T.O. Vs Evans, it'll never happen

whycali

One of the first things I thought with the TO acquisition is that Hardy and Steve Johnson are going to just follow Owens around like puppies and watch every step. This interview with Hardy confirms it.

He says he won't be able to practice fully to the end of camp, and probably won't play full go until the last pre-season game. It's a pretty good interview, although he seems to blame politics on the team (meaning the veteran players ahead of him playing) for his slow start and not himself. He's pretty positive though. He seems like he is putting in the work.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/sports/local_sport...ew_200903082120

He is pretty down to earth, at least according to his responses. Hopefully he can take his experiences and continue to improve and help the team.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is pretty down to earth, at least according to his responses. Hopefully he can take his experiences and continue to improve and help the team.

Down to earth? Is this the same guy that pulled a gun on his father after we drafted him?

I am fairly certain that the 4th receiver has job security. The odd man out in my mind is Roscoe Parrish. Who would you field as the 3rd wideout? Parrish or Josh Reed?

As I said earlier nobody in the league will double Evans with a future HOF wr on the other side.

Not even one nanosecond of hesitation on that: Reed.

Unless the Bills replace Parrish on punt returns, he stays on the team. But he is not going to see a lot of action as WR.

Evans was single covered both games with the Dolphins, and their CB was on him really tight. Evans is more of a guy who can burst 10-50 yards and get separation more than a guy who just gets separation through route running. He's a 1/3rd of the field type player who doesn't go over the middle. That makes him easy to defend. It's not so much double coverage, Steve Smith gets through it all the time, it's the difference between making the D play you rather than being predictable. Evans is predictable.

I don't think Johnson will play much with T.O, but he can be a good #3 in place of Reed if he steps us. If he can get 30 catches or so I consider that a good upgrade and I think he'll do better than that because of Reed's injury history. I think the guy who benefits the most is Reed who is great in soft coverage up the middle.

Now if Evans wasn't going to short-arm slants and play physical I would say he might see a huge improvement, but he's not a #1. Go watch Devery Henderson and you'll see Lee Evans, except Lee has much better hands is more reliable.

I didn't get to go over game tapes, so I really can't say if Evans was or wasn't double covered during every play of every game. And live coverage doesn't focus on the WR who isn't catching balls. So I base that opinion, rightly or wrongly, on what I saw during games and what sportscasters and sports journalists have said ad nauseum; Evans was double covered consistantly.

You don't think Evans is a #1. Fine. He is and has always been a deep route receiver, not an Andre Reed over-the-middle guy....that's Josh Reed's spot. I think we will see Evans have a better year because of TO.

Either way, I am done with the "Evans Is/Isn't a #1 WR".