Pondering About The Game and season

Steely Dan

TO let Trent know he missed seeing him wide-open on one play. I was glad he got in his face. Didn't do any good though.

I can't figure Trent out, the first 2 games he had this confidence (swagger) about him, but this game (right from the start), he looked scared and un-sure of himself & he played that way. It was the same thing last season, he just seems up and down to me. :devil:

I can't figure Trent out, the first 2 games he had this confidence (swagger) about him, but this game (right from the start), he looked scared and un-sure of himself & he played that way. It was the same thing last season, he just seems up and down to me. :devil:

Wait a minute...does that mean trent no longer has "it"?

Nice breakdown.

I thought folks were doing the classic "fly too close to the sun thing" when we won against a poor TB squad and I was being labeled as negative. I was only trying to keep on an even keel about the team and where they were really at.

The only things I would add are:

1. Our defense played really well, but got gashed in the second half of the game - I think they either ran out of gas or ran out of hope after DJ punted on 4-1. Also teams are running over Maybin where he lines up - most TEs can man-handle him at this stage (he is still playing too light for the position).

2. Schobel and Kyle have come out of the gate strong, and we have had several Kelsay sightings this year.

3. Florence had a terrific game.

4. Hangartner was abysmal on shotgun snaps - Trent had to pick about 15 snaps off of his laces (that should have been corrected early in the game).

5. Trent is still a second and a half off of critical sideline throws. Balls are being dropped, juggled, or caught out of bounds not because our receivers are not open on the routes, but rather because Trent is too slow getting the ball there when they break towards the sideline. On a critical play late in the game Owens did a quick out, but had to slowly jog towards the sideline as Trent threw it too late and out of bounds. Those quick outs were there all day - something has to be done to correct this. If DBs are going to play 10 yards off of Lee and Terrell, with safety help over top, those outs and comeback routes should be there all day. If nothing else we need to throw in a wide receiver screen if they are playing that far off our guys.

6. Eric Wood had a rough outing, quite a few calls going his way - not sure about the tripping call, that looked like he just did a legal (i think - they keep changing the rules) cut block on their D.

7. The offensive line looked waay green trying to pick up stunts. The Titans did some twists that overloaded the middle of the line and they worked well and caused some of the afore mentioned holding calls on Wood. Thought our backs picked up many of the stunts and blitzers when kept in, but when afforded opportunity Trent was indecisive or inacurate. Thought that Trent looked more at ease when rolling out - AVP should design some of those to use on teams that overload the middle on D.

8. Fine is not very good as a pass-catching TE, either Nelson has to heal in a hurry or Edwards needs to practic throwing to Stupar.

9. Edwards arm strength and accuracy are still in question when the wind and weather kick in at the Ralph and the weather is likely to get worse.

10. 4-1 and punt, down two scores with a little over 3 minutes to play and your defense already gassed. - totally gutless call that made absolutely no sense. DICK there is no 5th quarter, TAKE YOUR SHOT AT WINNING A GAME!!! A true head-scratcher and a not-to-gentle reminder that Dick seems to care more about how bad the score will look in the upcoming loss than trying to get a victory. Totally fell on his sword there.

I ask you, how can a team develop a winning attitude when they are coached to accept losing?

11. 4th and twenty-something and Trent checks down to a 3 yard throw - WTF? Mirror's the head coach's philosophy of trying to get another meaningless reception rather than take a chance.

The offense looked really bad, but unlike some I am not going to crucify the O-Line. We have a ton of youth on the line and Greg Williams did a lot to expose them. They will get better.

Trent however, I am much more worried about. He is showing traits that I keep hoping are correctable, but this is his third year and he needs to correct them now. We have rookie QBs in the league who are outplaying him in his 3rd year, and I do not want to hear about the time lost to injury. Get the ball out there when the receiver makes his break, and hit the deep routes. Those quick outs and slants were there all day for a quick 6-7 yard gain, but he has to get the ball there quicker. You do that enough then the DBs have to play up on your WR and Terrell and Lee excel at releasing off the line and getting separation when cornerbacks play up on them.