The line is not as bad as people think

Mikie2times

With Sunday ticket I get a chance to watch just about every NFL game. Week in and week out the one thing that I notice most about Bills games is the amount of times we get blitzed. When you watch 95% of the other games you will notice about half the amount of blitzes you would see in one Bills game.

The NFL is a game of percentages and the reason we get blitzed the way we do is that the success rate is astronomical. Until we can learn to beat the blitz I don't ever see this offense ever getting to where it needs to be. In my mind their is three main reasons why blitzing is to attractive to opposing defensive coordinators.

1. We have announced to the world that we are going to be a running team, passive blitzing in running situations is a great way to stop a play from starting.

2. In order to make a defensive coordinator's scared to blitz you need to beat the blitz. In order to beat the blitz you need to have enough time to exploit the one on one match ups. WE WLL NEVER HAVE THE TIME TO EXPLOIT MATCHUPS WITH A AVERAGE OFFENSIVE LINE (point #3) AND QUARTERBACK WHO CAN'T GET OUT OF THE POCKET.

3. We have a offensive line that is very average at blitz pick-ups, however I feel that their ineptitude is more a result of reason #2 then just bad line play. Yes they are not that good, but only a handful of offensive lines in this league could handle the amount of blitzes they see each Sunday.

When you look at how other teams successfully handle the blitz you either have three combinations, neither of which the Bills fit under.

1. Scrambling QB/Any type of line

2. Pocket shifty QB/Average line

3. Pocket QB/Excellent line

The fact is we have average O-Line and a Pocket QB, that combination has not been able to beat the blitz in 2 1/2 seasons. The talented skilled position players we have don't have the time to win their individual match ups. If we can beat the blitz this whole offense improves, we won't see as many run blitzes, our receivers will be able to win their match-ups, and we will get better pass protection as a result of fewer blitzes. While Bledsoe may be able to run many parts of this offensive more effectively JP will have a better chance at beating the blitz. When healthy I say give the kid a shot.

You have a point about the amount of blitzing our line faces, but the bottom line to me is red zone rushing. Our o-line is awful in the red zone. Howard Simon gave a stat today, we had 4 rushing attempts inside the 10yd line and we gained a total of 3yds.

Drew has made a lot of bad throws. The line has missed a lot of blitz pick-ups. The receivers have dropped a lot of passes. But, nobody would be talking about it, if we could just punch the ball in the endzone when it counted.

1-5 could easily be 3-3 or 4-2.

You have a point about the amount of blitzing our line faces, but the bottom line to me is red zone rushing. Our o-line is awful in the red zone. Howard Simon gave a stat today, we had 4 rushing attempts inside the 10yd line and we gained a total of 3yds.

Drew has made a lot of bad throws. The line has missed a lot of blitz pick-ups. The receivers have dropped a lot of passes. But, nobody would be talking about it, if we could just punch the ball in the endzone when it counted.

1-5 could easily be 3-3 or 4-2.

85750[/snapback]

I can't argue with that assessment, certainly our lack of a running game in the red zone this year has been devastating. I cited the blitz as the reason because in the past we could run in the red zone. I look at this offense over the past few years and its the same thing all the time. Plenty of sacks that kills drives before they start, multiple turnovers, and plenty of holding calls. I think those things are a result of the blitz more then anything else.

I look at this offense over the past few years and its the same thing all the time. Plenty of sacks that kills drives before they start, multiple turnovers, and plenty of holding calls.  I think those things are a result of the blitz more then anything else.

85753[/snapback]

I agree and I said almost the exact same thing to a friend of mine a few weeks ago. This red zone thing is just killing me this year. I just don't understand why 5 OL guys all over 300 pounds, 2 TEs each 240+ pounds, a 250 pound FB and a 200+ pound RB can't find the endzone. :angry: