Notes From Last Weekend's Games

R. Rich

Alabama's LB unit is pretty damn good! In particular, I was impressed by WLB Freddie Roach and MLB Cornelius Wortham. They were all over the place. I also was impressed by the blocking of LT Wesley Britt. If this kid is available when the Bills pick, they should seriously consider him...........As far as the game against LSU is concerned, they gave it a game effort. They also were ridiculously screwed by a horrible non-call by the refs. LSU defensive back Corey Webster pushed a Bama WR in the chest WITH BOTH HANDS, causing the WR (I forget which one it was) to fall down, missing a chance at a TD. Webster, in turn, caught the INT in the end zone. The score at the time was 10-6 Alabama. That play changed the course of the game for both teams. LSU eventually wore down 'Bama, a team that can run the ball well but can't play that well from behind since they aren't a good passing team. But, with a 17-6 lead, they could've kept feeding the ball to Kenneth Darby, who had over 100 yards on the day. LSU got away with one there. I hope 'Bama can shake this one off and get ready for Auburn. If they play as hard against Auburn as they did for LSU, that will be one heck of a game!

Utah continues to kick a** and take names. This team deserves to be in the top 6 of the BCS. Heck, I'd like to see how they would do against a team like Oklahoma or USC. They can score well, and their defense is not that bad (ask Texas A&M). Alex Smith is a dangerous QB when he gets going. He can run as well as pass, and they are loaded at the skill positions, especially at WR with standouts Parris Warren and Steve Savoy. They'll make things interesting down the stretch.

I'm happy that Penn State held on to beat Indiana, but man, did the defense lay an egg. They let the Hoosiers throw the ball on them??? Damn.

Did Georgia get a spanking by Auburn or what? I didn't tape or tivo that game (damn!), but I plan on tivo'ing the Alabama-Auburn game this weekend. I've only seen one Auburn game, when they beat LSU, and from what I saw, they are very good. I'm looking forward to getting another chance to see Auburn's QB, Jason Campbell, again. He shredded Georgia's defense last week. If he does the same to a very good Crimson Tide defense, he should get even more recognition.

Oh yeah, speaking of players, here's ESPN's list of top contenders for the Hypeman Trophy. Hmmm.....Adrian Peterson 4th on their list, huh? Riiiiiiiiiiiight. This is the reason people laugh at this so-called award. Yeah, it goes to the best player in college football alright. I guess that's why Orlando Pace has one on his mantle, since he was clearly the best player in the nation in his last year at Ohio State, right?

I watched the Miami-Virginia game on Saturday, mainly to get a good look at the Virginia LB group. While Ahmad Brooks really looked good, as did Kai Parham, the one that blew me away was Darryl Blackstock. This guy is a QB sack machine! He's incredible at creating pressure on the QB, whether he ends up with the sack or not. He should be one heck of a pro pass rusher.

Has anyone seen Temple play this year? I wanted to tivo their game last weekend vs Syracuse, but it was blacked out (dammit!). I want to get some tape on LB Rian Wallace, who I hear is awesome. I also have heard good things about their QB, Walter Washington. Those of you who watched the game, or any other Temple games this year, and have some insight on either of these 2 players, please let me know what you think.

Utah continues to kick a** and take names.  This team deserves to be in the top 6 of the BCS.  Heck, I'd like to see how they would do against a team like Oklahoma or USC.  They can score well, and their defense is not that bad (ask Texas A&M).  Alex Smith is a dangerous QB when he gets going.  He can run as well as pass, and they are loaded at the skill positions, especially at WR with standouts Parris Warren and Steve Savoy.  They'll make things interesting down the stretch.

I'm happy that Penn State held on to beat Indiana, but man, did the defense lay an egg.  They let the Hoosiers throw the ball on them???  Damn. 

Did Georgia get a spanking by Auburn or what?  I didn't tape or tivo that game (damn!), but I plan on tivo'ing the Alabama-Auburn game this weekend.  I've only seen one Auburn game, when they beat LSU, and from what I saw, they are very good.  I'm looking forward to getting another chance to see Auburn's QB, Jason Campbell, again.  He shredded Georgia's defense last week.  If he does the same to a very good Crimson Tide defense, he should get even more recognition. 

R.Rich, excellent post as always!!!

I agree with you about Utah, $crew this concept that you have to be a big time program in a big time conference to compete for the big bowls. Utah getting into the BC$ mix would defiinately spark my interest, because how often does a team like Utah get an opportunity like that?

About our beloved Nittany Lions, hey, a win is a win, I just hope they can get a couple more to at least end on somewhat of a high note.

Georgia IMO has been a major disappointment. I really felt this team would have been competing for the National Championship, oh well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.