Everette Brown

BeastMode54

There are an awful lot of qualities and variables that NFL college scouts have to consider when weighing the potential success a prospect can have once he reaches the pro level. Naturally there are the measurables as well as football skills and the intangible qualities like motivation, work ethic and leadership. But there can also be another factor that at times can be hard for a scout to keep out of the equation.

That factor is draft history.

A perfect example in this year’s class is Florida State DE/OLB Everette Brown. Widely considered a top 10 pick, Brown has impressive stats with 13.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss last season alone. But there is a history of Seminole pass rushers that’s difficult to ignore.

Cleveland took Kamerion Wimbley in 2006 with the 13th pick and his career to this point has been average at best.

Andre Wadsworth was the third pick in the draft in 1998 by Arizona and injuries and difficulty adjusting to the pro game led to a disappointing career.

Jamal Reynolds was the 10th pick in the draft in 2001 by Green Bay and was an unquestioned bust.

So as enticing as Brown’s abilities might be for a team in need of pass rush help, it’s hard to overlook Florida State’s recent history at the position.

“It does enter your thinking,” said Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak speaking generally. “Whether you want to admit that or not, you do think about it. Now what you do with it is another matter.”

I just took a look at Mike mayocks updates rankings for position and Brown isn't listed in the top 5 for either DE or OLB. I wonder why he fell so far?

I saw that. That was a surprise. On the contrary Mcshay just said on espn that he thinks he's gonna go 5th overall to the Browns. But I'm not a fan of either of these a$$ faces.