how about this for a GM

robkmil

per pft.

PIOLI READY TO FLY THE COOP?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2008, 11:38 a.m.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that, according to unnamed league sources, there are signs that Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli could be ready to leave the organization and become a G.M. elsewhere.

If, per Mort, the right job comes along.

Pioli’s apparent interest in exploring other opportunities might have something to do with the significant success of former Pats director of college scouting Thomas Dimitroff, who has helped turn around the Falcons after a disastrous 2007 season.

Some believe that Pioli will never leave New England and coach Bill Belichick. Both men arrived in Foxborough in 2000, and they have won three Super Bowls together, and completed the first 16-0 regular season in league history in 2007.

Others believe that the perception Pioli is staying put has kept him out of the running for G.M. jobs elsewhere.

But, as we’ve previously pointed out, presumed reluctance has never kept NFL teams from chasing guys like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, and Bill Cowher.

With a bunch of G.M. positions likely to be available this year, Pioli will surely be getting some sniffs. The question is whether he’s inclined in each given case to sniff back.

------

what do you guys think?

Scott Pioli is listed on the Patriots website as "Vice President - Player Personnel"... so if another team wants to grab him, it usually would be to promote him to president.

I'd imagine the reason for this is the same reason as to why Bobby April has the title "Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams" so another team can't simply offer him a job as ST coach,it would be to a job title equal to or higher then what he already has.

Last year Thomas Dimitroff, scouting director for the New England Patriots, was named as general manager of the Atlanta and he is having great success at Atlanta so I'd expect lots of teams looking to grab personnel from the Patriots again.Another name I'm hearing about is Josh McDaniels to a head coach from Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks. But he turned down job offers last year so I suspect he will only go for a select job opening.

Russ Brandon is a self-proclaimed personnel guy. I like our chances. :thumbsup:

And he actually thinks he's capable of out-maneuvering the Parcells, Pioli's, and Belichick's of the AFCE! We are fast becoming the Detroit Lions East. Inept leadership that promotes failed execs and those not qualified to greater responsibilities. Scary stuff.

Scott Pioli is listed on the Patriots website as "Vice President - Player Personnel"... so if another team wants to grab him, it usually would be to promote him to president.

Pioli is VP of Personnel, but his is a unique situation. Both he and Belichick seem to share the function of GM. Their's is the only example of such a combination, but they're obviously successful. I think he's looking to be a GM first and foremost, but his track record is so good, an owner ought to trust him to be president. Bill Polian is president of the Colts.

He's in his mid forties, Parcells' son-in-law, and one of the best talent evaluators in the league. Someone would pay a king's ransom for his services. And that someone won't be the Buffalo Bills, who find new ways to create mediocrity. It continued last year by making the business/marketing guy a bonafide NFL GM.

And he actually thinks he's capable of out-maneuvering the Parcells, Pioli's, and Belichick's of the AFCE! We are fast becoming the Detroit Lions East. Inept leadership that promotes failed execs and those not qualified to greater responsibilities. Scary stuff.

Pioli is VP of Personnel, but his is a unique situation. Both he and Belichick seem to share the function of GM. Their's is the only example of such a combination, but they're obviously successful. I think he's looking to be a GM first and foremost, but his track record is so good, an owner ought to trust him to be president. Bill Polian is president of the Colts.

He's in his mid forties, Parcells' son-in-law, and one of the best talent evaluators in the league. Someone would pay a king's ransom for his services. And that someone won't be the Buffalo Bills, who find new ways to create mediocrity. It continued last year by making the business/marketing guy a bonafide NFL GM.

Apparently, Larry isn't buying.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/529324.html