Maybin

Walleye

So why would I not want the Bills to select him with the #11 pick? Maybin is very young and needs a lot of work. Aside from just one season of experience as a starter, he is just three years removed from high school. He has a lean frame and must put on weight to reach his potential. His impact as a rookie may be limited to pass rushing situations, because he lacks the strength and power to hold up at the point of attack against the run.

He could have used another year in college, if only to gain more weight at a natural pace. His lean frame could limit him as a rookie and his team may need to have some patience for him to develop into an all around player. His athleticism and pass rush ability should translate early, but he will be a situational player.

Maybin does not have the ability to be a run stopping OLB and would struggle dropping into pass coverage. Thus, he is a one dimensional player. Rush the passer or watch from the sidelines.

Aaron Maybin is 20 years old and has just 11 college starts on his resume. He could wind up being a Pro Bowl player, say in 2012 as he has so much untapped potential.

I just don't feel that the Buffalo Bills are in a position to select a player based primarily on "potential". The Bills can't afford to use high draft choices on projects. When you are a perennial playoff team, like the Steelers, Patriots or Colts, you can select a player like Aaron Maybin and be patient. The Buffalo Bills are not in that position. They need an every down player at SLB, a starting TE as well as depth on both lines and at SS.

Buffalo has selected underage players in the past and the results have not been stellar. Marshawn Lynch, Ko Simpson, James Hardy, John McCargo and Donte Whitner. All but McCargo have had run ins with the law, something that could be attributed to maturity. That isn't to say that Maybin would fall into that category, but maybe the Bills will think twice before handing out a ton of cash to a player who left college early.

The one thing about Maybin is that, despite the other PSU guys who got kicked off the team/suspended, he has been known as an all-round character guy. No red flags, no questionable friends. As far as the Pro-Bowl goes, what player at Defensive End could they draft that would wind up to you as a pro bowler in 2009?

I don't think 2012 is fair - for Maybin, if he played LB he could make it with luck in 2010 or 2011.

The one thing about Maybin is that, despite the other PSU guys who got kicked off the team/suspended, he has been known as an all-round character guy. No red flags, no questionable friends. As far as the Pro-Bowl goes, what player at Defensive End could they draft that would wind up to you as a pro bowler in 2009?

I don't think 2012 is fair - for Maybin, if he played LB he could make it with luck in 2010 or 2011.

That's just it though...Can he play LB? While the body-type may fit, some Scouts don't believe the ability does...Even a 3-4 LB has to cover some time...Plus, I have not seen much film on Maybin admittedly, but just yesterday I heard the guys on The NFL Network say he can't play the Run at all right now...I'm sure he can get better at it, but how much better?

If The Bills are going to Draft a Project DE/Pass Rusher at #11 I'd prefer Ayers...He's already the prototypical size and has a ton of raw ability...He's also pretty decent vs. The Run...If they want a LB I'd prefer Cushing, though I think #11 is too high for him...

We'll see soon enough... :devil:

That's just it though...Can he play LB? While the body-type may fit, some Scouts don't believe the ability does...Even a 3-4 LB has to cover some time...Plus, I have not seen much film on Maybin admittedly, but just yesterday I heard the guys on The NFL Network say he can't play the Run at all right now...I'm sure he can get better at it, but how much better?

If The Bills are going to Draft a Project DE/Pass Rusher at #11 I'd prefer Ayers...He's already the prototypical size and has a ton of raw ability...He's also pretty decent vs. The Run...If they want a LB I'd prefer Cushing, though I think #11 is too high for him...

We'll see soon enough... :devil:

;)

Good points - but for me, the thing with Maybin is most scouts say that you can make him what you want him to be - he can hold the weight as a DE, he can play a hybrid DE/OLB, he can be a great Will or Sam OLB. I think he's limited the first year a little, but ultimately this is another Andre Carter, which isn't too shabby.

I think the Bills know they have to win this year. That's why I believe they may consider riding out the Peters situation with the hope of signing him before camp, and they may even consider giving up their first round pick next year to move back into the first this year.

They will go with a player at #11 that can help them right away.....I think if you are looking at players that will help this team win right away I think the short list is as follows(assuming J. Smith, Monroe, Curry are all gone) >>>>>

FIRST ROUND

Robert Ayers (LDE)

Michael Oher (LG)

Andre Smith (LG)

Brandon Pettigrew

BJ Raji (DT)

SECOND ROUND

Best available interior lineman

Best available linebacker

I think the pick is Ayers if they don't trade Peters. If they trade Peters I think they go Oher or Smith and try to get Ayers with the other first round pick acquired in trade.