Article about Joe Paterno

Like A Mofo

Its very hard to say, but it might be time for Joe to step down. I would hate to see this College Football legends career be tarnished here at the end of his career.

Thoughts???

JoePa

Penn State has Coke-bottle glasses about JoePa

ct. 27, 2004

By Dennis Dodd

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

National feature | Notebook

At least Florida had the power to fire its coach.

Penn State has no such option. The only person who can determine the future employment of Joe Paterno is Joe Paterno. And at last check the 77-year-old was armed with a four-year extension as a foundation for an increasingly obvious stubborn streak.

The silly season kicked off early Monday with the firing of Ron Zook at Florida. The 2004-05 round of coaching changes apparently won't include the departure of Paterno. What was merely uncomfortable the past couple of seasons could get flat-out embarrassing in Happy Valley.

Those Coke bottles might help JoePa focus on his world, but they're still blocking his view. Saturday's 6-4 loss to Iowa proved that -- or rather reinforced it. The Nittany Lions have few Big Ten-quality athletes, even fewer playmakers.

They are 2-5 this season and 5-14 over the past two seasons. In the last four-plus seasons, Penn State has lost 31 games. That's not a blip on the radar, friends, that's a trend. The school lost a total of 22 games in the 1970s, 28 in the 1980s and 26 in the 1990s.

What little Big Ten talent Paterno does have, he doesn't seem to know what to do with. The coach lashed out at reporters last week after calling quarterback/receiver Michael Robinson "one of the best football players I have ever coached."

Don't question me," Paterno added.

Robinson promptly went out and threw two interceptions and fumbled on plays that ended Penn State's final three possessions. Most troubling, and usually a sure sign a coach is in trouble, is thousands of empty seats at Beaver Stadium.

Apparently, not at Penn State where the school would be firing one of its biggest donors who has ties to bigger donors. That the final score was the same as the first college football game played in 1869, between Rutgers and Princeton, taints those first noble football warriors.

I have to say that I never thought that I would say it but Joe needs to retire. I think that Penn State needs to bring in a new head coach who can shake up the program and have the power to make necessary changes.

And that is not Jay Paterno....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.