Why This Wasn't a Meaningless Win

JDG

Its easy to dismiss this game as a meaningless win, but I think that completely overlooks what a legitimate big win this really.

O.k. the Bills are out of the playoffs - but this kind of game should give us all hope that this team and its young QB are headed in the right direction.

JDG

As much as I'd like to share in your enthusiasm and optimism, this has all the warning signs of being yet another season that the team has somehow managed to pull a job-saving rabbit out of their helmets for Jauron. I'm happy for the players. Period. There are some guys that have played their guts out the entire year, every game. Not all, but some. Kudos to those guys.

Me? I don't want Jauron back for another 7-9 or 8-8 or even 9-7 season. I want him gone and anything that prolongs his tenure is going to give the Bills another year of the same underachievement. If Atlanta, Baltimore and My Yami can turn their teams around in 1 year, so can the Bills. The operative word being, "can".

The Bills have won in spite of Jauron, not because of him. I'm glad they won in Denver and I think they have the basis for a pretty good team. But they are going to be stuck from 7-9 to 9-7 as long as Jauron is here. I don't mean to be the voice of doom, but if the Bills beat the Jets next week and it happens to save Jauron's job......well........did you see the movie "Groundhog Day"?

Completely, totally agree. Even if we beat the Pats*, I still would be un-happy with this season in particular and DJ in general. If we lose to them, we will have to suffer the ignominy of being swept by the AFCE, which by itself is quite quite disgusting.

I pretty much agree, but I actually would REALLY like to see a victory over the Pats. Does it salvage the season? No. Does it give reason to expect more next season? Not necessarily. Does it about destroy the Pats playoff chances? YES -- ABSOLUTELY!!!! Go Bills.

Its easy to dismiss this game as a meaningless win, but I think that completely overlooks what a legitimate big win this really.

Folks, we just won a game at Mile High in Denver! How many tough road games has this team won this decade?

Sure, the Broncos are a flawed team, but this was a team that knew that it could either win on Sunday and secure a division title, essentially a bye next week, and a home playoff game in the Wildcard Round - or they could have to go to San Diego next week in a de facto winner-take-all road playoff game against a Chargers team that had rightly nearly beat them in their own house earlier this season.

This was a huge game for the Broncos. Moreover, this was a Broncos team that was getting healthier on defense with the return of Champ Bailey at LB and getting healthier at Linebacker.

Plus, Trent finally won a game in cold weather.

And we won a game without Jason Peters, and without Marshawn Lynch for the second half.

Finally, I think we shouldn't overlook the fact that our defense *twice* managed to keep Jay Cutler and the Broncos out of the end zone at the end of the game, with Denver's season on the line. Those were big-time stops - and again, how many of those kind of stops has our defense made in the past decade?

O.k. the Bills are out of the playoffs - but this kind of game should give us all hope that this team and its young QB are headed in the right direction.

JDG

I guess. Invesco is no Mile High; the Raiders & Jags both manhandled them in that building.

The Jets 2 years ago was a better road win, which amounted to zero wins the following year.