picking higher. Drafting a multi year projet requires 2 things. 1 - the team does not need him to start right away, like a Steelers, and 2 - the coaches to develope such a player. The Bills havent had either for 10 years.

I think it's fair to expect a #11 pick to CONTRIBUTE, not to be a "project pick." The Bills aren't good enough to take "project picks."

The refer to the end of my post that you didn't quote.

two words for you all - Eric Moulds

Orapko...Oher...or other available picks at positions of need who are making an immediate impact, like Brian Cushing, Larry English (who is being groomed to replace Meriman) and many others... the best "developmental" player in the draft was Michael Johnson, and he went in the third round. Maybin's selection with the first pick caused us to have a good draft, but not a great one.

CIN has given Johnson a fair amount of playing time. A bit more since Antwan Odom tore his Achilles tendon and went on IR a few weeks ago.

He has something like 7 credited tackles, and watching the games, he gets into the backfield. IIRC, he has 3 pass batt-downs. CIN is undecided if he is best suited as a DE or a LB. Personally, I don't think he can play LB.

He does show ability to shoulder a blocker aside and duck in and keep his feet and apply QB pressure. We'll see.

Oher...

I watched the 2 games, BAL vs. CIN.

1st game, they started him at LT, but soon moved him back to RT. He got beat early and that he was inexperienced showed.

2nd game, he was at RT. In both, BAL spent large effort to aid him, IMO, to their detriment. I could be wrong, but I had the impression that BAL r didn't run right to his side much. I recorded the game, so I guess I should take a look, and see.

He's a work in progress. I know nothing about BAL's roster and OL depth; maybe they have to give him the starts.

Speaking of BAL...they certainly missed Ngata against CIN. Lewis and Reed seem to have lost a step. Their def. backfield is suspect...when they bring 8 into the box, their backfield just aren't doing the job on man coverage. Once again, their wide-outs got owned by CIN's cbs - Mason had 10 tossed his way, and caught 3. IIRC, 19 yards was BAL's longest pass play. CIN's DC Zimmer is calling a fine D plan, though. How he does this after the sudden death of his wife is amazing.

Flacco's getting figured out - their staff better work on that. Rice was their leading receive with 8, and they got 210 yards' TO - 35 on a garbage play at the end. Lost the TOP battle 40 to 20 - even with CIN misfiring in the 2nd half.

2 cents.

Ill admit Maybin is athletic, but he does not play physical enough. Here is a short clip that Maybin needs to see of just a simple bull rush with force. It takes athletic ability and power to be successful. I know its an Orakpo vid but I dont want this to come off like a "we should have taken Orakpo" thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglSpWWkGbE...feature=related

I wonder if the Bills coaches are addressing this obvious weakness in Maybins game. My guess is no.

Unfortunately, reputations about PSU linebackers, defensive players, other players in general - needs to be revised.

For several years, they have lined up early-season cupcake teams that travel to Beaver Stadium for a beating in exchange for a hefty check. When they square off against decent conference competition...

Were I in a position to draft, I would be very leery about selecting any player coming out of that business organization. The most successful thing I've seen out of their program in recent years is the marketing of JoePa.