Should I Lock Out Tyson Jackson?

Should the Bills Lock Out Tyson Jackson in RD1?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Lock Out DE Tyson Jackson in RD1?

• Yes
    • No

DraftTek Round 1 Page currently lists the Bills' choice as Defensive End Tyson Jackson out of LSU.

As the Bills' Correspondent, I want to know if you'd like to see who we'd take if we put a Lock Out on Jackson. Draft Countdown lists Jackson's strengths and weaknesses below. Do the weaknesses indicate to you that Jackson wouldn't be what the Bills are looking for (high-motor, quick, edge rushing, good pass rushing, sack-meister)?

Strengths:

Outstanding size and bulk...Has a big frame with long arms and large hands...Powerful with excellent strength...Tough and physical...Good athleticism...Quick with a burst...Uses his hands well...Can really hold his ground...Terrific bull rusher...Offers a lot of versatility...Has a lot of experience against elite competition... Hard worker ... Team leader.

Weaknesses:

Average timed speed...Motor is inconsistent...Questionable instincts and awareness...Needs to do a better job of shedding blocks...Doesn't change directions well...Has some trouble in space...Not a threat off the edge...Just an average pass rusher and won't rack up a lot of sacks.

Astro

I guess I'm in the minority here Astro. I would encourage everyone to watch this 1:39 before voting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5MeTrQ124Q

It's a handful of plays against Florida and South Carolina. I watched him play once this year. I don't agree with his stated negatives which you included. I think he changes directions very well. In addition I've read other scouting reports that say that his instincts and awareness are fine.

I think the negatives come from him not being a Jevon Kearse, Simeon Rice type cat-like pass rusher. No he's not the stereotypical speed predator. He's more like a grizzly bear...destroying everything in his path.

More than any player I've seen since, he reminds me of Reggie White. He's about the same size, between 6'4" and 6'5" and 300 lbs. He also reminds me of an athletic Joe Klecko. Jackson can forklift blocker into the quarterback. When he lowers his shoulder to begin his arc towards the quarterback he's almost impossible to divert. He's a powerful wrecking ball of a player.

I think it's laughable that he's being typecast as a "5 technique end" just because he projects to a Richard Seymour type, 3-4 end. That may be his best position but a truly great football player can play in more than one system.

Reggie White played in a 4-3. So did Klecko. Jackson apparently "only" runs the 40 in 5 seconds but he is an inexorable force. I would hate to see the Bills disqualify him for style reasons. My top pure DEs are Robert Ayers and Tyson Jackson and I think both are way ahead of Michael Johnson. Of the tweeners, I like Everette Brown.

I guess I'm in the minority here Astro. I would encourage everyone to watch this 1:39 before voting.

It's a handful of plays against Florida and South Carolina. I watched him play once this year. I don't agree with his stated negatives which you included. I think he changes directions very well. In addition I've read other scouting reports that say that his instincts and awareness are fine.

I think the negatives come from him not being a Jevon Kearse, Simeon Rice type cat-like pass rusher. No he's not the stereotypical speed predator. He's more like a grizzly bear...destroying everything in his path.

More than any player I've seen since, he reminds me of Reggie White. He's about the same size, between 6'4" and 6'5" and 300 lbs. He also reminds me of an athletic Joe Klecko. Jackson can forklift blocker into the quarterback. When he lowers his shoulder to begin his arc towards the quarterback he's almost impossible to divert. He's a powerful wrecking ball of a player.

I think it's laughable that he's being typecast as a "5 technique end" just because he projects to a Richard Seymour type, 3-4 end. That may be his best position but a truly great football player can play in more than one system.

Reggie White played in a 4-3. So did Klecko. Jackson apparently "only" runs the 40 in 5 seconds but he is an inexorable force. I would hate to see the Bills disqualify him for style reasons. My top pure DEs are Robert Ayers and Tyson Jackson and I think both are way ahead of Michael Johnson. Of the tweeners, I like Everette Brown.

