OT Bass Pro

At the Aud, or in Buffalo at all?

:)  :huh:  :doh:

10 Day old news:

Bass Pro Just Weeks Away, According to Company

The president of the Bass Pro outdoor lifestyle chain says wrapping up a deal to locate one of its superstores in Buffalo will happen "within a few weeks." James Hagale tells Channel 2's Stefan Michajliw, "We are very close to doing that."

We've heard that before, but not in such confident terms. Early in June, Bass Pro opened its first store to be located in New York State. Asked about Buffalo, Governor George Pataki told us, "I'm very optimistic, and we're going to do all we can to get it done."

Hagale at that time said, "I don't think the project is that far down the road." How far down the road? "We're not talking about months," he said. "I think we're talking about weeks."

That was back in June. "Here it is November, and still nothing," Rich Kellman tells Buffalo Mayor Anthony Masiello.

"Rich, I wish it was done," the mayor replies. He says he still believes it will be done "soon."

At the opening of a new Bass Pro store north of Toronto on Wednesday, company president Hagale told us, "We are very enthusiastic about trying to get that completed."

Buffalo has had more than its share of dashed dreams, the Adelphia waterfront project for one. But if you suspend your skepticism, just imagine the possibilities.

The strains of a string quartet mix with the sound of merchants hawking cherries, peaches and fresh seafood. It's the waterfront in Seattle in late June.

"It's wonderful," says one. "It's tourist season, the sun's out. You can't get any better than that."

Wherever you look, you see people and vendors and more people. Businesses bringing in visitors who create a climate for more business.

It's a cascade of cause and effect and cause, a cycle of growth and optimism, and even a touch of Buffalo and the Bills. "Fresh fish," cries one of the vendors. "Crab and shrimp, Lawyer Miloy's favorite, right here folks."

"Is any of that comparable, do you think, to Buffalo? Kellman asks Masiello.

"Yeah, I think we're very similar to Seattle," he says. "Agreement will be done, I think, in the very near future, then it'll take a year and a half to build it out."

"Then would you say it's a couple of weeks away?"

"I believe so," the mayor replies."

Near Toronto on Wednesday, Hagale said, "We want that whole area to be redeveloped and revitalized. We think that's going to happen. It's going to be a great project."

Masiello jokes, "Then you'll come back and say, you told me two weeks ago. But it'll get done." And he says he'll bet on it.

Bass Pro Just Weeks Away, According to Company

Funny, I just had a interview for an urban planning position with the City of Auburn (pop. 28,000+) and they just opened a huge Bass Pro with little or no complications.

So when they asked me if I had any questions, I said sure...

How come this town is running a budget surplus?

How have you managed to keep your industrial base?

How did it become to progressive compared to WNY? (Afterall, they have a city manager, someone trained to run a municipality and avoid the pitfalls of politics while maing decisions based on what's best for the city, not the employees and them selves)

And how did the Bass Pro deal come together so smoothly with not nearly as mnay people in the couty or region as Erie County?

To which they all laughed!!!!!!!!!

Like I do everytime I read the snooze or what the snooze. Joke after joke after joke.......

A great musician penned the most appropriate lyric for the city of buffalo......"I have never failed to fail"