Broadcast commentators - shutup already!

I'm usually one of the first to defend the broadcast booth announcers, since it seems it doesn't matter who you mention, somebody on this board will hate them. But for God's sake, Michaels and Collinsworth seemed to forget there was actually a contest going on, and particularly in the second half, virtually ignored the action on the field - not describing plays, naming names, etc. There was a penalty on the Titans int he 4th quarter that I still don't know what the call was. It put the Titans at 3rd(?) and 28. Not a peep about the penalty.

Before I put too much blame on Michaels and Collinsworth, I have to keep in mind it's the producers who ultimately script the show and Michael and CC are just hired hands. But I think there's too much emphasis on the sideshow (network booth "celebrities")and not enough on the main attraction (THE GAME!).

I thought the whole Michael Vick conversation with Dungy was never going to end. Can we focus here fellas? I'd almost rather hear the broken record story about Marcvus Patton's linebacker mother for the 100th time. Sheesh.

Canton is temporarily populated by a slew of hall of fame NFL players, I sure many with entertaining anecdotes, and all you can give us is have a damage-control pity party for "converted animal rights activist" Michael Vick? Where's Art Donovan when you need him?

When Reggie Corner intercepts a pass, how about mentioning that Fawcett Stadium, site of the evening's game , was a familiar venue for Reggie, being his high school home stadium. I would have very much like to hear about some of the newcomers playing for their football lives.

I just hope this exhibition isn't an indication of how NBC will handle their Sunday Night games or I'll be wearing out the "mute" button on my remote.

I'm usually one of the first to defend the broadcast booth announcers, since it seems it doesn't matter who you mention, somebody on this board will hate them. But for God's sake, Michaels and Collinsworth seemed to forget there was actually a contest going on, and particularly in the second half, virtually ignored the action on the field - not describing plays, naming names, etc. There was a penalty on the Titans int he 4th quarter that I still don't know what the call was. It put the Titans at 3rd(?) and 28. Not a peep about the penalty.

Before I put too much blame on Michaels and Collinsworth, I have to keep in mind it's the producers who ultimately script the show and Michael and CC are just hired hands. But I think there's too much emphasis on the sideshow (network booth "celebrities")and not enough on the main attraction (THE GAME!).

I thought the whole Michael Vick conversation with Dungy was never going to end. Can we focus here fellas? I'd almost rather hear the broken record story about Marcvus Patton's linebacker mother for the 100th time. Sheesh.

Canton is temporarily populated by a slew of hall of fame NFL players, I sure many with entertaining anecdotes, and all you can give us is have a damage-control pity party for "converted animal rights activist" Michael Vick? Where's Art Donovan when you need him?

When Reggie Corner intercepts a pass, how about mentioning that Fawcett Stadium, site of the evening's game , was a familiar venue for Reggie, being his high school home stadium. I would have very much like to hear about some of the newcomers playing for their football lives.

I just hope this exhibition isn't an indication of how NBC will handle their Sunday Night games or I'll be wearing out the "mute" button on my remote.

The HOF game is a bit of a festival, a venue to talk about the past, and speculate.

The only announcers that talk at length about this or that camp players are the local folks - I didn't expect Michaels and Collinsworth to spend much time on them other then generalities. Why would they? And they certainly didn't turn it into a TO/Madden fest. ESPN would have likely whipped out a Bruschi performance. The halftime Madden retrospective was fine with me.

They did talk about the stadium IIRC.

I agree, the chatting with Dungy was lengthy, and I thought - fawning.

It was like they started the 2nd half and said "Bah, screw it, its pre-season, this game doesn't matter. Let's talk about other stuff."

Well, the 1st preseason game...doesn't matter much. Nor do much others after that, except to fans in a particular city. And it was all about the HOF hoopla.

A national audience doesn't give a rat's patoot about the Bills' 4th safety spot or the Titan's 3rd possible rb. Would you have

even watched this game if it was the Rams vs. B'gals, and if so, then complained about the lack of play-by-play in the 2nd half? :lol:

Well, the 1st preseason game...doesn't matter much. Nor do much others after that, except to fans in a particular city. And it was all about the HOF hoopla.

A national audience doesn't give a rat's patoot about the Bills' 4th safety spot or the Titan's 3rd possible rb. Would you have

even watched this game if it was the Rams vs. B'gals, and if so, then complained about the lack of play-by-play in the 2nd half? :lol:

I understand what you're saying and agree to an extent.

I didn't think they necessarily had to give in-depth analysis of Bill's camp fodder, but there could have been more topical (e.g. Hall of Fame related stuff) discussion, or actual attention to the game being played, than the liberal flavored attempt to publicly rehabilitate Michael Vick's character with standup guy and ex-coach, Tony Dungy, acting as his designated apologist.

You want to talk about Mike Vick? - Bring him in the booth then. Give us a chance to judge how remorseful he is with his words and body language. I doubt it would happen for the same reason that defense attorney's often don't let their client take the stand. Vick is a scumbag. He's had an opportunity that most of here can only dream of, and he compromises it by being involved in an "appalling", low-brow, loser activity that should be reserved for the MD 20/20 set, not a professional making millions.

I thought this was the worst game (from the commentators) I'd ever seen. Yes, the action on the field seemed to get in the way of all the anecdotes. Michaels seemed almost pissed as he kept watching the monitors and trying to ignore the banter from Collingsworth and various guests. I really hope the MNF broadcast team remembers that there's actually a game being played on the field once the real bullets start flying...

