Free agency should be abolished

eliteqb

Um, no. I like free agency as long as the salary cap is there to protect the balance in the league.

You wouldn't need a cap if there was no free agency. But you would need an owner to invest in front office people who can evaluate talent.

You wouldn't need a cap if there was no free agency. But you would need an owner to invest in front office people who can evaluate talent.

The Bills of the early 90's used that system to make great teams and it's awesome when it works but horrendous when it doesn't. It would be cool to keep guys forever though and keep team continuity.

Free agency makes bad teams better and good teams worse - I think a more competitive league makes for a more interesting league.

And I should note here: If you don't like the holdouts under the franchise tag, get used to ten or fifteen holdouts per team if there's no unrestricted free agency and it's the only option to negotiate.

Free agency makes bad teams better and good teams worse - I think a more competitive league makes for a more interesting league.

And I should note here: If you don't like the holdouts under the franchise tag, get used to ten or fifteen holdouts per team if there's no unrestricted free agency and it's the only option to negotiate.

When do the Bills do that "better" thing?

Free Agency may be the #1 reason why we eventually lose the Bills

Free agency led to higher salaries, higher salaries led to higher ticket prices and private corporate boxes,and without corporate boxes you lose your team.

Selling out the stadium is not good enough anymore.

Should GM and Ford go under in Buffalo....well, you do the math.

Just out of curiousity, he're the all-active, all-Bills-drafted team. Let me know if you have any thoughts:

QB: Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Todd Collins

RB: Marshawn Lynch, Willis McGahee, Shawn Bryson (I'm assuming Travis still gets suspended)

FB: Sammy Morris

WR: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, James Hardy, Stevie Johnson (look familiar?)

OT: Jason Peters, Jonas Jennings, Demetrius Bell

OG: Brad Butler, Mike Pucillo, Aaron Merz

C: Duke Preston (only center drafted since 1995. This may be why we suck at this position)

DE: Aaron Schobel, Ryan Denney, Chris Ellis, Chris Kelsay

DT: Kyle Williams, John McCargo, Marcus Stroud (trades are fine), Tim Anderson

LB: Keith Ellison, Paul Posluszny, John DiGiorgio, Mario Haggan

CB: Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Terrence McGee, Jabari Greer, Leodis McKelvin (our clear strength)

SS: Donte Whitner, George Wilson

FS: Ko Simpson, John Wendling

Free agency led to higher salaries, higher salaries led to higher ticket prices and private corporate boxes,and without corporate boxes you lose your team.

I'm really not convinced that the owners would have decided to make less money just because they were paying less in salary. Jerry Jones would just be richer, and he'd be buying players from the Bills instead of signing our UFAs.

If anything, with lower salaries, football teams would be a safer investment, meaning more people would want to buy them, they'd be more valuable, and therefore more difficult to purchase for a local group.

I'm really not convinced that the owners would have decided to make less money just because they were paying less in salary. Jerry Jones would just be richer, and he'd be buying players from the Bills instead of signing our UFAs.

If anything, with lower salaries, football teams would be a safer investment, meaning more people would want to buy them, they'd be more valuable, and therefore more difficult to purchase for a local group.

Great point.