Claytons Mailbag

One of the most intriguing training camp stories this summer is the effect of Terrell Owens on the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills gambled on Owens because he can open up things for fellow receiver Lee Evans and quarterback Trent Edwards. Last season, defenses doubled Evans and took away the running game, and the offense couldn't do anything.

Grant from Buffalo, N.Y., wonders whether the Bills are spending so much time on the no-huddle offense "because the entire offensive line is being restructured."

I think it's an interesting concept. During the first week of training camp, the Bills' offense didn't have one huddle on a play. Of course, that's probably good for Edwards, because he won't have to listen to Owens complaining about not getting the ball.

I think the decision to go no-huddle was more because of Edwards' style of quarterbacking. He's a pocket passer who makes quick decisions. Watching this offense develop is one of the most interesting things this summer.

You might not see a lot of the offense during the Hall of Fame game between the Tennessee Titans and the Bills on Sunday, because Buffalo's first-string offense won't be on the field for more than a series or two. But the early reviews are encouraging.

Q: Do you think that the Bills can make the playoffs now that they have T.O.? I am the Bills' biggest fan and followed them through all their heartbreaks. Do you think coach Dick Jauron is too soft, and should we try to get Bill Cowher next year?

From Ron in Charlotte, N.C.

A: The best hope for the Bills is to make a wild-card run behind the New England Patriots. They have a chance. T.O. gives them the threat to improve their offense by an average of 4.0 points per game. Despite the Bills' tough schedule, I still believe they can improve, because I don't see them going 0-6 in the AFC East as they did last year. If they can go 3-3 in the division, they have a chance for nine wins. I don't think Jauron is too soft. Years ago, he had a 13-win season as coach of the Chicago Bears. So much of his problem is related to the talent of the team around him. Face it. The Bills can't afford a $7 million-a-year coach such as Cowher. If Jauron can make the playoffs, I think he will be safe, and we can renew the discussion about Jauron next year.