What 2nd year players will become contributors?

Every year I get my hopes up for a good draft, but I pretty much forget about last year's draft and who might still emerge from it. Yet I think other than the first two picks from this year, the later picks from last year's draft are more likely to have an impact than later picks this year. So I am going to put on my rose colored glasses to take another look at last year's draft class and who I think might get significant playing time for Bills in 2009:

Leodis McKelvin - Of course, we all expect it. I sort of doubt that he will be a major upgrade from last year though (not a slight to Leodis, I just liked Jabari).

Derek Fine - Unless the Bills draft a TE in the first round or sign a major free agent, you have to figure that Derek is going to compete for the starting job and I think he wins it with the advantage he has of being a second year player. I think there is a reasonable chance he will be a good, solid player.

Demetrius Bell - The opening is there at left guard for someone to step in and become a starter. Last year I think the book on him at draft time was that he was athletic, but needed work. Kyle Williams statement would seem to indicate there is some potential.

Reggie Corner - He should compete with Youboty and Florence for time as a nickel or dime back.

Steve Johnson - I think one of the mistakes that was made last year was that when Josh Reed went down, James Hardy, was put in. Hardy just wasn't ready. I think Steve Johnson was more NFL ready. Maybe Hardy someday becomes the better player, but I figure Johnson is their fourth best receiver and if there is an injury to Reed, Evans or Owens, he should get the playing time and will do well.

Chris Ellis - Defensive lineman don't do particularly well in their first year. It is way too early to give up on Chris Ellis. He might surprise some people. If the Bills don't draft a defensive end in the first two rounds, he will have a chance.

Every year I get my hopes up for a good draft, but I pretty much forget about last year's draft and who might still emerge from it. Yet I think other than the first two picks from this year, the later picks from last year's draft are more likely to have an impact than later picks this year. So I am going to put on my rose colored glasses to take another look at last year's draft class and who I think might get significant playing time for Bills in 2009:

Leodis McKelvin - Of course, we all expect it. I sort of doubt that he will be a major upgrade from last year though (not a slight to Leodis, I just liked Jabari).

Derek Fine - Unless the Bills draft a TE in the first round or sign a major free agent, you have to figure that Derek is going to compete for the starting job and I think he wins it with the advantage he has of being a second year player. I think there is a reasonable chance he will be a good, solid player.

Demetrius Bell - The opening is there at left guard for someone to step in and become a starter. Last year I think the book on him at draft time was that he was athletic, but needed work. Kyle Williams statement would seem to indicate there is some potential.

Reggie Corner - He should compete with Youboty and Florence for time as a nickel or dime back.

Steve Johnson - I think one of the mistakes that was made last year was that when Josh Reed went down, James Hardy, was put in. Hardy just wasn't ready. I think Steve Johnson was more NFL ready. Maybe Hardy someday becomes the better player, but I figure Johnson is their fourth best receiver and if there is an injury to Reed, Evans or Owens, he should get the playing time and will do well.

Chris Ellis - Defensive lineman don't do particularly well in their first year. It is way too early to give up on Chris Ellis. He might surprise some people. If the Bills don't draft a defensive end in the first two rounds, he will have a chance.

This is kind of a 'meh' group.

1 11 (11) Leodis McKelvin CB Troy University

2 10 (41) James Hardy WR Indiana

3 9 (72) Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

4 15 (114) Reggie Corner DB Akron - I expect him to make the fourth corner spot.

4* 33 (132) Derek Fine TE Kansas - Even if Buffalo drafts a TE high in the draft he will still be on the team.

5 12 (147) Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State - Since he's coming back from an ACL injury he might be practice squaded. It really depends on the linebackers the Bills draft this year. They have: Jon Corto, John DiGiorgio, Vince Hall, Marcus Buggs, Paul Posluszny, Blake Costanzo and Kawika Mitchell.

6 13 (179) Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State - I think he gets replaced by a rookie draft pick this year. He'll stay on til ML returns but then I expect him to be cut.

7 12 (219) Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State - Assuming JP is re-signed there's a chance he could make the RT spot or possibly move into the LG spot but I doubt it. Anyhoo, he makes the team again this year.

7 17 (224) Steve Johnson WR Kentucky - Makes the team could step up big this year.

7* 44 (251) Kennard Cox DB Pittsburgh

* - Compensatory pick