iTunes giftcard algorithm hacked.

Tux of Borg

http://i.gizmodo.com/5167465/get-200-itune...ouchers-for-260

Get $200 iTunes Store Vouchers for $2.60

By Jesus Diaz

Stop being an ass and don't pirate songs and movies. Pirate money and get legal material! Chinese hackers have cracked the algorithm that generates the iTunes Store gift cards: You can get $200 for $2.60.

According to the blog of Outdustry—a music industry consultancy firm in China—the market is getting inundated with this pirate cards, with prices falling quickly. You can find $200 iTunes Music cards in Taobao for as low as $10, and the blog is reporting prices of $2.60. In fact, the prices are dropping dramatically as the number of vendors selling these cracked cards increase.

Nobody knows what this means for Apple yet. For sure, a change of the formula that generates the vouchers looks like a definitive possibility, but that won't solve the situation of legal cards already in the market.

What a nightmare... they can either lose millions on fake cards or piss off their customers and revoke all cards.

What a nightmare... they can either lose millions on fake cards or piss off their customers and revoke all cards.

Just this morning I looked at the two $10 cards left over from XMas that were sitting on my desk and thought, "hmph, I should spend those..."