So glad we didn't take Pettigrew

IWith this pick, the Bills are going to have a DL consisting of an undersized rookie who couldn't play the run in college, Schobel (can't play the run) and Kyle Williams (classic overachiever who gets pushed around in the running game). Stroud is a beast but can't do it on his own. Combine that with an undersized LB core, and I will confidently pick the Bills to finish in the bottom 5 in th NFL in run D.

Maybin had 21 tackles for losses last season, evidently capable of getting into a Big 10 backfield.

Schobel has proven more effective against the run in past few seasons.

Poz and Kawika are both 6-1 and about 240 pounds, not exactly undersized.

Bills D, even with Schobel out, finished 22nd against run last year. Not top 10, but not bottom 5.

But I'll take that bet if you're offering ...

jw

Maybin had 21 tackles for losses last season, evidently capable of getting into a Big 10 backfield.

Bills D, even with Schobel out, finished 22nd against run last year. Not top 10, but not bottom 5.

jw

Well - save IW, OSU, WI, the rest - seemed to use spread offenses often. Just my impression.

I'll wait and see how Maybin does with a TE line blocking, and a blocker in the backfield.

jw

Tackles for loss are more a result of quickness and pursuit, which is Maybin's strength. As for his ability to stand up offensive linemen and tight ends and flat out stuff the run, he has not shown that ability. I would argue the Bills 22nd ranking would have been worse if Schobel had played more. Kelsay and Denney are both better at playing the run than he is.

:wallbash:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to rub it in the faces of all those who wanted to draft Pettigrew in the first round, and especially the ones who wanted to do so at #11. I knew there was no chance in heck of the Bills drafting a TE in the first two rounds...as did anyone else with an ounce of football knowledge, so nah nah nah nah =p.

Anyway, just look at the Lions. They got him late in the round so at a much better value, and the fans are so chagrined by it that they are booing the guy on stage. Even Lions fans understand that you don't draft TEs until all your important positions are filled. Pettigrew is a much better value to the Lions than to any other team, but I still think they should have addressed other needs, and I understand the Lions fans sentiment over this pick.

Anyway thanks for reading this pointless thread.

:wallbash::wallbash:

I'm sorry but I don't understand this kind of thinking. Aren't we all, or at least most of us, supposed to be fans of the same team? It's pretty disappointing that there is really very little unity amongst us here. Debating a topic is one thing but gloating when someone is proven wrong for having an opinion is, well, childish. Thanking people for reading a pointless thread is the icing on the cake.

I'm just going to offer you a suggestion. Delete this whole thread and let people forget that you wrote this. I've deleted one or two posts myself due to the content.

:devil:

I am not a fond of Pettigrew in the first and I am glad we got Nelson but I agree that there is really no need to be nasty about it. Everyone is entitled to his opinion and if we all agreed all of the time the board would be no fun at all. Nelson was my favorite TE in the draft I never thought he would be there in round 4. I knew they could not go TE early. I thought they would have to settle for Pascoe or Gronkowski n the 5th or 6th.