Jackson is who the bills should draft - someone big enough and strong enough to actually play the DL in the NFL.

not some midget DE they try to hide in coverage

the Bills already have a bunch of "speed" rushers that can't get to the QB and get destroyed againt the run

Jackson is who the bills should draft - someone big enough and strong enough to actually play the DL in the NFL.

the Bills already have a bunch of "speed" rushers that can't get to the QB and get destroyed againt the run

Kelsay is good against the run. Our problem is that we DON'T have a speed rusher outside of Schobel.

Kelsay is good against the run. Our problem is that we DON'T have a speed rusher outside of Schobel.

I don't agree at all that Kelsay is good against the run. Besides being small and easily moved, he continuously loses outside containment, particularly on misdirection.

Tyson Jackson is not an elite sackmaster...or at least he only had 19.5 sacks in college. On passing downs though, the quarterback will absolutely know that if he holds the ball too long that Jackson will find him. He's like a train coming down the tracks. And he'll be wreaking havoc on most plays.

I agree that I'd like to have an elite pass rusher. I think Ayers will become one. I like Everette Brown too. But Jackson is the 3rd guy I take at #11.

I don't agree at all that Kelsay is good against the run. Besides being small and easily moved, he continuously loses outside containment, particularly on misdirection.

Tyson Jackson is not an elite sackmaster...or at least he only had 19.5 sacks in college. On passing downs though, the quarterback will absolutely know that if he holds the ball too long that Jackson will find him. He's like a train coming down the tracks. And he'll be wreaking havoc on most plays.

I agree that I'd like to have an elite pass rusher. I think Ayers will become one. I like Everette Brown too. But Jackson is the 3rd guy I take at #11.

Comment: Kelsay is a five-year veteran that has been extremely consistent and durable defender for the Bills. He has average size, good athleticism and plays with a high motor. He is a tough, competitive player who is a sound technician. He has great initial quickness to close ground and get into blockers early in the play. He reads and reacts quickly as well as using his hands effectively to maintain leverage in his gap responsibility. He anticipates well and can gain an advantage as a pass-rusher on long-yardage situations. Kelsay isn't a powerful player, but he has enough strength and uses effective pad level to anchor well versus the run. He is a fluid athlete who uses excellent lateral quickness and agility to chase down plays from the backside. He runs well and shows good range to stay active to the pile. He has a variety of pass-rush moves and counters, but he doesn't reset well if engaged early in the play. He is more of a finesse player than a power defender who is best when on the move. Kelsay continues to be a productive player with effort, instincts, technique and quickness.

He is good vs the run, and has had quite a few stuffs over his career. Granted, he isn't a good pass rusher, but his run defense isn't a problem.

I watched the video and officially i am calling him a bust. Actually as far as highlite videos go that was one of the weakest ones i've ever seen. I'm not going to say the guy can't play but what a poor sample of plays. He was late with pressure a couple of times, got a coverage sack, took a couple of bad angles at the qb, got another sack when the guard failed to pick him up, and missed a tackle. He might be a fine player but I don't think he fits our needs (passrusher). The bust thing, was just a joke.

He is too big to play 4-3 DE. I hate our style of D, but we have to stick with it. We can't implement some 3-4 D into our finesse 4-3 D. We must strictly stay at our style of 4-3. If we were a 3-4, then we should look at him, but we're not.

I watched the video and officially i am calling him a bust. Actually as far as highlite videos go that was one of the weakest ones i've ever seen. I'm not going to say the guy can't play but what a poor sample of plays. He was late with pressure a couple of times, got a coverage sack, took a couple of bad angles at the qb, got another sack when the guard failed to pick him up, and missed a tackle. He might be a fine player but I don't think he fits our needs (passrusher). The bust thing, was just a joke.

Those weren't really highlights. DraftParty makes many videos of players in the 2009 draft. He watches the game, and compiles plays were you could see the player's style of play. They're more like clips rather than highlights.

I like Jackson but Reggie White ? Joe Klecko ?, I don't think so, maybe Shaun Ellis, which wouldn't be bad