Please, Mike, Let Drew Be Drew...

He's tried to be what you wanted and needed him to be. But the hits and the years and the attempt to rewire his clock have left him emasculated, his instincts shot. I am not blaming you, or Clements, or Wyche. I think you are all smart, sensitive men and accomplished QB coaches, as shown by your rescuing the careers of Maddox and Kordell.

Drew has seen many years in the league, but he's still a lead dog and not really suited to running anywhere but in front. As the sun sets on his day in Buffalo, please let Drew be Drew. Let him go down blazing and not worrying about footwork and alarm clocks and dink passes to the flat.

He's still highly regarded and, indeed, beloved by many of the fans who follow the team-- especially those who are not the type to devote themselves to talk shows and internet message boards. For his sake and theirs, let him go down with his gun loaded and his instincts unleashed. It would be the fitting thing to do for an estimable quarterback and an even more estimable human being.

I know there are some football reasons why this might not be advisable, but wouldn't it be worth the risk?

Not that I disagree with your desire here, but lets be realistic. Drew is Drew and always will be. The league has him figured out. You run blitz on every play. Stuffing gaps and getting pressure up the middle. The outside DE's pin their ears back and fly as fast as they can to the center of the pocket, where Drew stands dazed, confused and unable to hit an accurate downfield pass. Thus, they stop the run with the run blitz and bull rush Drew right into his face. He panics forcing him into bad habits with his mechanics and the Baltimore game is the result. The entire league knows this. Just look to the pre-game comments by Suggs. Every D is licking their chops with us on the schedule.

Nice thoughts man! Drew is a good human being. But, he is a shadow of his former self. I guarantee that Matthews has not seen duty because TD is affraid that Drew will never again see the field and will never again regain his lost dignity. TD and MM desperately want to see Drew succeed. Heck I think most of us Fans would love to see the same. Unfortunately, the experiment is over. The JP era is upon us. Drew needs to step down with class. His career is over.