Levy's Legacy

BillsVet

Despite what everyone thinks, Levy was only a mediocre coach who lucked out in having multiple Hall of Fame caliber players.

Sorry, but no way do I buy this. Which came first, the winning, or the Hall of fame?

It's harder to diagnose losing than winning. To win at the level the Superbowl Bills did a lot of things have to go right, including talent, coaching and an effective organization. I think the coaching then was very good, and no doubt worlds beyond what we have now.

Along these lines, I'd like to see someone step up and say clearly that calling time outs because the players don't line up fast enough, the plays haven't come in on time, the wrong players are on the field, the QB can't read a defense and audible etc. is NOT acceptible. Yes, these happen to all teams sometime, but should not be a crutch. These timeouts are just markers of a poorly run team (coaching).

Time outs should be seen as vauable strategic resources that allow you to challenge plays and help you put points on the board. Trying to get a FG in the last minute of the first half should not be considered a risky maneuver.

So yeah, I think our coaching is lacking, but to be critical of Levy-era coaching is nit-picking at best. (And that's when examples are provided.)