The Game has Passed Him By

paleo

We have all heard "the game has passed him by" in reference to a player, coach or GM, but it can apply to ownership, too, and Ralph is the proof of it. In the days before free agency, stadiums with a ton of luxury boxes and the runaway inflation of ticket prices, Wilson was content to make his millions in western New York and it was possible to field a competitive team. Since the very beginning (1960), I have invested thousands of dollars in the Bills through season tickets, team products, food and drink, etc.

I got my money's worth, even though it seemed like they lost two games for every win during their tenure. It was fun to watch the games, party in the parking lot and the rest of what went along with being a Bills fan. But then the overspending by the richest teams meant that the Bills could not keep many of their star players and could not afford to acquire the top free agents. The difference in team revenues grew wider and wider because of ticket and luxury box prices.

This isn't a knock on Wilson, who could have done a number of ugly things along the way, including moving or selling the team. It's the way the league has evolved. So now, after 48 years of supporting the Bills, I am struggling to have a vision of the preferred future for the team, and I cannot come up with one. With a diminishing population and corporate presence, Buffalo cannot financially support an NFL team in today's league, in a manner that would allow them to be financially (and talent) competitive.

Sure, the planets can line up and a small market team can have a Cinderella season. But can anyone paint a reasonable picture of how this team can be consistently competitive?

Sure, the planets can line up and a small market team can have a Cinderella season. But can anyone paint a reasonable picture of how this team can be consistently competitive?

There are plenty of TSW posters who've come to the realization that RW is the reason this franchise hasn't succeeded. He has a tendency to shed his most talented people, namely Saban, Knox, and Polian. None of those men were ever adequately replaced, and I suspect few successful front office types would ever want to work for RW.

It seems that RW is content to keep the front office intact as long as he can make some money. Talk of getting Modrak into the "inner circle" seems to confirm that no changes will be made, despite the same lineup in the front office since TD took over in 01.

If no significant changes are made this off-season, I think plenty of fans will see that RW isn't serious about winning football anymore.

We have all heard "the game has passed him by" in reference to a player, coach or GM, but it can apply to ownership, too, and Ralph is the proof of it. In the days before free agency, stadiums with a ton of luxury boxes and the runaway inflation of ticket prices, Wilson was content to make his millions in western New York and it was possible to field a competitive team. Since the very beginning (1960), I have invested thousands of dollars in the Bills through season tickets, team products, food and drink, etc.

I got my money's worth, even though it seemed like they lost two games for every win during their tenure. It was fun to watch the games, party in the parking lot and the rest of what went along with being a Bills fan. But then the overspending by the richest teams meant that the Bills could not keep many of their star players and could not afford to acquire the top free agents. The difference in team revenues grew wider and wider because of ticket and luxury box prices.

This isn't a knock on Wilson, who could have done a number of ugly things along the way, including moving or selling the team. It's the way the league has evolved. So now, after 48 years of supporting the Bills, I am struggling to have a vision of the preferred future for the team, and I cannot come up with one. With a diminishing population and corporate presence, Buffalo cannot financially support an NFL team in today's league, in a manner that would allow them to be financially (and talent) competitive.

the guy's got more money then he can ever spend, yet pleads poverty. and he also wouldn't know a good football man if he walked up and smacked him in the forehead. the bills will never ever win consistently again while he owns the team.