Corruption of boxing leads to funny youtube video

justnzane

On HBO saturday, Paulie Malignaggi fought Juan Diaz in Diaz's hometown of Houston. By most accounts including my own, the fight was very even or slightly dominated by Malignaggi. Well the hometown judges did Malinaggi injustice by scoring the fight 115-113, 116-112, and the worst one 118-110. So, it leads to this tirade (NSFW): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnhWoFXgr0

Seriously this shows how bad politics are in boxing, when the fight was very even.

Max Kellerman is a worthless douche.

Now, moving on...

I did not see this fight, so I can't speak to the scoring here. But one of the things about scoring boxing is, in a some close fights, many rounds are essentially even. But the scoring system usually forces a judge to give every round to one of the fighters. So, if one judge likes an aggressive fighter, he may be giving the close rounds to fighter A. If another judge appreciates the skill of a defensive counter puncher (and thinks the fight is being dictated by that boxer's style) he may give the same rounds to fighter B. So you can have some pretty dramatic differences in score in a very close fight.

With that said, I have seen some pretty indefensible scoring and decisions in my time.

Max Kellerman is a worthless douche.

Now, moving on...

I did not see this fight, so I can't speak to the scoring here. But one of the things about scoring boxing is, in a some close fights, many rounds are essentially even. But the scoring system usually forces a judge to give every round to one of the fighters. So, if one judge likes an aggressive fighter, he may be giving the close rounds to fighter A. If another judge appreciates the skill of a defensive counter puncher (and thinks the fight is being dictated by that boxer's style) he may give the same rounds to fighter B. So you can have some pretty dramatic differences in score in a very close fight.

With that said, I have seen some pretty indefensible scoring and decisions in my time.

i agree and the 115-113 and even the 116-112 can be defended, but the 118-110 was as shady as it gets. Diaz left eye had two cuts officially one by punch and another by an accidental butt. But that second cut came during a round where it looked like no head to head contact was apparent. Diaz looked like he took much more abuse in the fight. Really Malinaggi is a punkass, but the outburst is priceless, imo.