The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Yes, there's some of each...just wanting to know if anyone else agrees.

The Good

Kyle Williams - I've picked on him a lot the last 2 seasons, but he's been great. The run defense as a whole, I think, has performed admirably--especially considering how they've been marooned on the field--and a lot of it is due to Williams' play. I've watched all 4 games 3 times now, and virtually every time the D stuffs a running play, it's either Williams himself or someone else plugging a gap that Williams creates by getting a good push. I really think the run D has a chance to be good this year.

Paul Posluszny - Another guy I've picked on, and while he's not where he needs to be yet, he's getting there. Playing much faster, much more agressive, and overall being around the ball more often. He still makes mistakes in coverage, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's not exactly suited to be covering a slot receiver (thanks Perry). Overall I feel like he'll be another defensive strength for the team.

The Bad

Andy Levitre - Forget the infamous "pushed into Edwards' face" incident against Tennessee, the guy is lost out there. Against Pittsburgh, I'm watching Rhodes bounce outside on a running play, and Levitre pulls outside Walker as the lead blocker. For some unkown reason, he completely ignores the upfield defenders and runs perpendicular to the sideline, choosing to block nobody. I'm not saying he won't eventually be good, but right now, he's a liability.

Derek Schouman - Speaking of liabilities, this guy is utterly useless. He can't block a soul, can't run a pass route, and seems not to have the first clue regarding his assignment on any given play. I can't believe that he's even going to make the team, let alone start.

Langston Walker - He's been adequate at best in pass protection, but inexplicably bad in run blocking. There's no point in having a 366 lb. tackle if he can't drive defenders off of the line of scrimmage--and so far, he's completely unable to do so--since he's too big and slow to lead block on tosses, sweeps, and counters. I know Peters was unpopular, but the difference in run blocking on the left side is noticable, to say the least.

The Ugly

Trent Edwards - Might as well start here. He's bad. Really bad. He looks like the post-San Diego-game Trent of 2008-09, which is NOT good. I like the guy, and I think there are physical and mental tools for the game there, but he has zero confidence in himself (and probably the system) right now, and he's playing like it. He's inaccurate, he looks confused and scared, and--worst of all--seems completely incapable of directing the offense. The situation, of course, is doubly bad considering that there is no capable backup behing him.

Goeff Hangartner - Not much to say here. The entire O-line looks brutal (including Eric Wood, but at least you can tell that his mistakes are ones in which he's struggling to pick up his assignment...when he has locked onto a defender he's been great). As R. Lee Irmy would say: "Nothing but disorganized, grabasstic pieces of amphibian s**t". He seems to suffer from Fowler's disease, which causes him to stand behind the teammate possessing the ball rather than blocking a defender, and he somehow never has everyone on the same page out there. It's a Chinese fire drill, and I put the blame on him.

The Secondary - I don't know if it's the scheme or the players, but why can't anyone cover a WR? McKelvin's made some decent plays in coverage, but for every time he's made a play, he's been beaten badly on another. Now I realize that such is life for a young CB, but what's Terrence McGee's excuse for getting beaten by Mewelde Moore, a 3rd string RB? How can McGee allow the WR to catch a ball beyond the first-down marker in front of him? Is that really the defensive scheme, just let him have the first down? I have a hard time believing that.

Ok, that's what I've got for now, anybody want to add/delete/append? Would love some feedback...