I thought this was the worst game (from the commentators) I'd ever seen. Yes, the action on the field seemed to get in the way of all the anecdotes. Michaels seemed almost pissed as he kept watching the monitors and trying to ignore the banter from Collingsworth and various guests. I really hope the MNF broadcast team remembers that there's actually a game being played on the field once the real bullets start flying...

Ever? :thumbsup:

I didn't think they necessarily had to give in-depth analysis of Bill's camp fodder, but there could have been more topical (e.g. Hall of Fame related stuff) discussion, or actual attention to the game being played, than the liberal flavored attempt to publicly rehabilitate Michael Vick's character with standup guy and ex-coach, Tony Dungy, acting as his designated apologist.

You want to talk about Mike Vick? - Bring him in the booth then. Give us a chance to judge how remorseful he is with his words and body language. I doubt it would happen for the same reason that defense attorney's often don't let their client take the stand. Vick is a scumbag. He's had an opportunity that most of here can only dream of, and he compromises it by being involved in an "appalling", low-brow, loser activity that should be reserved for the MD 20/20 set, not a professional making millions.

You conveniently omitted my comments about Dungy/Vick when you quoted my post...

than the liberal flavored attempt to publicly rehabilitate Michael Vick's character with standup guy and ex-coach, Tony Dungy, acting as his designated apologist.

FYI, Dungy is a Republican and a religious conservative. He has spoken out against abortion to church groups on several occasions. He has spoken out against homosexuality several times. He is a "family values" conservative (as if liberals don't have family values). So I'm not sure what you mean by "liberal flavored."

The only thing remotely liberal about him is that he did support Obama in the last election.

I agree with you that the Dungy segment was overlong and propagandistic. I like your suggestion that rather than interview Vick's apologist, that the producers ought to have brought Vick himself on to allow viewers to judge for themselves.

Yes the HOF Game broadcast is a different creature partly due to the need to interview the inductees and partly due to the fact that it's the first exhibition game. That the broadcasters annoyed us was inevitable. The Dungy segment was just another "bonus."

The talking always happens during pre-season. The producers realize that for many people, they don't care that much about the action, so they find other ways to draw them in.

It won't be nearly as bad in the regular season.

even watched this game if it was the Rams vs. B'gals, and if so, then complained about the lack of play-by-play in the 2nd half? :thumbsup:

I get that it doesn't matter much, but it was to an extreme. If all you had was the audio, I'm not sure you would have realized there was a game going on. They could have at least interrupted their conversation with an occasional interjection about the game.

FYI, Dungy is a Republican and a religious conservative. He has spoken out against abortion to church groups on several occasions. He has spoken out against homosexuality several times. He is a "family values" conservative (as if liberals don't have family values). So I'm not sure what you mean by "liberal flavored."

The only thing remotely liberal about him is that he did support Obama in the last election.

I agree with you that the Dungy segment was overlong and propagandistic. I like your suggestion that rather than interview Vick's apologist, that the producers ought to have brought Vick himself on to allow viewers to judge for themselves.

Yes the HOF Game broadcast is a different creature partly due to the need to interview the inductees and partly due to the fact that it's the first exhibition game. That the broadcasters annoyed us was inevitable. The Dungy segment was just another "bonus."

My god - what is this, some holiday where dummys are let out for a day? Another need for remedial reading help.

"liberal flavored" - meaning a real bleeding heart, poor Mike Vick diatribe. Used to decscribe those who feel it's their duty to champion the cause of the downtrodden (translation - inferior). The same kind of thinking that has NY State SSI funds providing food stamps, monthy rent and, daily methedone treatment to heroin addicts to help them get help with their "disability".

WTF does Tony Dungy's conservative background have to do with anything? I like Dungy. I certainly wasn't commenting on him at all. The topic was the amount of sympathy and "understanding" were supposed to heap upon Mike Vick.

I think you saw the word "liberal" and went nuts, didn't you Janeane Garofalo. Don't think - react. That's the battlecry.

Newsflash: it was a word in English usage long before it came to describe academic elitists who can't see the trees for the forest or ugly college chicks who try to define their identity through supposed intellect and diplomas.

Let me educate you a little. Conservative and Republican are not interchangeable. Democrat and liberal are not interchangeable words. Dungy's poltical affiliation, life philosophy, and religious faith are of no interest to me, nor do I have any inkling of where he stands personally. As stated, he's generally seen as a real standup guy, regardless of any personal beliefs.

So go sit the Fk down Janeane.

than the liberal flavored attempt to publicly rehabilitate Michael Vick's character with standup guy and ex-coach, Tony Dungy, acting as his designated apologist.

Liberals are dead set against Vick as reflected in the position of groups like PETA who flat out want to see Vick barred from letting the free market determine whether they want to root for Vick or not.

Do you support the free-market position of letting Vick back into the league or instead support the code pinkish liberal stand of group like PETA?

The problem here is that reality is just a different thing than the simple left vs. right or liberal vs. conservative views that the simple minds who run the media want to cram their viewers into.

Al Michaels is declining and was annoying last night...how long are you going to live off of "Do you believe in miracles?"

Collinsworth? please... oh yes, this is NBC, I forgot...the channel with a friggin peacock for a logo... no big deal, that was the first and last Sunday night game I'll be watching.

:thumbsup: